• March 29, 2024, 03:43:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is 16 AWG for charging ok in the long run?  (Read 2375 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Is 16 AWG for charging ok in the long run?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »

Ahaaa..... as always thanks for the inputs  :D

Erasmo, that warm cable was the 14 gauge zero supplied cable. I was surprised myself since it wasn't even charging from very low SOC.
Usually only the ends get warmish...  maybe the little electrons had a party in there this time :)

Everybody else, yes, I agree, 16 gauge coiled up will make my coil melt in the long run.

And also MrDude1, you're right, while my Cat is charging, there is no escaping through that garage door anymore  :D

I'll look into simply running an extra conduit with gauge 10 or 12 wires like I run for most machines in the shop and be done with it on 240 V.
Although, I got to look into this once more. I know dryers and stoves run tab to tab 240 like it comes from the pole, but that is technically two phase power.
I am only used to dealing with three phase and single phase (120V to neutral)

So the zero is usually taking one hot leg from the 240 incoming and returning on neutral like every other load in the house.
When you're using tab to tab, you then use the full potential that comes from the pole, but that now is 60 Hz 120 VAC on each leg.
Wouldn't that make it two phase 240.

Got to read a book about that real quick again.
Don't want to fry my Cat  :o

the 240 house hookup is still single phase.
your house (assuming in the USA) gets two wires 180* out of phase giving you 240vac 60hz power... the center tap of that is neutral... so using neutral and one line gives you the normal 120v outlet. doing neutral and the other line also gives 120v, just  out of phase with the other.... and using both lines gives you one phase of 240vac.

if that makes sense.  I can explain it easier drawing it out.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »

MrDude1,
The way you explain it, it makes sense.
The confusion comes in once you work mostly with three phase, since those three phases are 120 degrees apart and looking at one phase, well it is 110-115V to neutral or mostly ground in my case (in a 230) and 230 phase to phase. (Plus or minus the 10%)
So if I look at a single wire, it is one phase, three wires then, I have the three phases rotating 120 degrees apart.

So, single phase where I have the two big bus bars in my panel with 110- 120V each coming in is that simply one phase 180 off-set to each other as you say?
And the potential between them them is 230.
Not sure where the 180 degrees offset comes from when the utility only sends one phase, which would come from ... oh hang on, so you are saying that the generator has two coils 180 degrees offset and every time the armature zips by, it picks up the induced current and sends it out and the other coil 180 degrees later gives you the other current, but it is still one phase?
The same happens for three phase power, three coils or magnets are inducing current 120 degrees apart and you'll end up with three phases.
So in my mind right now, the 120V 180 degrees apart would be two phase then.

Don't spend more time with me on this until I have actually looked it up and looked at some delta and wye configurations again and whatever is up there for single phase.

Ah... that is why we have only one transformer on poles in front of residential houses.
One line of electricity, one phase.
All I have to understand now is where the 180 offset happens.

So weird that I am actually good and comfortable with wiring for single phase (normal sockets in our shop) and the three phase for our machines, 240 and 480 Volts but when it comes to using the potential between the two incoming tabs on single phase, my brain goes  ::)

We even have a high leg in our shop, which I understand every time I look at the delta wye transformer on a drawing.

Thanks for trying to teach me.

Let me look it up and I'll probably come back and hit my head so y'all can hear it from afar.

I feel so brave right now admitting that I am stupid when it comes to single phase 240V.

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »

MrDude is correct about how residential 220V works (at least here in the States, which is all I know about for sure), but the industry-accepted terminology is pretty misleading (or stupid, depending on your point of view).

"110V", here in the States, consists of a hot and a return (also called "neutral"), so it's truly single phase. There's also a ground wire, which is at the same VOLTAGE as the return wire, but (unlike the return wire) carries no current in normal operation. It's for safety only, typically connected to the metal chassis of an electric appliance, and if there IS any current on it, there's a fault (current is escaping somewhere, causing sparks and/or electrical burns) and the circuit should be shut off. That's precisely what a GFCI does, which is why it makes things safer.

So ignoring the ground wire for the rest of this discussion, "three phase" power is used in industrial applications, and it's exactly what you'd expect, what MrDude and rider7 have described. There are three hot wires, each carrying AC voltage (here in the states, either 208 or 480 VAC) 120 degrees out of phase, with or without a neutral wire, which is at 0 VAC but is designed to carry load current...the neutral wire is pretty rare in three-phase applications, except that it does allow standard operation of 110 VAC devices across one of the phases of 208 and neutral.

Here's where the terminology gets a little whacko...220V residential power isn't three-phase because there are only two hot wires, and they're 180 out of phase, not 120, but it's also not really single phase because there are two hots, and sometimes the neutral. Logically to me, then, it should be called "two-phase". But the industry doesn't use that term...it was taken 100 years ago to refer to three-phase power with one of the wires missing (so two hots 120 out of phase, and maybe a neutral), although you'll NEVER see it these days. Instead the term "split phase" is sometimes used for 220 VAC, which doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the standard terminology.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »

What I never understood was why a 110V residential service actually shows 120V on a meter (or in my case 125 volts).  When did 110 become 120 and why is 120 still referred to as 110?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »

mmmmm, are you sure about it?
Take a look to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power.
Basically it says that the 3 hot phases are 220V 120 degree, if you take any two hot you get 380V. If you take one hot and you use a transformer center tap on ground you get two split-phase of 110V on opposite phase from one 220V hot .... that is why the name.
In Europe we use directly the one 220V hot phase and neutral. In USA you get one of the split phases or both, so you get the 110V and or the 220V.

At least this is what I got from that ... :)

Giacomo

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »

What I never understood was why a 110V residential service actually shows 120V on a meter (or in my case 125 volts).  When did 110 become 120 and why is 120 still referred to as 110?   ???

My understanding is that it's actually "supposed to be" 117 VAC nominal. We refer to it as 110 VAC, or sometimes 115 VAC, just as a shorthand. In reality, there isn't a spec or even a tolerance for the actual voltage that's delivered to your house. It's often somewhat higher than nominal in newer housing developments, and somewhat lower in older areas, because they build in excess capacity to allow for growth, which causes the voltage to sag as load increases.

@giacomo: I wasn't trying to get into how power is delivered by the utility, just how it looks to you as it's delivered. Yes, "split phase" is derived from a single-phase transformer, with the output center-tapped (and the center-tap grounded), which is why it's called "split phase". But to the user, it just looks like two phases 180 degrees out.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:45:16 PM by Doug S »

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »

I've seen devices rated for 110, 115, and 120. I think there's just that much "slop" in the system.

2015 FX ZF6.5 👹 DoD #2160,6

Clay
DoD #2160,6

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »

Ahh.. this is better than taking a college course... since there is no homework due now :)

Thanks for all of you pitch in.

DougS,
So the two hots are technically two phase power. I did read that there used to be two phase at some point too a long time ago and not for long, but I think you are right, it is a matter how you want to agree on terminology.

I completely understand how the three phase works. I do sometimes utilize a neutral for load carrying to get a 120V for regular outlets for example on our manual mills for the digital readout and work lights etc.
I understand that ground and neutral are the same after all, but ground is not supposed to be used to return current after it dropped to whatever after the load, and is just a security by providing a major pathway for electrons to immediately trigger the circuit breaker if anything shortens to the frame, or enclosed or anything a human could get in touch with accidentally.

I get how a residential uses one hot and the neutral to run any 110-120 etc... load.
By the way, the accepted specs are plus or minus 10% for the input in industrial machines.
So, I have 245V phase to phase on my three phase, although it is 230 nominal.
I am sure the same goes for residential loads.

Now, when I am using both hot wires that come into my house to use the potential of 240 between them, oh well, yes, I get 240, but does that jive properly in my zero's charger?

I never asked anybody here when they say they are using 240.
I know that back in Germany, everytime I stuck a screw driver into the socket, I would only have my hair stand up and begin to look like burned toast when I touched the hot, and that is 240. And nothing would happen when I did the same thing to the other hole in the wall :)
So, we would have one hot, one neutral I guess you could call that then too and it would complete our single phase 240V circuit.

I must admit that I have not actually read up  on it myself since we started this discussion, but couldn't resist replying to your inputs.....

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, I think it clears up some misunderstanding for some of the other class members here too.... hahaha...

Rider7

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:18 AM »

Yes, "split phase" is derived from a single-phase transformer, with the output center-tapped (and the center-tap grounded), which is why it's called "split phase". But to the user, it just looks like two phases 180 degrees out.

yup. I actually like the term split phase... it feels more accurate than saying 180 out of phase.. because it really is one big wave, and you're just splitting it and using half. two 180 out seems misleading, even though the statement is accurate.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »

Easy answer to op, get a cord rated at 15A.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

Actually it's not that easy. Cords are often overrated because the expected load is intermittent, not continuous for hours.

That's why we talk about wire size, instead of what the cord or box says.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »

Well, since we are talking about charging cords, their capacities and ratings etc, this fits right in here.

The fire marshal came through my place of work today and pointed out some extension cords that we have installed to get juice to things like computers etc.

He pointed out that extension cords are strictly for temporary use only, meaning you have to be present when it's in use and disconnect it after it was used for its intended purpose.
It made sense.
He did point out that what he called "surge protectors" are legal. But he simply meant the power strips with a simple overload switch in there that can be reset, and not even the way more pricy real surge protectors.

Well, I told him about my new purchase of the zero and that it came with an "extension cord" style charging cord, that I am definitely using without being in the room for hours to watch.

He asked if it came with the bike and that I'd be able to shift the case towards Zero if it would happen, since they would send the cord in for forensic analysis after an incident.

Any take on this here?

If my house burns down because of me charging my zero, is my insurance going to balk?

I did see the Japanese case I think it was, where a zero caught on fire because of the cord/socket connection being not good enough.

And sorry if there is already a thread about this, I thought it fits into our discussion about the wire gauge here and especially what you just mentioned about continuous use MrDude_1.

Rider7

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:26:13 AM by rider7 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »

Well, I told him about my new purchase of the zero and that it came with an "extension cord" style charging cord, that I am definitely using without being in the room for hours to watch.

What Zero provides is not an extension cord. It's a power cable that is probably regulated by the NEC. An extension cord attaches to what they provide, and adds to the voltage drop and adds to the resistance possibilities and wear at the connection.

(Found ref via UL: http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=FFSO.GuideInfo)

He asked if it came with the bike and that I'd be able to shift the case towards Zero if it would happen, since they would send the cord in for forensic analysis after an incident.

Any take on this here?

If my house burns down because of me charging my zero, is my insurance going to balk?

If you use a cable not to the spec that Zero insists on in the owner's manual (see: Power Pack and Charging for the extension cable spec: "grounded, 3-wire 12-AWG cord no longer than 25ft" also saying not to share the Zero charging with any other device on a single 15/20A circuit), I'm sure you'd be assigned fault if investigators found it to be relevant.

If you use an extension cable in addition to any other cable that plugs into a Zero, you'd better make sure it fits the specification.

My first reply was really too vague. The answer to your original question just "No.". Using a 16AWG cable is risky and an accident with one will be your fault. Don't treat electricity casually.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »

Actually it's not that easy. Cords are often overrated because the expected load is intermittent, not continuous for hours.

That's why we talk about wire size, instead of what the cord or box says.
Perfect, since my Zero draws up to 15A, not continuous. And going just by gauge can get you in trouble if you don't consider length.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:28 PM »

And going just by gauge can get you in trouble if you don't consider length.

I hate to be the "Well, actually..." guy, but length doesn't really factor into this consideration. Extra length will cause higher resistance, which will cause more voltage drop, as well as generating more heat, but it will be over a longer length of cord. Voltage drop isn't much even in a long cable, it's just heat that's the problem, plain and simple.

My experience with power cables is that heat along the length is rarely an issue (assuming the cord isn't coiled up when it's being used -- don't EVER do that!). When I've had heat problems in the past, it's always at one end of the cable or the other. Either the contact resistance between the prongs and the socket they're inserted into goes up because of corrosion or lack of tension in the contacts, the cable itself fails where it isn't very well strain-relieved going into the hard plastic of the end connector (much more of a problem with cheap cables), or sometimes the crimp connections between the wires and the contacts develops high resistance inside the connector itself.

My charge cable failed one day, and I ordered a 14 AWG 25-foot long one from monoprice. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I used the cable off of my printer, which is only 16 AWG. I kept a very close eye on it the first day, checking every few minutes for excessive temperatures, but it was fine, and it worked fine for the few days I needed it. I would NOT want to use it long-term, however. A cable rated for 15A will not only have larger gauge wires, it will have better terminal crimps designed to carry the higher current more safely for a longer period of time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3