• February 28, 2017, 04:05:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height, Dual Use Tires  (Read 315 times)

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
Zero 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height, Dual Use Tires
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

I have a 2016 FXS  which I have been adjusting to my riding needs.  In my case this means dual use with combined riding in grass/wood lands and asphalt. 

Tires have been changed to Conti Escapes.
Forks lowered by 2 inches in the triple clamps.
Rear shock is one of two brands.  The first is a Ikon "special" made for me and a spring for my weight. 
The second shock is the original Showa  heavily modified with a new threaded spring sleeve machined and installed after a lowering kit.

The seat is thinned down to reduce the height by 1 inch.

As to the original suspension design of the FXS, it is ill designed.   Understand that I have raced GP, MX, Cow Trails, Woods and some of that riding was on an OSSA Pioneer,  Cushman, Kawasakis and others.

I do not understand why ZERO did not hire a suspension designer that comprehended the term SUSPENSION.  As stock the 8 plus inches of rear travel on a 290 lb Bike that comes with a spring so stiff that a rider of 160 pounds cannot adjust sag is a waste of air.

The ride height/seat height is currently at 30 inches, the rear sag is at 1/2 of an inch and a easy bounce of my rear will move it down a bit more.

After 9 months I am now pleasantly surprised each time I ride this FXS and I would be happy to talk to ZERO on what  real bikes should do.

The FXS is a Great Bike and needs some simple intelligent changes to provide a more enjoyable ride.

Pictures, Specs, Parts Providers and other information if any want to take a look at these changes.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:35:00 AM by Sparkymoto »

BrianTRice

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero 2016 FXS Lowered Ride Height, Dual Use Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »

There's a page of the unofficial Zero wiki where I've been vaguely collecting bike fit adjustment options:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Ergonomics

Elaborating on any of these things you did for others would be welcome (either here or on the wiki), but the feedback already makes sense and in any case I'll get around to incorporating it.
2016 Zero DSR, 2013 Zero DS, 2012 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom Adv

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »

Thanks,  I have a slew of pictures so I will thin them out and post later.

NobleHops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »

Greetings,

My name is Nils Menten and I am the head cheese at Ikon Shocks USA. We did work with sparkymoto to design and build a shock for his Zero, for which he provided very valuable information that made that possible. Many thanks to you Sparky, and we're glad it's working well for you.

We can provide that shock in either standard height, or lowered 2 inches as we did for sparkymoto, and custom springs are as always provided at no additional charge if needed. Lead time of roughly 2 weeks should be anticipated. That is our top of the line aluminum-bodied gas charged shock, with screw-thread preload adjusters, and 4-position damping adjustment.

Two models are now listed for purchase on our website: The standard length shock:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/3610-zero-shock-absorber

...and the lowering version:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/3610-zero-low-shock-absorber

Please note that this product is so new we have not had a chance to research applicability on other models of Zero motorcycles, but it is quite likely that it will fit a wider range of models and years than we have indicated at the moment. Your expertise in this respect would be most welcome.

Please feel free to contact us if you need more information o this or any of our products and their potential suitability for use on your electric motorcycle. We would be most happy to help develop new or custom applications as we did for sparkymoto as needed. Please be in touch via email if we can be of assistance.

Respectfully,

Nils Menten
Ikon Shocks USA
nils@ikonshocksusa.com
www.ikonshocksusa.com

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:11 AM »

Great to see aftermarket vendors getting involved!

NobleHops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:33 AM »

Great to see aftermarket vendors getting involved!

Thanks for the good words. We get truly EXCELLENT factory support on this kind of project, they are always happy to explore new applications for our customers, and so are we.

Best,

Nils Menten

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:18:49 AM »

Lowered and with a Fairing.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:27:17 AM »

Here is one of the shocks I am testing. It is the IKON and has a lot of adjustment.

The reworked OEM is a good choice but is limited by no adjustment and a too heavy spring, but cost is something to consider so it just depends on what your needs are.

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:57:29 AM »

Here is a box stock FXS,  note the seat contour and the tail piece height.

Pages: [1]