• March 28, 2024, 07:08:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 500 miles?  (Read 1008 times)

PL3

• View Profile

nevetsyad

• View Profile
Re: 500 miles?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:32:09 AM »

Probably posted in the wrong forum, but I'll believe it when they start shipping them. I hear they won't even take anyone's money right now.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »

The article omits every other possible number for context, although they keenly say "working on" which doesn't provide much.

Right now (and their website) Lightning purports "380V 20 kwh battery pack (Range of 160-180 miles per charge)".

So a more telling headline would be:
"Lightning Motorcycles working on electric bike with a 62.5 kWh battery"

While that would put a all but the most bowlegged motorcyclist's beverage out their nose, as a 1,000 pound battery shouldn't really be put in a motorcycle.

The details of the article could mention anything that would stop the nasal flow of beverages... but it doesn't. 

http://www.bicindiana.com/  is just a small batch test facility largely suited for 18650 sized batteries.

This is the kind of place where outlandish chemistry and density claims go to die, but they have established channels to industry in case one works out.

Lightning is more likely just joined a possible channel with a caveat I imagine is like - "Once you get to 62.5 kWh in a 250 pound battery... call us"

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:50 PM »

Nice guy, and he can build a good bike.
Hopefully I am wrong, but, as far, As far
as I know they have only sold ONE 218 so far

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:41 AM »

Nice guy, and he can build a good bike.
Hopefully I am wrong, but, as far, As far
as I know they have only sold ONE 218 so far

I also heard that they sold one of their less expensive, less powerful and shorter range street models.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:18 AM »

Yikes _ have to stand corrected?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/indiana/2017/01/30/500-miles-on-1-charge-motorcycle-ride-from-san-fran-to-l-a-would-set-record/#58a2756d5d3e

Lightning seems to know what they are getting into...

Richard Hatfield is no stranger to setting records in alternatively powered vehicles. He began his career on a team that built an electric Porsche race car back in 1995.

After that experience, Hatfield said he was convinced that electric powered vehicles were far superior to gasoline powered, and by 2006 he and his company, Lightning Motorcycles, had built and tested an electric sport bike. Three years later, Lightning was breaking the land-speed record for an electric powered bike, and in 2013, they won the grueling and dangerous Pikes Peak race.

Today, as the head of Lightning Motorcycles in Silicon Valley, Hatfield has his sights set on a new record: creating an all-electric motorcycle that can do the 500-mile run between San Francisco and Los Angeles on a single charge. But Hatfield is not going it alone. He's enlisted the help of the Battery Innovation Center in Indiana, and said that without the bleeding-edge technology that comes out of the facility, the ride would be impossible.

Going The Distance

The feat is a tall order considering that the longest electric vehicle range among commercially available motorcycles and cars is just an EPA rated 315 miles, a record that currently belongs to Tesla. Hatfield, however, thinks it's doable even though no gasoline bike can currently do more than 320 miles on a single tank.

"We see ourselves as following in the footsteps of Tesla, and accomplishing the San Francisco-to-Los Angeles run would show that range anxiety is becoming a thing of the past," he said.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:26 AM »

So its a custom designed bike for record breaking with a super large battery pack and probably driven super slow.
Good Luck to them,
Think this would be a good challenge for Electric Terry, be great if Zero and Terry and Farsi designed a record breaking bike too.
Terry with his low drag Vetter fairing and Zero bike tech and high density Farsi Cells.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »

It would be quite a feat considering there are only a handful of people who have gone 500 miles in a single day. Obviously Terry did it on his Iron Butt ride, I have gone 525 miles in one day, and I believe Brandon went to 500 miles in a day, too. There are also a couple of guys who rode Energica Egos 620 miles (1,000 km) in one day in Europe. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »

It would be quite a feat considering there are only a handful of people who have gone 500 miles in a single day. Obviously Terry did it on his Iron Butt ride, I have gone 525 miles in one day, and I believe Brandon went to 500 miles in a day, too. There are also a couple of guys who rode Energica Egos 620 miles (1,000 km) in one day in Europe. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct that was in the Netherlands, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDqLQxh5ng
Pages: [1]