• April 24, 2024, 08:56:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LED Headlight Replacment Zero DSR  (Read 3467 times)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
LED Headlight Replacment Zero DSR
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:56:54 AM »

I was cruising down Hwy 60 today and just before i got to Suches, I notice a patrol car on the side - I looked down and I'm a few miles under the limit, next thing i know he's behind me with and gave me a toot. When I pulled over he told me I forgot to turn headlight on so i checked it and sure enough it was not working - it appears the low beam burnt out. Anyhow after 15-20 minutes of questions about the Zero he let me go with a warning. Yahoo!

Anyhow, I'm looking for a easy solution to switch out the bulb for a LED - anyone got any recommendations it would greatly be appreciated!

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: LED Headlight Replacment Zero DSR
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »

Is it worth the bother? It won't make any difference to your range. Or are you after a different quality of light? I guess LED's last longer too? Probably a lot more expensive though.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone has a recommendation. I might do it myself. Good luck!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »

There are some topics about led replacement. Looks like a lot of them need a small modification before they fit properly. One thing you have to consider is that most LED bulbs will fuck up your beam pattern because the module is made for halogen which has another focal point. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »

Obligatory wiki reference (which is mostly up to date, pending one edit from FB): http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Headlamp
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »

I've mounted a HiLOX H4 kit without the CAN-bus module (Since it doesn't give any errors without it) and the lamp performs as expected. Also my light pattern didn't change too much so I won't blind other people with the lamp (too much ;)).

I bought it here: https://www.motoport.nl/epages/Motoport.sf?ObjectPath=/Shops/Motoport/Products/050185

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:14:46 AM »

Can you post a picture of the lightpattern? And how is the brightness compared to the stock lights?

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »

Can you post a picture of the lightpattern? And how is the brightness compared to the stock lights?

Thanks for the reply - As shown in my review of the HId's, regretfully I didn't get any stock halogen shots but I can tell you it was difficult to ride at night and my distance was less than half of what I have now. Its even a major improvement even over my Honda  NM4 with Led lights. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:56:15 AM by Low On Cash »

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »

I've mounted a HiLOX H4 kit without the CAN-bus module (Since it doesn't give any errors without it) and the lamp performs as expected. Also my light pattern didn't change too much so I won't blind other people with the lamp (too much ;)).

I bought it here: https://www.motoport.nl/epages/Motoport.sf?ObjectPath=/Shops/Motoport/Products/050185

@Skidz can you post a nightly picture of your lightpattern? Very curious about the spread and beam.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »

I put one of these on my DSR the day I bought it. Install was pretty straightforward but, IIRC, I may have had to remove a couple small tabs from the white plastic retaining ring to get it to all fit together. I can't compare it what came stock on the Zero because I never rode the bike with that bulb in, but do I know that when I put two of these on my old Tiger it made a huge difference vs stock. I ride into work at 4am so a good headlamp is important to me. 

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:36:42 PM by tamjam »
2016 DSR

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »

I'm on a skiing trip right now but when I get back I'll try to find a pitch dark road (Which is kinda difficult where I live) and make some pictures.
Pages: [1]