• April 24, 2024, 12:29:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few questions about iPad-like devices . . .  (Read 565 times)

Snafuperman

• View Profile
A few questions about iPad-like devices . . .
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:54:02 AM »

Once upon a time I was hip to all the new tech but now, since I've aged, I am no longer current.  To show you how un-current I am:  I still have a flip-phone.  I am still pretty computer-savvy. 

OK, here are my dumb questions . . .

I am planning on taking a longish road trip next year, about a month, between the SW part of the US and the Midwest.  I am thinking of getting either a smart phone or a pad to take with me to keep current on things.  I don't really need a phone so I was thinking more about the pad.  If purchasing a pad, is the ISP connection similar to that of, say, an iPhone?  Will the pad have the same connectivity as the phone?

Ashveratu

• View Profile
Re: A few questions about iPad-like devices . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »

Several tablets have sim chips with data only capability. Basically, cell phone like service but data only, no voice. You may have enter into a service or contract agreement to active the service. Since you will only be using it while on a trip, you could possibly get away with only using wifi and free wifi hotspots.

In short, yes, most tablets have the same connectivity capability as current phones, minus voice.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »

Some tablets come with a 3G antenna and a chip to authenticate with networks. I know the iPad does, and the unit cost is about $130 higher with that option.

And some carriers have pay as you go data plans for just this kind of thing. But I haven't done this in a while.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »

Free wifi hotspots are cool, so you don't need a data sim subscription. And the wifi can accomodate cheap tablets, no need to purchase the big names... That lets you more money left to take care of your bike and of yourself!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »

If you get a device that can accept a SIM card, you can buy a $35 prepaid sim card from Walmart (or a million other places)
The data will stop when it runs out, but it should more than cover the trip, and let you use maps on the go to find cool things around you on your trip.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »

Thanks for the info!  Helps a lot.

How about free wifi spots . . they probably aren't secure, are they?  I would like to pay bills and do some banking things while on this trip.  Seems with free wifi that would be risky ?????

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »

Free wifi hotspots are cool, so you don't need a data sim subscription. And the wifi can accomodate cheap tablets, no need to purchase the big names... That lets you more money left to take care of your bike and of yourself!
But the free wifi hotspots are not secure?

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »

If you get a device that can accept a SIM card, you can buy a $35 prepaid sim card from Walmart (or a million other places)
The data will stop when it runs out, but it should more than cover the trip, and let you use maps on the go to find cool things around you on your trip.
That's an interesting solution.  Is this a difficult thing to do?  Meaning, can I add the sim card myself?

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »

Can I assume that what goes for a pad-device also goes for a laptop?

While on this trip I will want to check e-mail, pay bills, do some banking things.  It looks like this would be secure with cell-phone/SIM connectivity and not secure with available wifi hotspots.  A dilemma. 

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »

That's an interesting solution.  Is this a difficult thing to do?  Meaning, can I add the sim card myself?
yeah, its just a little card similar to a compact flash card.  You usually use a little pin tool (they usually come with the card) or a paperclip to pop out the "tray" from the device.  drop the card in and push it back until it clicks.

When you buy it, theres a barcode on the box that they use to activate the card.
On some cards, you can even "buy more time or data" over the phone using your credit card, incase you want to recharge it.

It does work on laptops as well if they support SIM card use.  For example my work lenovo laptop does. I turn on the data the same as turning on Bluetooth or Wifi, and after a couple seconds to connect, it works anywhere... even driving down the road.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »

It does work on laptops as well if they support SIM card use.  For example my work lenovo laptop does. I turn on the data the same as turning on Bluetooth or Wifi, and after a couple seconds to connect, it works anywhere... even driving down the road.
I'm seriously thinking about a laptop now.  My wife and I can use it at home for backup internet access if the power fails.

If the laptop comes with the sim card adapter and a sim card, how is the wireless service provider determined?  Does each service have its own sim cards?  Or can a sim card be used for all different providers?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »

I'm seriously thinking about a laptop now.  My wife and I can use it at home for backup internet access if the power fails.

If the laptop comes with the sim card adapter and a sim card, how is the wireless service provider determined?  Does each service have its own sim cards?  Or can a sim card be used for all different providers?

Im not an expert, I only know about the stuff I have played with. That said I think they all have their own SIM cars.
You usually get a new SIM card with whatever provider you choose... so if you get the cheapie prepaid SIM from straight talk, thats what you have. If you sign up a contract with a cellphone provider like ATT, Verizon, etc  they will also give you a new SIM card.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »

btw, if you're already paying for data on a smartphone, the absolute cheapest way to do this occasionally is to just set your smartphone to be a WiFi hotspot.  If you're willing to trudge through how to set it up (you can lookup how online) you can make it so your phone works with any WiFi device.

then the device works everywhere too.
This is what I do for my personal laptop... only my work laptop has the SIM card.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »

Chatted with a Dell rep.  He said that some of their business laptops come with a sim card and that I could choose whihcever service I want.  But I didn't ask how that was done.  Anyone know?  Call up the provider (AT&T for example) and give them by sim card number?

BTW, I don't have any sort of smart device -- just an old-tech flip-phone.

A sim-connected laptop could do double duty -- for my wife and I.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »

I did some more research . . .

I think I'm going to buy a business laptop with a sim adapter/card and all I have to do is call up a wireless provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc.), pick a wireless plan, give them the IMEI number, pay them, and I'm in business.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Pages: [1] 2