• April 27, 2024, 06:40:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It looks like I found the perfect low cost, no effort TMPS  (Read 778 times)

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
It looks like I found the perfect low cost, no effort TMPS
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:55:24 AM »

I think I found the perfect TMPS for an incredible low price and ridiculously easy set up.

VXF has the "steel mate" installed.
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6255.30
Middle of page.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steelmate-DIY-TP-90-LED-TPMS-Motorrad-Reifendruckkontrollsystem-mit-2-Sensoren-/201659092604?hash=item2ef3d18e7c:g:Gc0AAOSw8oFXyV1G

I really liked the looks of it etc.... but, if you are on a budget (who isn't),
Fullele Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4 External Sensors
$69.99 bucks on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZME9Q2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is probably one of the simplest units out there.

You stick it into your cigarette style 12V power outlet on your dash, screw the caps on, tighten the counter nut and set the system up
which is stupidly easy as well.
The manual doesn't reveal how to get to the proper values since they seem to go only up, put after a couple of minutes you instinctively just keep on pressing and realize that the values eventually restart at the lowest value.

Now, the one thing, although the unit works with just two or even one or three sending units, the issue is that the ones not in use blink with a 0, but, black electrical tape or gaffer tape will do wonders to take that irritating blinking out of your face.

It has high, low pressure warnings, rapid air loss warning and high temperature warnings as well as low battery warnings.
For that price to even get exchangeable battery option for the sending units is tremendous.

The best part seems to be that it gives you an instant reading right after you power the ignition on, so you can refill before you get on the road.
But I might be mistaken. I have not ridden it yet.

For $69.99 bucks with no wires to install whatsoever, if this unit keeps on working fine, I will buy one for my truck and my second bike too.

R7
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:05:58 AM by rider7 »
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: It looks like I found the perfect low cost, no effort TMPS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »

Added to my Amazon List - I often ride with my son... I'll use all four sensors.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:41 AM »

Added to my Amazon List - I often ride with my son... I'll use all four sensors.

ctrlburn,

I think it's a great buy. It also says real time monitoring, I guess that is why they instantly showed pressure as soon as I screwed them on.

Do you mean you would end up using the other two sensors on your son's bike?

If I understand you correctly, than you won't be able to do it unless the bike is within 2 meters I think, but come to think, that would be so cool, at a traffic light, as soon as your son comes close to you, you should be able to see his pressure too (after you pulled the tape from the display ;))

If you look at all the other units out there, none of them fit so perfectly in the corner of the Zero 12V socket and are as cheap as this one.

R7

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »

First follow up.

My first experience with this TPMS:

I have not covered up the two blinking zeros on the right hand side and it doesn't disturb at all, at least not me.

On thing that does bother a bit is that due to the two missing sensors that would usually go on the other car tires, the low pressure alarm does peep after a minute or so, it always takes me to get to a stand still to hear the peep though.

I tried to adjust the threshold down to 0 psi to match the zero psi indicated, but the lowest you can adjust them to is 2 psi.

I will contact the company and ask them if the two missing sensors can be somehow turned off.
In the answers on Amazon i think I read that you can use it on a trailer, well I know you can, but that would also require you to constantly reset the alarm.

Other than that, the once glance nicely tucked away display is awesome,

but I realized that some people might have an issue now.

If you are using this 12V outlet to charge your phone for instance, this TPMS might not be for you at all.

Now,
I bought a copy of the super popular and awesome RAM phone mount that actually has a charging base built in. Well, a charger that is built into the base of the mount. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UC20QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RAM copy,
seems to be made well, but it's probably inferior in terms of components breaking quicker.

I wired this to the SAE 12v aux outlet, (put a 5 way splitter for $6.47 on it first,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L643KS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it all tucks nicely around the ABS pump)

bought a 6 inch USB cable
$6.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0187UR4FI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and have my dedicated charging for GPS usage now.

So that freed my cigarette style outlet up and I can still use it to use my slime mini compressor
$12.99
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40020-Tire-Top-Inflator/dp/B002ZC1EOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489628527&sr=1-1&keywords=slime+top+off+tire+inflator

to pump up a flat after I plugged the tire with this kit
$25.43
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FHCH7O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It all fits easily in the tank luggage compartment and much more.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:05:37 AM by rider7 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

Yeah, I'm constantly running a USB cable to my phone since I use GPS on my phone to anticipate congestion on my 40-mile per leg commute.

On the other hand, I installed a second power outlet (via Sumimoto splitter) which could easily handle this into my Power Tank plastics.

I did install the second outlet to run a tire pump. The first outlet is directly a dual-USB outlet.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:27:45 AM »

Yeah, I'm constantly running a USB cable to my phone since I use GPS on my phone to anticipate congestion on my 40-mile per leg commute.

On the other hand, I installed a second power outlet (via Sumimoto splitter) which could easily handle this into my Power Tank plastics.

I did install the second outlet to run a tire pump. The first outlet is directly a dual-USB outlet.
Brian,

I know although I hate fart phones, I don't want to get stuck with no electrons in case I am in unfamiliar territory.
I only use the fart phone for that on my bike, I am more happy without it.

I am fairly certain you have the ram mount?

Check out the Chinese copy of it, (although the ram is probably Chinese as well).
The charger that sits nicely integrated in the base is really cool. With the 6" USB cable it keeps everything very nice and tidy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UC20QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, luckily you can run a ton of aux power through the DC- DC.

Rider7

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »

Quick second follow up:

Been riding the TPMS for a a a couple of weeks now and it is simply perfect.
Even the beeping after a minute or so is totally fine, since it reminds me to glance at it.
I press the button and it's silent for the rest of the ride.

It is amazing to see how the tire pressure is fluctuating with temperature change.
Easily 4psi up and down and it's not really hot here yet.

Rider7

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »

If you are connected to your phone while you ride, FOBO bike works well. No display mounted to your bike, it uses the phone as a an alert/display device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »

If you are connected to your phone while you ride, FOBO bike works well. No display mounted to your bike, it uses the phone as a an alert/display device.

+1 happy FOBO user. In fact, I got a set for my car, too. It can be a bit sluggish at times, but always (eventually) updates.  I only wish I didn't have to have two apps on my phone for the car and the bike.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »

I hear you,
I have seen it and considered it for a millisecond.

Sounds like it's a system that works well but......I happen to have had enough of this smartphone (fartphone) world.
I simply don't want to partake in the constant hardware race anymore with the constant firmware updates and slowed down performance etc.
every time I have to pair my phone with either bloothooth or wifi, I want to throw it on the wall.

I got so allergic to smartphones and how the world is addicted to it that even though they do have some awesome applications etc... I literally don't want to touch my cell phone unless I absolutely have to.
Oopppppssssss...... sorry, that wasn't planned. A rant against smartphones  :-\

So, that system is out for me.
The cool thing about the system I have is the price ($69.99) and it fits into the 12 V cigarette outlet by just slipping it in, that's it.
Given that you engage in making a separate 12V outlet for charging things like your hated cell phone hahahaha...

With this one, there is nothing to mount.
And the pressure readout is real time.

Thanks for sharing your experience though with the FOBO  :D

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »

Kinda late to this, but I've been using Fobo for a while now as well and it seems to work fine. Can't say I really like how Android app is implemented, (there's a service running constantly that eats up your battery and your have to turn it off manually every time you start Fobo app), but other than that I've got no complaints.

Funny thing is, Fobo sensors use Bluetooth LE which has greater range than Zero's MBB. So I can check my tire pressure when my bike is in the garage, but I can't see state of the charge, sadly  :-[

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »

Third follow up...
After a month of so riding with the Fullele TPSM I am very pleased and don't want to miss it anymore.

The low pressure warning peep for the two missing sensors turns out to be really no big deal.
You press the side button and be done with it for the rest of the ride.

For $69.99, real time readout and no real installation and exchangeable sending units batteries, unbeatable.

Rider7

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: It looks like I found the perfect low cost, no effort *TPMS*
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »

Third follow up...
After a month of so riding with the Fullele TPSM I am very pleased and don't want to miss it anymore.

The low pressure warning peep for the two missing sensors turns out to be really no big deal.

For $69.99, real time readout and no real installation and exchangeable sending units batteries, unbeatable.

Rider7

I'm tempted by

https://www.amazon.com/Meirun-Pressure-Monitoring-Cigarette-External/dp/B01JA92VIU

https://www.amazon.com/Vesafe-Monitoring-Real-time-Cigarette-CL-203/dp/B01LA90R6Q

Same price, but USB port charging.

How's yours holding up in weather?  I imagine, being made for cars, they tolerate heat OK but not necessarily moisture?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Seeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 04:22:25 AM »

I've never seen something like this for a motorcycle... Soon as I can, I'm going to work in an installation. As a routine rider, I forget to check, and it gets out of hand. This is brilliant, thank you!

rider7

• View Profile
Re: It looks like I found the perfect low cost, no effort *TPMS*
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 07:17:49 AM »

Third follow up...

Rider7

I'm tempted by

https://www.amazon.com/Meirun-Pressure-Monitoring-Cigarette-External/dp/B01JA92VIU

https://www.amazon.com/Vesafe-Monitoring-Real-time-Cigarette-CL-203/dp/B01LA90R6Q

Same price, but USB port charging.

How's yours holding up in weather?  I imagine, being made for cars, they tolerate heat OK but not necessarily moisture?

Togo,

I think you found the golden apple or whatever they say, the golden... the holy grail?
Anyway, yes, this is the solution to keep on having USB port capability.

Weather wise, oh oh... I have to let the cat out of the sack, although I have been riding for 32 years almost every day in all weather, I now am determined to keep my electric cat clean and dry forever.
Yes, I have another bike and an old truck that destroys all my zero emissions in one start up :)
I am using that for bad weather and since I livin in central Texas, I still get to ride almost every single day, since there is not much rain here.

So, I cannot tell how it holds up in weather, good point I must say.
For that the system from steel mate that vfx has mounted is probably better after all. And I know that he rides through German weather all the time.
It is actually prices still pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Wireless-External-Sensor-Display/dp/B012AEFMT2/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491700374&sr=1-8&keywords=Steelmate+tpms

If you end up installing one of the system you pointed out, let us know how they work for you.
Again, the peeping because of the two missing sensors and the blinking is not a big deal after all, despite that I thought it would be.

Seeth,
You too, let us know how yours works, if you end up installing one.
Again, I didn't kneed the extra USB, since I bought the RAM cell phone mount copy with an extra USB charger built in.

I for sure don't want to ride without it ever again. What a peace of mind and anti hassle device.

Rider7

Pages: [1]