• April 25, 2024, 04:44:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero  (Read 9048 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 02:21:58 AM »

Aside from the fact the Xenon gas burns at over 4,000 degrees Kelvin,
Thankfully, that's​ not what colour temperature means and really isn't what happening inside the bulb.

Cood point.

Is it just me, or are Low On Cash's posts starting to sound like they are driven by commercial interest (i.e. advertising).

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 03:17:25 AM »

Aside from the fact the Xenon gas burns at over 4,000 degrees Kelvin,
Thankfully, that's​ not what colour temperature means and really isn't what happening inside the bulb.

Cood point.

Is it just me, or are Low On Cash's posts starting to sound like they are driven by commercial interest (i.e. advertising).

Yeah I own Sylvania Xenon Halogen bulb company and I'm trying to drum up some extra business from Zero owners LOL!

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 03:21:16 AM »

You bring up an interesting point, Mike.  I'd long ago seen reports that NONE of the direct H4 LED replacement bulbs were considered street legal and your post explains why.  Simply replacing the bulb with an LED while still using the original reflector makes little sense and you explained why perfectly.

I'm still not convinced why I'd want a "whiter" or a "bluer" colored light (I pointed out in an earlier response that a yellowish hue would provide far better contrast at night and better depth perception) but this has been quite informative.  Thank you.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »

Hey guys Its a proven fact that vision is improved at night with whiter light. You can take my word for it since I've changed my bikes driving at night is a breeze compared to what it was with the lousy factory bulbs.

Also there is no blue in this bulb, the blue tint is only there for a high-tech look so when the light is off it gives the lamp a blue tint.  I have included an image below to help you visualize what I'm saying.

Enjoy - Mike

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »

Eye movements are improved with a broader spectrum of light.

Light sources with spectral spikes, omissions and un-natural curves compromise the eye's speed to track, focus and relocate.

Yes, bright light looks better and anyone who isn't an Optometrist will fight bear out of conviction they see better.
      But that crisp white from a narrow spectrum causes delays when your eyes move from object to object or attempt to track a moving object.
      Delays processing visual input means "Less Safe".

Energy Efficient Lighting can cause Biologically Inefficient Sighting.

I'm not saying I'll never have LED headlamps - They just need to do more than "appear brighter" for me to sign on.
     The adaptive LED  J.W. Speaker light, if it every becomes affordable to me is worth considering.
I'm not sure it going to save much power with all those processors.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »

Bright white LOOKS better on clear nights... but it absolutely SUCKS in the rain and fog.  That's when you appreciate the difference light in the more yellow end of the spectrum makes.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DesignerDan

• View Profile
Re: Whiter - Brighter & Safer Headlights For Your Zero - Mike Mas
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »

Hey guys, while it does not pertain to the Zero (at least yet) the beautiful 6 Cylinder BMW K1600GTL offers a real working Adaptive headlight. To my knowledge it's the only “real” adaptive headlight on a motorcycle. Unlike the JW Speaker's fixed Adaptive fixture, The BMW uses a unique mechanical/electrical arrangement where the headlight fixture is stationary however it reflects its beam onto a rotating mirror assembly that is controlled by a processor which measures the bikes lean angle to moves the mirror the correct angle for light around a curve. What a super headlight system!

Regards - Mike

I made a self leveling LED headlight for my Zero a while back. The entire assembly fits inside the stock Zero headlight housing. I wanted to patent it and continue developing it but I don't have the money for that.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »

I made a self leveling LED headlight for my Zero a while back. The entire assembly fits inside the stock Zero headlight housing. I wanted to patent it and continue developing it but I don't have the money for that.

Would you be open to describing its construction for DIY'ers to build it?  Zeromanual wiki could be a good place to do such a write-up.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 12:50:11 AM »

Would you be open to describing its construction for DIY'ers to build it?  Zeromanual wiki could be a good place to do such a write-up.

I want to but I also want to protect the idea first. I'm a broke college student and I spent a lot of time and money getting that headlight to where it is. It's really clever the way it works; it doesn't use a moving mirror like the BMW one does. It's essentially better in every way than the BMW one. (cheaper to make too) I fully intend on producing a handful of them and selling them to Zero owners since it would be a direct swap with the stock headlight. This would help me raise money to secure a patent and then I would be happy to share how to build one yourself.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 01:00:00 AM »

I want to but I also want to protect the idea first. I'm a broke college student and I spent a lot of time and money getting that headlight to where it is. It's really clever the way it works; it doesn't use a moving mirror like the BMW one does. It's essentially better in every way than the BMW one. (cheaper to make too)

Is there a reason you haven't considered crowdfunding it? Add in the cost of obtaining the patent (which isn't cheap), and you can get that done as well, with your first group of satisfied customers supplying the bux.

I'm hoping the design isn't based on a pendulum, though. If so, it's not going to work when you're riding like it does when you're stationary in the garage -- the g forces on a cornering motorcycle pass directly from the center of gravity of the bike through the contact patch of the tires on the ground (that's why bikes lean in the first place). So it's going to lean exactly the way the bike does when you're cornering at speed.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »

Is there a reason you haven't considered crowdfunding it? Add in the cost of obtaining the patent (which isn't cheap), and you can get that done as well, with your first group of satisfied customers supplying the bux.

I'm hoping the design isn't based on a pendulum, though. If so, it's not going to work when you're riding like it does when you're stationary in the garage -- the g forces on a cornering motorcycle pass directly from the center of gravity of the bike through the contact patch of the tires on the ground (that's why bikes lean in the first place). So it's going to lean exactly the way the bike does when you're cornering at speed.

Crowdfunding is definitely an option but I will need to make a video presentation demonstrating the benefits of this headlight. I fully intend on doing this also but keep in mind I'm one person and a video presentation like the other ones you see on kickstarter and such take a lot of time and effort to put together. But I'm working on it.

And no, it's not based on a pendulum. I tested it on my bike for a few weeks and was amazed at how much more of the road you can see during a turn. It's almost as if the headlight points itself into the corners. You can see the difference in this video... The first clip is the stock Zero headlight and the second clip is my LED self leveling one.

Keep in mind, the camera just doesn't do it justice. It's much more impressive in real life.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 05:52:51 AM »

I want to but I also want to protect the idea first. I'm a broke college student and I spent a lot of time and money getting that headlight to where it is. It's really clever the way it works; it doesn't use a moving mirror like the BMW one does. It's essentially better in every way than the BMW one. (cheaper to make too) I fully intend on producing a handful of them and selling them to Zero owners since it would be a direct swap with the stock headlight. This would help me raise money to secure a patent and then I would be happy to share how to build one yourself.

I'd certainly pay for instructions and vector files (svg for lasercutting, stl for 3-d printing or CNC, enough to make the items for myself at my local Techshop).  Not patent protection, but at least copyright.  You don't have to pay anything for copyright protection, just put the copyright (c) year by name notice on your work.  You can register with the copyright office, but you don't actually have to do that until you want to sue someone for infringement.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

zenemc

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »

Thanks very much for the nice write-up. I'm taking delivery of a 2017 DSR in a few weeks and will be using the bike primarily for commuting. I'm going to switch out the bulbs right away as I need all the visibility (to see a and be seen) I can get.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:08 AM »

I got creative with my FX. The  stock headlights, IMO, are pretty bad. I replaced the low beam 35w with a 55w and aimed it a tiny bit on the high side and it is my light for when it's actually dark. The high beam got a cheap LED and modulator and is my DRL. I ride very little at night and live in the well lit burbs. Thinking of maybe auxiliary lights next.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Wolfsbane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »

I went with LED because I wanted lower current draw (not that it's really draining the battery down much slower, but every little bit helps!) and longer life. But these are a great choice as well.

But then you added weight with your led setup vs. the stock bulb so there's your efficiency gain neutralized! Now, someone do a comprehensive analysis of the range gained over stock by the more energy efficient LED against the range lost by the additional weight. Report back to us with your findings. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5