• April 25, 2024, 05:59:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

When will Zero (re)add faster charging option to allow longer trips (~1C)?

MY 2018
- 8 (29.6%)
MY 2019
- 4 (14.8%)
MY 2020
- 11 (40.7%)
MY 2021
- 1 (3.7%)
MY 2022
- 3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: When will Zero (re)add faster charging option to allow longer trips (~1C)?  (Read 5195 times)

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland

How have you guys been managing the 1C charging?  With a splitter to use 2 separate J1772 stations?  I was under the impression J1772 could only do 6 or 7 kW.  Or are there more powerful stations you guys use, like the Tesla destination chargers?

It's difficult to find AC chargers in NZ that are over 32a, and the majority of public chargers here are DC :-\

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile

How have you guys been managing the 1C charging?  With a splitter to use 2 separate J1772 stations?  I was under the impression J1772 could only do 6 or 7 kW.  Or are there more powerful stations you guys use, like the Tesla destination chargers?

It's difficult to find AC chargers in NZ that are over 32a, and the majority of public chargers here are DC :-\
Yes, for more than 6.6kW in the US two J-plug are used.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Erasmo

• View Profile

Chargers over here are usually between 11-43kW.

Electric Terry

• View Profile

Yes most locations have at least 2 J plugs.  All new chargepoint stations have 2 level 2 ports.  Most installations have 10-20 stations so between 20 and 40 J plugs are available.  Yesterday riding back from Farasis I stopped at Pacific Commons in Fremont to have lunch and used both J plugs from 1 station.  There were 10 other stations in that same parking row, and 10 others a few rows over. 

I would like to see standard available accessories to support up to 4 J plug charging (24 kW) with up to 2C charging at the low SOC range if the battery is already warm.  The only engineers at Zero or anywhere else who aren't thinking this path are the ones who haven't tried it, that I can promise.  Because it is so simple and easy.  At least 50 times easier than trying to gain compatibility with DC Fast charging stations.

The other reason multiple AC stations make more sense than DC charging for now? (next 5-10 years perhaps) is because there are very limited DC charging stations, and all the electric cars on the road are fighting to use them.  We don't have to compete to use multiple J1772 plugs.  Everywhere I go I always stop in places with 10 or more plugs and at least 4 next to each other are always available.

Although I've been saying this for over 5 years now.  It might take Zero a while to hear but at least you can get up to 1C charging from the aftermarket now,  I carry 4 DigiNow Superchargers that you can order from Hollywood Electrics and can charge at 13.2 kW from a single ChargePoint station (using both plugs).

Here are 2 pictures from yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/ChargerTheDog/photos/a.1034679129910906.1073741829.1033979893314163/1523539721024842/

https://www.facebook.com/ChargerTheDog/photos/a.1034679129910906.1073741829.1033979893314163/1523497724362375/

You can see 2 cords going from 1 station to the bike.  And there were 20 stations like that in the shopping center.  This is the easy solution.

As time goes on, shopping centers all over will have this setup, and shopping centers are in almost every major town.  When I go to LA I stop in Woodland park to top off about 30 miles outside LA and they just installed 40 ChargePoint Level 2 J1772 Charging stations at the Westfield Valley mall.  When I go to the Bay Area from Santa Cruz at Santana Row Valley Fair Shopping Center in San Jose they now have 56 Level 2 Charging stations, where for the last 5 years they had only 2 plugs.  So the property owner went from 2 to 56.  Think about that.  This wouldn't happen if it didn't make financial sense to do.  Attracting EV owners to your shopping center where the longer they charge the more money they spend in your stores? Seriously a no brainer!  It may take some time but this will eventually happen everywhere.

The number of locations with 2 or more Level 2 J1772 plugs is about 100:1 vs DC fast charging stations (CHAdeMO and SAE Combo)  and 5 years from now perhaps still 50:1 (more DC chargers will be going in but not at the rate J1772 is going in)  Which one would you rather be able to use? ;)

I think there are about 20 or 30 of you who now (in the past month) are now charging with dual J1772 plugs with the DigiNow Superchargers.  And I have a feeling most people on this forum will probably be charging with dual plugs and the superchargers soon.  It makes it so easy to travel anywhere you want to go and not ever worry about anything.

I've been using 2 J plugs for almost 5 years, Ben Rich started doing it last year, LiveForPhysics, Brandon, Jeremiah, Brian Rice, ToGo, Shadow, Anton, Chase and others are all now double J plugging too!!  For you guys or anyone else who is double J plugging, how do you like it?  And here's the real question...would you ever go back to using just one?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:18:04 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Erasmo

• View Profile

Do you have some more shots of that tail rack?

Skidz

• View Profile

Wouldn't battery deterioration become an issue at more than 2C? Or is Farasis supporting the 2C charging?

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland

Holy cow, Terry!  That was an epic response.  Ok, I need to find more J-stations here ;D

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile

...For you guys or anyone else who is double J plugging, how do you like it?  And here's the real question...would you ever go back to using just one?  ;)
If I could reliably get a 1C-worth rate for my battery system out of every station I plugged into, using a single connection, then sure it would be nice to not have to jack about with multiple power connections.

As it is I found that in urban areas there's enough double-station access to plug in to, you just have to spend some time trial-and-error to map out where those locations are.

Without concern of plugging in one or multiple sources of power, the capability to max out the charging power from the station you are plugged into is critically important to using your time effectively. Even if you are just plugging in using the snickers (what I heard someone call the onboard charger "Gonna be awhile? Grab a ...") it doesn't charge as effectively as instead using one module of SCv2 from the same 110Vac power source. However if you have two-module SCv2 that will max out most charging stations you will encounter in the USA, and be compatible with the S/DS battery thermal limitations even in most hot weather climates.

Every FX owner should own an SCv2 one-module, and every DS/S owner an SCv2 two-module, and if you get the PowerTank option then you should think about upgrading to a more aerodynamic fairing along with an update to a four-module or five-module SCv2 configuration.

For those prices at the upper range of things you'd better really love motorcycling because the Tesla Model 3 at $35k and easy access to charging on the Tesla Supercharging network is very competitive.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

They have to increase the battery voltage first. Thats going to be some major reengineering.

I don't know that it will.  It looks like, with some signaling development, that Diginow SCv2 may be able to take high voltage DC input.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile

Yes, for more than 6.6kW in the US two J-plug are used.

Or NEMA 14-50, like Teslas do at RV parks.

togo

• View Profile

I would love to see Zero offer onboard rapid charging, but it sounds like regulatory issues are in the way right now, especially for Europe.  Aftermarket is the way to go right now, but Zero needs to solve the rapid-charging problem.

Before rapid charging, I was limited in how far I could ride, and I was correspondingly limited in how much and to whom I could recommend an electric motorcycle.  That's gone now.

The diginow 6.6kw solution is very solid, and the dual j-plug 9.9kw config works well, with some caveats.  ((We can discuss those in another thread if you want to.))

togo

• View Profile

Wouldn't battery deterioration become an issue at more than 2C? Or is Farasis supporting the 2C charging?

Word is that the cells are showing 3C wear as the same as 1C!  So, one would hope future packs would charge faster : - ).    It'll be a lot easier to justify a trade-up if I can charge in 20 minutes !  You listening, Zero?

anton

• View Profile

Quote from: Electric Terry link=topic=6661.msg56432#msg56432
I've been using 2 J plugs for almost 5 years, Ben Rich started doing it last year, LiveForPhysics, Brandon, Jeremiah, Brian Rice, ToGo, Shadow, Anton, Chase and others are all now double J plugging too!!  For you guys or anyone else who is double J plugging, how do you like it?  And here's the real question...would you ever go back to using just one?  ;)

My story is very simple.

I quite literally bought my bike in 2016 because I knew 1C was becoming a thing. I've been eyeing Zero for years and that was it, that was my biggest decision factor.

A single 3.3 kW unit completely changed how I use my SR and was probably one of best decisions I've made. "Probably" because once I experienced what "dub jay" actually means in real-life terms (after ironing out few early issues as I was the first person to get SC v2 at 1C), it makes as big of a difference as going from snickers to 3.3 unit does.

It's not even a question of would I ever go back at charging with one unit. This is the only was it can be.

Electric Terry

• View Profile

Yup, I think eventually every Zero will have a "dub jay" solution, and as the C rate charging increases for the cells I think accessory options that allow for "quad jay's" will become just as common.  Even 3 years ago I was "quad jay" charging all the way to Mexico and back for my Iron Butt run and there is an order of magnitude or more locations with quad J plugs available now then there was in 2014. 

Reason is when digging up concrete, running conduit and having an electrical contractor come out, the cost per station goes down the more stations you install at the same time.  This is why most new locations have multiple installations or entire rows of level 2 chargers.  On the way to Sonoma Raceway a couple weeks ago to see the Hollywood Electrics racing team I stopped at Target in Sausalito and there was a row of 10 stations with dual J plugs each.  If you park in the middle and have a couple extension cables you could access 132,000 watts continuous in a matter of seconds pretty easily.  Just sayin.  ;)

The other advantage to the new installations is travelling with a bunch of Zero's as a group.  This way 10 Zero's can all travel together and each charge with Dub Jay's at up to 13,200 watts each.  At other locations some should stop early and others with powertanks go further and stagger charging until they can meet up at the next large shopping center.  A little planning with a charging map is all that's needed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:23:18 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Skidz

• View Profile

Seems pretty unpractical to me as an European to keep on using those J-plugs... Where 6kW is 0.5C for most Zero's out there, for electric cars it's a puny charge. Imagine having to fill up you'r 60kW battery from those points...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5