• March 29, 2024, 08:58:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.  (Read 6868 times)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Diginow 6.6kw Supercharger in top case install project.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »

Top case may be very limited for permanent installation. What about mounting to crash bars, or side rack? Also what is the bad news from digiNow?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:44 AM »

Top case may be very limited for permanent installation. What about mounting to crash bars, or side rack? Also what is the bad news from digiNow?
The 6.6 modules fit nice in my top case. The bad news was only that my plans to run the wiring into the case via the bulkhead fitting I had planned will not be possible because the signal wires have a clip connector on the end and it's too big to fit thru the connector and the wires cant be cut and reattached  inside the case because those wires need full watertight integrity.  OK though, I spoke today with the shop that's redoing my seat and they are going to make me a pocket pouch that will mount on the case below the backrest. So, I'll be able to cut a big enough hole thru the case to get the connector inside. Side benefit is that I'll be able to store the wires in this pocket, and just open it when I stop to charge and extend the wires to the aux port. Here's what the pouch will look like.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:10:28 AM by dukecola »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:15:00 AM »

The connectors are just Anderson SB and Weatherpak, easy to source the pin removal tools for either.
*edit* maybe this?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IIY56E
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005T5Y6RE
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:23:52 AM by Shadow »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »

I don't know what kind of space three of these will need but as I was riding today i looked down at the "tank" and thought why not just make it bigger.  It has nice lines and is fine for the standard setup but I thinking of something like a combo of these concepts.

From the old "ZEV" bike:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5179.0;attach=4943
Also:  http://www.zelectricvehicle.com/resources/tank+storage+nobk2+wb.jpg

Achieving a higher wider bulbous profile like a triumph tiger or some of the Japanese sport bikes.

Just a quick Ebay search found this:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Honda-CBR600RR-600-OEM-Tank-Fairing-CowL-Fuel-Cover-Plastic-Red-Black-GAS-/281968807152?hash=item41a6a68cf0:g:GAUAAOSwP~tW6aTX&vxp=mtr

Would need heavy modifying for what ever you try but if your dropping $3600 for the chargers a few hundred for a system that holds them safely tucked away seems worth it.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

I don't know what kind of space three of these will need but as I was riding today i looked down at the "tank" and thought why not just make it bigger.  It has nice lines and is fine for the standard setup but I thinking of something like a combo of these concepts.

Achieving a higher wider bulbous profile like a triumph tiger or some of the Japanese sport bikes.

Would need heavy modifying for what ever you try but if your dropping $3600 for the chargers a few hundred for a system that holds them safely tucked away seems worth it.
Ideally mounting them in the current tank plastic is the best option, but us power tank owners have little other choice. If you tried to put even 2 modules in a jury-rigged taller tank, you'd be looking at close to 10" added height. Mounting them horizontal would be 5", doable, but combined width of those is 18" and that's wider than the bike. No real method to bolt them down either.  The way I look at it is 80% of my riding is local and the 13+PT provides plenty of range for a Sunday ride. So, with my top case install, in 2 minutes I'll be able to remove or install them in the case if a particular trip will need fast charging.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »

Since I've got plans to add a tail later I'm looking to maybe install it in a pelican case like this.

Of course it has to be rotated to no fuck up the streamline too much. But for the rest it seems like a good candidate, it can be mounted very sturdy permanently on the bike, the case it self is also very though and waterproof.

Can somebody shoot holes in this plan or is it decent?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »

Since I've got plans to add a tail later I'm looking to maybe install it in a pelican case like this.

Of course it has to be rotated to no fuck up the streamline too much. But for the rest it seems like a good candidate, it can be mounted very sturdy permanently on the bike, the case it self is also very though and waterproof.

Pelican cases are great. I put an Elcon 2500 in one for a mockup and it seemed extremely sturdy. I still find the rack more of a concern than the case...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »

Pelican cases are great. I put an Elcon 2500 in one for a mockup and it seemed extremely sturdy. I still find the rack more of a concern than the case...
I don't have the Zero with me now but aren't there extra mounting holes in the frame for the side rack? If so a simple strut would make a lot of difference.
Also it will be a bit more forward so it doesn't stick so much out of the back:

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »

I don't have the Zero with me now but aren't there extra mounting holes in the frame for the side rack? If so a simple strut would make a lot of difference.
Also it will be a bit more forward so it doesn't stick so much out of the back:

Yes, that's a fine idea; push the load forward where it won't act as much like a lever on the top rack.

Putting some basic cushion under it so the seat absorbs some load and oscillation would also be good. For my tail understructure, I'm considering a thick aluminum plate bent into a box shape to fit over my Happy Trails rack and the top rack; and something to distribute the loading onto the seat would help.

Honestly, the new Superchargers / Elcons are short enough that you could just put the case over the seat and use brackets against the side racks themselves, freeing up the top case for normal cargo. I used a Pelican case on an Elcon 2500 vertically in the seat, but I think it'd work better with dual 3.3's and a smaller case:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6480
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »

Base mounting plate for the modules. .019 Aluminum 2024-T3. Drilled and ready to mount modules. I will be drilling vent holes in the base plate and the bottom of the top box that will be directly above the Givi top box universal mounting plate. The elcon's fans will draw cool air into the box from below and push the hot air out the top. Ultimately I want to be able to charge with the top box cover closed, not propped open. I'm still searching for the perfect vent grill. 

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »

I have my top box in this position. I do tend to clip it with my foot when getting on though.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »

Vent holes drilled. Reason I went with thicker aluminum was so I could drill holes and not lose strength.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 05:24:33 AM »

Here's the underside of assembled unit's vent holes. I will cut air openings in the bottom of top case that will allow air to be pulled in by the fans. 

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 05:27:02 AM »

Here's the assembled unit, essentially one piece so it can be lifted out for trips where charging isn't needed. 

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 05:38:21 AM »

Here's the unit dropped into the case. Since the walls of the top case are curved, I had to trim and bevel the corners of the base plate so it would sit flat on the floor. Next step installing high density foam around the perimeter of the plate to act as a shock absorber.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5