• April 26, 2024, 02:09:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is 16 AWG for charging ok in the long run?  (Read 2384 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Is 16 AWG for charging ok in the long run?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 12:22:05 AM »

Perfect, since my Zero draws up to 15A, not continuous. And going just by gauge can get you in trouble if you don't consider length.

Doug S said it already... but I'll restate it in my words..

from any practical standpoint, length is never an issue.  sure if you have 1ft of wire and 3 feet of wire, the 3ft has 3 times the resistance.. but its also distributed over 3 times the length.. The heat generated for any given section of cord stays the same.
Now the voltage drop, sure that happens... however again for any off the shelf extension cord, of the appropriate gauge, the drop will never be enough to cause issues with the charger functioning.
So it comes down to just the gauge size. if you want to run it through a 100ft long 12ga extension cord, you can... just dont leave it coiled up, or let the fire marshal see it (because as mentioned elsewhere above, extension cords are "temporary use only".

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »

What Zero provides is not an extension cord. It's a power cable that is probably regulated by the NEC. An extension cord attaches to what they provide, and adds to the voltage drop and adds to the resistance possibilities and wear at the connection.

Brian,
that makes total sense, since computers also come with a detachable (in this case even C13) plug as well and it's legal.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:06 AM »

MrDude1 and Doug S,

Yep, got it.... does make sense as well.
When touching the cord after charging, one can tell it better be laid out to be able to dissipate the heat.
I also noticed the warmer ends where the resistance seems to be higher on the connecting parts.

Rider7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:54 PM »

MrDude1 and Doug S,

Yep, got it.... does make sense as well.
When touching the cord after charging, one can tell it better be laid out to be able to dissipate the heat.
I also noticed the warmer ends where the resistance seems to be higher on the connecting parts.

Rider7

I have mentioned this before, but last year I had my charging cable connected to my daughter's old 16-gauge extension cord when visiting her, which apparently had a corroded female connector (I know that my end was clean).  When returning to my bike, getting ready to leave her home, I couldn't disconnect the two cords. They had completely melted together and I had to cut the cords apart in order to remove them.  At least my bike was fully charged, so I guess the heat didn't affect the electrons all that much.   ;)  Since it was my Zero's fault that her extension cord was toast, I bought her a new heavy-duty cord and that is working just fine when I visit and recharge.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »

Richard,
melting your daughters cord... hahahah sorry, this is a bit amusing ;D

I just ordered a 25 ft 14 gauge cable to be able to better reach some charging stations when some optically challenged people park in EV spots with an ICE.
It should be fine.
I also ordered the J1772 adapter so I can charge like the big boys.
I know, still slow, but at least I can use all level 2s now.

Thanks for your input :)

Rider7

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »

Just to follow up a bit.

I found and bought this 25 ft cord.

It said 15 Amp 125 Volts on the Amazon webpage,  but it turns out to be literally the same as the zero charge cord just longer.

14 AWG 300 Volts with pretty much all the same printed numbers on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVG3M2W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$20 bucks free shipping.

It helps charging the bike a bit more in the middle of the garage.

R7

Pages: 1 2 [3]