• April 27, 2024, 05:06:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.  (Read 6910 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 12:39:45 AM »

I'd be tempted to run them through the rear plastics, and then under the seat.
The only thing needed from the SCv2 charging array is access to is the AUX charging port. No need to route through the internals of the bike.

While this install looks very clean and well-thought-out, the best result will always involve minimizing chafing, bending, and movement of the cables. Routing the cables under the seat with some mesh sheathing seems like a good idea aside from the bend needed to get there from that port.

Of course, I'm more comfortable attaching the cables to the controller's battery terminals, partly because I know that when I place that end of the cabling, it won't move.

I think for running the cables outside, a stiff shrink-wrap tube and a mesh sheath around the cables might help, tucked just under the edge of the seat and probably zip-tied to the top rack bars.

I should warn that leaving a cable like this plugged into the accessory charging port makes the bike vulnerable to cutouts from moisture on the signal pins in the accessory inlet, particularly in a heavy rain. I've had a bike cut out on me because I left a Y-splitter plugged into the port and it even got the fault while the rubber boots covered both Y plugs. Again, in a heavy rain.

dukecola does seem to have some of these risks in mind, but it's worth mentioning.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »

I asked Brandon if there were any issues leaving it plugged in, he said just leave it plugged in all the time. I'm not opposed to attaching them direct to the controller's battery terminals, you have a link to a installation of how that looks? What about rubber sealing the Anderson at the aux port. Similar to the slip-on boot?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 01:07:16 AM »

I asked Brandon if there were any issues leaving it plugged in, he said just leave it plugged in all the time. I'm not opposed to attaching them direct to the controller's battery terminals, you have a link to a installation of how that looks?

I'll post a couple of my best photos in a moment. Brandon's okay'd releasing relevant parts of what I documented; I just haven't followed up properly.

Mostly, rain is fine, but spray up from the wheel and belt at speed in a heavy rain can sometimes defeat engineering assumptions.

What about rubber sealing the Anderson at the aux port. Similar to the slip-on boot?

Yes, that seems to be fine. I've used self-adhesive vinyl wrap tape that way partly for strain relief on the back of the connector.

Aside: I found this strain relief bracket just now, but it's for a different-sized Anderson connector:
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-945-sb175-cable-clamp

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »

@BrianTRice I've ridden in all-weather and not experienced that issue yet.

Connection on my bike as shown from http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#DigiNow_Super_Charger_V2:

If the bike rides through some mud or deep water I could see a potential for contaminants getting into the back of that SBX connector. The more common event for me would be condensation from atmospheric water vapor, so I'm likely to leave this connection open-air unless I encounter that error condition.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:26:46 AM by Shadow »

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »

Here's the flange inlet I used. I removed the plug guts and sawed off most of the housing, leaving only enough for the rubber plug to sit in for a good seal.

These can be found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E6N0XFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's how I mounted the fresh air intake on the bottom. This pic was  dry fit, I actually used black Nylon Machine screws and nuts to secure it. There wont be any stress on this so didn't need to use steel bolts, plus the black looks better. 

Here's how I mounted the exhaust vents.  I put one on each side rather than in top, looks better and since they are on the side of the top lid, they will vent air just fine.

Side vents look nice closed up.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:50 AM »

I asked Brandon if there were any issues leaving it plugged in, he said just leave it plugged in all the time. I'm not opposed to attaching them direct to the controller's battery terminals, you have a link to a installation of how that looks?

I don't have the lug specs handy, but do know to ensure you get a top-notch crimp job since these should handle 80A @ 116V.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »

I'll post a couple of my best photos in a moment. Brandon's okay'd releasing relevant parts of what I documented; I just haven't followed up properly.

Mostly, rain is fine, but spray up from the wheel and belt at speed in a heavy rain can sometimes defeat engineering assumptions.

What about rubber sealing the Anderson at the aux port. Similar to the slip-on boot?

Yes, that seems to be fine. I've used self-adhesive vinyl wrap tape that way partly for strain relief on the back of the connector.

Aside: I found this strain relief bracket just now, but it's for a different-sized Anderson connector:
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-945-sb175-cable-clamp

Thanks, that'd be great. I like that strain relief bracket, will def get one. This is the tape I plan on using going from connector up to the case. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LA2258/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Basically, you can roll it over a wire, or sandwich it. Self adhering, insulates, strong and waterproof. Plan was to sandwich it over the three wires coming out of the connector and then painting waterproof liquid electrical tape from it onto the connector to get a waterproof seal. It's pliable, so it can be pulled off easy if necessary. liquid tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPAN2K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:34 AM »

I don't have the lug specs handy, but do know to ensure you get a top-notch crimp job since these should handle 80A @ 116V.
Awesome. I'll likely hook up this way. I have electrician in the family, I'll see if he can point me to someone who can crimp properly.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 01:50:40 AM »

Oh, for those of you wondering how 25lbs in the top case effected bike handling. Wife and i went for 100mi ride Sun with charger in the top case.  I really didn't notice anything different, but that's prob because I mostly ride 2-up anyway, what's another 25lbs.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2017, 02:05:16 AM »

Awesome. I'll likely hook up this way. I have electrician in the family, I'll see if he can point me to someone who can crimp properly.

I made a wiki article for it at least: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Through_Sevcon_Controller

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »

Oh, for those of you wondering how 25lbs in the top case effected bike handling. Wife and i went for 100mi ride Sun with charger in the top case.  I really didn't notice anything different, but that's prob because I mostly ride 2-up anyway, what's another 25lbs.

Mind whether the case waves around at all. Make sure it doesn't flex those rack bars.

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2017, 03:02:03 AM »

I recently installed a new accessory charger cable which terminates under the seat. Connected directly to battery terminals via a re set table circuit breaker, which I can access via the Frunk. Ideas was to be able to plug in chargers and leave them connected (eg in saddlebags) without the issues of the standard connector near the motor.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2017, 03:06:27 AM »

I recently installed a new accessory charger cable which terminates under the seat. Connected directly to battery terminals via a re set table circuit breaker, which I can access via the Frunk. Ideas was to be able to plug in chargers and leave them connected (eg in saddlebags) without the issues of the standard connector near the motor.

What exact breaker did you go with? Is that a Carlton? Fast or slow break?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »

Mind whether the case waves around at all. Make sure it doesn't flex those rack bars.
I'm watching that closely. Have a high density foam pad on the tail for now and next project is to mount additional support bars on each side. I wondering if I can run a support from top rack bar down to the side case bar, I don't carry much in the sides. I also don't carry a dog or boxes of chargers in the top case :-) Just the 6.6's only and they are mostly forward in the 52 ltr case.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5