• April 25, 2024, 06:44:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX Tire Options  (Read 3237 times)

zdts

• 17FX
    • View Profile
FX Tire Options
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

Greetings, I recently got my hands on a new 2017 FX and am loving it so far. However I do a lot of off road including hill climbs, creek crossings, mud, single track, boulders, gravel, rocks. Around town it is mostly 25-40 mph pavement to run errands and such. I need to move to a more aggressive tire. I think I want to try the MotoZ Tractionator Enduro I/T.

Anyone try this one yet? Especially on the FX.

Also, they don't have a match on size for the back tire so I assume 110/100-18 would be the best bet?

Can the FX be updated for the different tire height to keep MPH/Odometer/ABS accurate?

thanks

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: FX Tire Options
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:33 AM »

I ran Motoz Terrapactor S/T's (soft/intermediate MX track tires) all last summer.  The tread pattern is similar to the Enduro IT, but the S/T knob spacing is a bit wider and the knobs themselves may be longer.  I thought they worked quite well at first, but soon afterwards they seemed to lose some grip, then stayed that way for a long time (Motoz tires last pretty well).  I just replaced them with a MaxxCross SI rear and Dunlop MX32F, which worked great for my single test ride.

Re size - if you're running a bare swingarm and shock protector (as I am) I'd go with the 130/90-18 rear and 80/100-21 non-FIM front.  FIM tires might work a tiny bit better on the road and hard pack, but the knobs are really short and they won't dig into the softer stuff or last nearly as long.  If you're running the swingarm-mounted sub-fender, you may have to be careful about both rear diameter and width.  The 2017's may be user-calibratable (?) for tire diameter, I'm not sure.

My experience with dirt tires is that softer-terrain tires will also work well on anything harder, but a harder-terrain tire won't work well on anything softer.  A bunch of tire folks I've spoken to at MC shows agreed, in a "but don't tell anyone!" kind of way.  :)

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »

I put a set of Pirelli XCMH on mine (120/100-18 and 80/100-21), seeking the best off-road tire that is DOT legal.  They are very capable off-road, but I ended up spending more time than I anticipated on the roads.  Almost 1,000 miles on them now and they're about gone.

The larger rear tire was the result of a dealer mistake.  It robs some torque, but had no problems with fit (no subfender).  I did not attempt any re-calibration.

The Zero MMX (military FX) uses Pirelli MT-21.

After some more research, I am eyeing Michelin T63 for my next set.  A little more road worthy, mostly capable off-road, and a good value.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:18:44 PM by acacia1731 »
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »

I am using the Michelin T63 front and rear. The other candidate was the Pirelli MT21 which is even a little more dirt oriented.

Riding mostly off road (intermediate to hard terrain, no sand), and the tires perform well, with no bad habits on road.

The more aggressive tires feels a bit unsafe on road, but if a more dirt oriented tire is still required, I would look into the Dunlop 606.

My T63 rear tire size is 110/80. But the 2014 fx have these older inch sizes 4.10 -18. So my main problem is finding same size tires, as legally I must have the same size tires as in the bike's permit and documentation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:03:12 AM by odedmaz »

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »

I am using the Michelin T63 front and rear. The other candidate was the Pirelli MT21 which is even a little more dirt oriented.

Riding mostly off road (intermediate to hard terrain, no sand), and the tires perform well, with no bad habits on road.

The more aggressive tires feels a bit unsafe on road, but if a more dirt oriented tire is still required, I would look into the Dunlop 606.

My T63 rear tire size is 110/80. But the 2014 fx have these older inch sizes 4.10 -18. So my main problem is finding same size tires, as legally I must have the same size tires as in the bike's permit and documentation.

The T63 on my 2014 FX

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »

pirelli scorpion rally's. Excellent manners and wear, DOT rated, and not too expensive.

my $.02,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

zdts

• 17FX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »

Great feedback everyone, thank you.

I like the idea of having the same tire they put on the MMX, that would eliminate the re-calibration issues for MPH/Trip.

Has anyone gone to a taller or shorter tire and had to/been able to re-calibrate?

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »

Short update -
Replaced both rear & front tires to the Pirelli MT43 trial-duro tires. They are DOT approved.

Traction is incredible. Rocks and hill climbs are so much easier. Less tire spin,it just grip.
Was unsure about the front tire, but it adds to the bike's suspension (feels softer). I noticed less washout of the front tire in loose rocks terrain.

Road use is very smooth as the knobs are close together. Nice experience.

The rear tire is larger in diameter than the FX original tire, so adjustment to the rear fender is needed. Also, a little less torque due to the larger diameter of the tire.
It raises the bike a bit, which I like very much as the FX is a bit smaller & lower than other dirt bikes.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:20:43 AM »

I've worn out three Motoz I/T's on the rear of my FX, they seem to round off pretty fast. I even cut the knobs to get more out of them. On a whim I'm going to try a Michelin S12 instead. Not DOT ( :-X) but I almost never ride pavement, soft intermediate, a good tire I'm told, we'll see. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190
Pages: [1]