• April 27, 2024, 03:39:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height Ikon Shock, Dual Use Tires, Drop Bars, Hand Guards,  (Read 6203 times)

Sparkymoto

• View Profile

OK, that didn't fly!

I will need to use the kick stand (Zero p/n 20-05661 03) is 10.8" / 275mm (pivot ctr - foot tip).

Easy job if you have the tools.

Brass bushings from the old kick stand to the new are a push fit.  Kick stand heavy spring (there are two springs, a heavy and a light spring) must be attached to the kick stand and then with the stand retracted use the proper tool to slip the heavy spring on it's perch.

As shown below, a standard drum break tool works just fine. Be sure and purchase the one with the dog leg and the slot to hook over the spring perch.

Time to reorder!

Pictures tomorrow, other work to do now, but pictures tell the tale of too short.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:08:39 AM by Sparkymoto »
2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

Kenmc_3

• View Profile

Old trick. With the spring extended, put washers or nickels between the coils. Then when the stand is retracted, it just comes right off as the coils are kept expanded by the washers or nickels.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Old trick. With the spring extended, put washers or nickels between the coils. Then when the stand is retracted, it just comes right off as the coils are kept expanded by the washers or nickels.

I've updated the kickstand replacement procedure with the drum brake spring pliers tool recommendation. The trick you've mentioned is already there, roughly.

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Kickstand
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Sparkymoto

• View Profile

As seems to be usual, FedEx has again missed a shipment delivery date.  Yes I know the problem is with the map directions but all the poor driver has to do is read the address on the mailbox.  He passed twice but so believed his voice from the web that he never looked!

I will be out of pocket for a while so I will return to this post when I receive the "Late" delivery, say about 10 days.

With the spare kickstands I will now be able to use the OEM tires should I see the need.  Nothing lost just time.
2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

Sparkymoto

• View Profile

The S/SR    is shorter than the DS/DSR, the 20-05660 03 is 8.75 inches from the center line of the pin to the heel of the foot.  The foot is rotated 90 degrees CCW.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile

Parts in and 'll post pictures later.

atldinan3

• View Profile

Update on my status: I've completed the purchase of a 2017 DS from my local dealer. Simultaneously, I purchased the lowered spring from Hollywood Electric. Apparently, they have a suspension expert that takes an OEM DS shock/spring and reworks it such that its 1.5" lower.  Thats underway now. Then it will be shipped to my dealer, who will install it for me (negotiated as part of my purchase). I live beyond range of the bike, so they will then meet me halfway for delivery. I'm hopeful it will be by the end of next week, but no details yet. In the meantime, I've written the check, had it cashed, and am now sitting quasi-patiently on my hands....

My question pertinent to this thread is, will the OEM DS kickstand still work appropriately on the bike after the lowered shock has been installed?  Should I have the dealer do something to adjust it? Do I need to buy an S/SR OEM kickstand? Something else?

Thx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]