• April 24, 2024, 04:23:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Question about electric motor of Zero m/c.  (Read 1384 times)

Snafuperman

• View Profile
Question about electric motor of Zero m/c.
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:58:23 AM »

OK, this may sound dumb but here goes . . .

Is the Zero electric m/c a truly direct drive?  Meaning there's no centrifugal clutch?  So, when the ignition key is turned on, the electric motor doesn't start to slowly spin -- it only starts to spin when the throttle is twisted.

It would seem a bit dangerous going from a gas-powered motorcycle to an electric motorcycle because "blipping the throttle", a habit with a gas-powered m/c, might launch the electric bike out from underneath you?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Question about electric motor of Zero m/c.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:59:37 AM »

Seriously, there's NO reason to "blip" the throttle on an ICE bike, and you WILL launch yourself if you try that on the Zero.  It is a direct drive; no clutch, no gears.  When you aren't moving, there's no reason for the motor to be running either.  Unlike a gasoline engine an electric motor can go down to 0 rpm without "dying" and requiring a restart.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »

Yes, I know there is no reason to blip the throttle.  I'm just thinking that maybe I'll be sitting at a stop light and my conditioning from 46 years of riding 42 different motorcycles will kick in and I will zone-out and accidentally "blip" the throttle, launching the thing out from underneath me.

But you answered my question.  I also just got off the phone with the local Zero dealer (pretty lucky there) and we talked about the bike for a while.  Anyhow, thanks

No need for anyone to waste time on more responses!

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

Seriously, there's NO reason to "blip" the throttle on an ICE bike.
My CR500 disagrees with you.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »

Seriously, there's NO reason to "blip" the throttle on an ICE bike.
My CR500 disagrees with you.
I assume your talking about a CR500 setup for ice racing ?????   :)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:24 AM »

No need for anyone to waste time on more responses!

Yeah, sorry, not gonna happen. I used to be an incorrigible throttle blipper myself. I still do it, but very very gently, to toss the bike back and forth a few inches while I'm waiting for a light to turn green.

You develop a separate set of reactions. it's like when learning a different language, you might think you'd become confused at some point. But it doesn't happen..."Si Senor" is a very different response than "Thanks!". It's similar to the automatic clutch/neutral response. I'm sure when you approach a stop on an ICE bike, you pull in the clutch and slip the transmission into neutral. But when you approach a stop on an electric bike, you don't need to do either. You'll grab for the clutch a few times, feel like you need to prod the tranny into neutral, and realize you don't have to do either. But after a few times, you'll get the feel of it, and not do either.

Blipping is very similar, but more so. You'll remind yourself not to, and surprisingly, you'll remember! You know the consequences of a strong throttle blip -- throwing yourself out into traffic -- and you just won't do it. A light blip is fine, I often rock my bike back and forth at a stop, but you'll break the habit of severe blipping VERY fast...it'll kill you and you know it.

We don't just ride our bikes, they convey us at the same time. It's a symbiotic relationship --you adapt to them, they adapt to you.  They're machines in need of a pilot, we're pilots looking for the perfect machine.

My best input is very simple: Throw a leg over one. Ride it. Let it convey you. Then decide. Thtottle blipper or no. Just ride one.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »

The local Zero dealer told me to come over and drive one.  I will . . . soon.  I currently have 5 motorcycles.  I'm in the process of selling 3 of them, mainly to free up some room.  When that's done then I will seriously look into purchasing another bike.  A month or so from now, hopefully . . . .

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »

Snafuperman,

I have had my DSR for 900 miles now and I thought after 32 years of riding almost every day, I would also blip it, but as everybody else here says, there is no urge to do that either.
Since the bike is completely quiet, there is nothing to kind "keep alive" so to speak.

The one thing that I experienced though is that you have to do the equivalent of blipping when you do tight turns to simulate the torque control (to create the surges that push you forward and keep you upright) you have with the clutch on an ICE.
I am talking about as tight turns you can think of, where you begin hitting the steering end points.

Initially, when the bike begins to fall over to the insight of the turn, well, I would miss this super small mini clutching that allows you to create just that push that keeps you upright.
I realized that on the zero, you can drag the rear, or the front break, just as you can do it on the ICE and then play with the throttle to create that clutching surge you need to turn really tightly. If you are hitting your steering end points and you don't blip the throttle on the zero, well, your leg is coming out immediately.

Especially when you want to get around the turn, like a u-turn quickly and really take off right out of the turn, the blipping although not in the sense you mentioned it is essential.

So in a sense the throttle on a zero takes over the function of the clutch when you are at 2-4 mph and maneuvering.

But standing still, you simply enjoy the nothing that surrounds you, no noise, no vibration, just the calm before the storm.
Air clutching like it happened during my test rides has also stopped pretty much immediately after I got the bike as well as fake shifting.

R7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:12:47 AM »

Thanks for the tips R7.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:05:49 AM »

You're welcome.

You'll immediately know what I mean when you make slow tight turns, you'll begin playing with the throttle immediately so you don't need to use the leg like a beginner  :-[

R7

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 04:08:47 AM »

There are quite a few videos of Zero motorcycles on YouTube.  Great viewing!

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »

You know what I am most fascinated with

besides the pure grunt of acceleration, the effortlessness of catapulting yourself through tight traffic with nothing to do but to throttle up, and well,
that I travel to work for a dollar a week plus almost none existing maintence cost and
finally breaking the cycle of adding more pollution to our planet......

the thing I am most fascinated with is the noise or the lack of it this electric lady makes.

Having watched pretty much all the videos before I bought her and listening to the noise it makes,  I now always wonder how the pedestrians are perceiving the whhooosh... when I am riding by.  8)

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »

R7,  I'm the kind of guy who likes quiet motorcycles, even if they have an ICE.  All my motorcycles have had the stock exhaust.  I'm not a believer in "loud pipes save lives".  I am looking forward to an even quieter ride.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »

R7, why did you pick the DSR over the SR?  Just curious.  Is the street ride softer with longer-travel shocks?

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 07:19:56 AM »

R7,  I'm the kind of guy who likes quiet motorcycles, even if they have an ICE.  All my motorcycles have had the stock exhaust.  I'm not a believer in "loud pipes save lives".  I am looking forward to an even quieter ride.

Snafuperman,

I even go as far as feeling that especially most agricultural machines, eh.... they call them Harley's I think, should be ticketed by cops for literally disturbing the peace.

Well, we riders of motorcycles know that your brain saves lives not your pipes.
I understand that we disrupt normal timing and sequencing of traffic and that we are easlily ovelooked, but honestly, if you're making your life depending on the fact that a motorist hears you should stop riding.

I think we agree here.

R7 (I might have to be careful abbreviating my screen name from rider7 to R7, what is someone has that other username or creates one.
That could get confusing without constantly checking the header  :o

Pages: [1] 2 3