• March 28, 2024, 09:08:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to the 2017 tank plastics on a 2016 SR?  (Read 671 times)

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
Has anyone upgraded to the 2017 tank plastics on a 2016 SR?
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:46 AM »

The shop damaged my tank plastics and Im attempting to get them to order a new one. Im considering upgrading to the 2017 so Ill have the lockable tank box.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone upgraded to the 2017 tank plastics on a 2016 SR?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:20:47 AM »

A 2017 tank with locking storage is compatible with 2013+ bikes.  Keep in mind they started painting the bikes in 2017 so the tank won't match the other red parts of your bike unless you replace them too.  Also you will probably have to carry a separate key for the tank unless you change the ignition to match the new tank key.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:44:03 AM »

A 2017 tank with locking storage is compatible with 2013+ bikes.  Keep in mind they started painting the bikes in 2017 so the tank won't match the other red parts of your bike unless you replace them too.  Also you will probably have to carry a separate key for the tank unless you change the ignition to match the new tank key.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks dude!  How are you liking the 2017 thus far?  I didn't factor in the color difference, so I'm glad you mentioned it.  I'm currently attempting to get the dealer to quote me on the lock box only and not the entire tank plastics, with the idea being to swap out only the zipper bag etc. and keep the molded plastic portion. 

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »

I have 2016 DSR (black) plastics to sell, from USA 96143. I have the tankbag pretty well used but no breaks or cracks, and I have brand new powertank.   I settled on the 2016 DSR chargetank plastics just installed them and went for the first ride of the new season.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »

Also you will probably have to carry a separate key for the tank unless you change the ignition to match the new tank key.

you can get a good locksmith to fix this to match.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:27 PM »

Thanks dude!  How are you liking the 2017 thus far?  I didn't factor in the color difference, so I'm glad you mentioned it.  I'm currently attempting to get the dealer to quote me on the lock box only and not the entire tank plastics, with the idea being to swap out only the zipper bag etc. and keep the molded plastic portion.

It's a definite improvement over the 2014 but I only have 800 miles on it and I am still riding the 2014 on a daily basis until the weather gets better.

It is possible to transplant the locking storage to your old plastic but it's kinda messy because of the way they melt the plastic pins to hold everything together.  Also, I will be surprised if you are able to buy the locking storage compartment without the rest of the tank plastic.  If you really want the locking storage I would just buy the new tank and buy a front fender and the tail plastic too.  The front fender and tail plastic aren't that expensive compared to the tank and the painted look is much nicer than the old dyed plastic and won't fade the way the old stuff does.

Another option would be to get the carbon fiber locking tank lid from Hollywood Electrics.  Probably the cheapest option and lets you use the stock key to lock since it utilizes the tank bag lock that is already on your bike.

Also you will probably have to carry a separate key for the tank unless you change the ignition to match the new tank key.

True, that's another option.
2014 Zero S

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 02:42:11 AM »

It's a definite improvement over the 2014 but I only have 800 miles on it and I am still riding the 2014 on a daily basis until the weather gets better.

It is possible to transplant the locking storage to your old plastic but it's kinda messy because of the way they melt the plastic pins to hold everything together.  Also, I will be surprised if you are able to buy the locking storage compartment without the rest of the tank plastic.  If you really want the locking storage I would just buy the new tank and buy a front fender and the tail plastic too.  The front fender and tail plastic aren't that expensive compared to the tank and the painted look is much nicer than the old dyed plastic and won't fade the way the old stuff does.

Another option would be to get the carbon fiber locking tank lid from Hollywood Electrics.  Probably the cheapest option and lets you use the stock key to lock since it utilizes the tank bag lock that is already on your bike.

The carbon fiber lid sounds like the route ill probably take, the new 2017 replacement tank plastics run $350 MSRP, and the carbon fiber lid is $300.  Neither a cheap option, but with the lid I dont have to get a new cowl and fender to match...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:43:59 AM by ZeroPointZero »
Pages: [1]