• April 20, 2024, 10:35:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero  (Read 9034 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »

Haha Wolfsbane! I got a pair of serious LEDs and love them for their bright, white light (not blue). They are definitely heavier, with their little attached boxes and copper cooling braids. The trick with the projectors is to use bulbs that are the correct length so they focus properly. (Yes, a full redo from my previous post, it's like night and day.)
LED at night:
And by day:

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:58:20 PM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

Personally I'd like to break the fingers of the people who allowed these bright white lights on cars.  >:(

Even dipped I find they tend to blind me at night almost as if they are on full beam. Great for the driver, terrible for every poor sod who has to approach them.
I've taken to switching on main beam when they approach just so I get a little bit of vision.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 08:52:38 PM »

Personally I'd like to break the fingers of the people who allowed these bright white lights on cars.  >:(

Even dipped I find they tend to blind me at night almost as if they are on full beam. Great for the driver, terrible for every poor sod who has to approach them.
I've taken to switching on main beam when they approach just so I get a little bit of vision.
90% of the time, its not because the beam is bright... it is because they are aimed improperly.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »

Should campaign to have law enforcement enforce
safety matters like headlight aiming more, maybe.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:57 AM »

Many states used to make that part of the annual inspection. Now all they care about is emissions.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 04:14:16 PM »

90% of the time, its not because the beam is bright... it is because they are aimed improperly.

Not on every Merc and BMW they are not...   >:(
Plus the MOT here in the UK is pretty strict about headlight alignment, it's something that will have your car off the road until fixed.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »

I just replaced the headlight bulb on both my new 2017 DSR and my 1997 Honda Valkyrie with the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE bulb.  I know there's been a lot of debate on this thread about the technology and whether it's anything new or not, but all I can say is man, what an improvement over the stock bulb.

The difference on my Valkyrie was especially dramatic.  You don't realize how much your old bulb has degraded over time until you compare it to a new bulb.  If you haven't replaced your headlight bulb in a few years you should definitely consider doing so.

The improvement on my DSR was also quite noticeable and that bulb was almost new.

I am completely sold on these bulbs and would like to thank the OP for providing the information.

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 05:20:23 AM »

marsfix

• View Profile
Re: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero - Mike Mas
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

Just one observation:  "Yellow" in a headlight is NOT a bad thing.  It actually provides better contrast than blue or white and gives you slightly better depth perception as a result.  France actually mandated amber headlights for that reason (I don't know if they still do, or abandoned it when they joined the EU).

Sodium vapor lamps used to light streets are also yellowish, but I think the confusion they caused by drivers who didn't know if they were seeing a street light or a traffic light about to turn red killed those some years back.

It is also why so many shooter's glasses are tinted amber. 

That's really interesting.  I've always felt that white headlights just simply don't give me the same degree of depth perception.  But everywhere I read the marketing bumph saying the opposite so I assumed it was just as a result of my tungsten habits.  What you wrote fits in perfectly with my experience.

Of course nice, yellow, tungsten lighting at home is generally softer on the eyes too.  Even the "warm" coloured LEDs don't come close.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:17:30 PM by marsfix »

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »

Thanks for the post OP, very good write up.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »

I've been running the Sylvania ZXE bulb for a couple months now with no issues.  Nice bright, white light.  Love them.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:59 AM »

Do these Sylvania ZXE lamps work for the FX/FXS motorcycles?  The unofficial manual suggests things are different:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Aftermarket#Headlamp

The only "H3" version I can find on Amazon are the fog lamps, and I don't know if that'll work (or is even recommended).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO3JLYK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_znFUDb6MS81FV
Zero FXS 2020

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2019, 02:55:32 AM »

> Many states used to make that part of the annual inspection...

In California you don't even have to do that for the first how many years.  It's crazy.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »

Most western states have removed inspections as a cost saving measure.  I remember getting my first car inspected in Washington, but then they closed them down and privatized the system.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »

During my 57 years of riding motorcycles, I can't recall any time when California required any sort of a vehicle inspection except for emission equipment for automobiles once every other year, four years after buying a new car.  But there has never been any inspection program for motorcycles. Not safety, not emissions, not noise, nothing.  There has been talk about such things for years, but no action to set up any sort of an inspection program.  Probably because the infrastructure just isn't there.

Once you buy a motorcycle it is up to the owner to obey equipment and safety laws.  Needless to say not every owner does that.  And then there is the wild west resale market.  When you buy a used motorcycle in California (and likely other states, too), let the buyer beware.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5