• April 25, 2024, 06:47:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lyndall Brakes  (Read 1593 times)

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
Lyndall Brakes
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:49:36 AM »

Anyone tried these guy's Carbon/Ceramic brakes?  Even the newest brakes on my SR really kinda stink.  Perhaps I've just been spoiled by Liter class bikes that, even at 400 lbs, can really stop.

http://www.lyndallbrakes.com
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Lyndall Brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:01:41 AM »

Someone has to step up and figure out a fitment for that.

The 2015+ front wheel support is a 5-point standoff with the bolt centers about 118mm (+/-2mm) from the center of the wheel. I know this for DSR wheel covers, so you'll need a much better measurement to ask about a fit. And the SR may be different anyway; I figured the disc is the same to reduce Zero's parts complexities but I haven't checked.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:53:04 AM »

I've never head of Lyndall, but their stuff seems pretty good.  Like many aftermarket sites they have limited-selection drop-down menus and don't really provide many specs, so it might be a challenge finding something that without-a-doubt fits the SR.

For your front brake... having had good results with it on my bike, I'd highly recommend replacing just the master cylinder. 

Some numbers for the '15-'17 SR OEM front brake hydraulics:

Caliper piston area: @ 1509 mm2 (total)
MC piston area: @ 126 mm2
Hydraulic-advantage ratio: 11.9:1

A 9.5mm-piston MC  - like the Nissin 3/8 I put on my 'MX' bike - would give the SR a 21.1:1 ratio, or @ 78% more pad pressure than the OEM 12.7mm MC.  Any Brembo, Nissin, etc. 9.5mm / .375" MC w/switch should drop right in and make a huge difference, and you won't have to touch anything else.

On the rear, the 11mm MC from the FX (Zero p/n 25-06731) has 49mm M6 bolt spacing / rear reservoir hose / top output / clevis, and should give @ 19% more pad pressure than the SR 12mm MC. This won't be a night-and-day difference like the front MC change, but it should still be very noticeable.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »

I've used Lyndall Gold pads on my Buell XB12Ss Lightning Long when I still had that bike.  They require a "breaking in" process which was explained on the packaging, and once this was performed they worked VERY well.  Good feel through the lever and almost no fade after repeated usage.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »

I made this based on rayivers' stats and recommendations: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Brake_Hydraulics
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

alpax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:04:13 AM »

A 9.5mm-piston MC  - like the Nissin 3/8 I put on my 'MX' bike - would give the SR a 21.1:1 ratio, or @ 78% more pad pressure than the OEM 12.7mm MC.  Any Brembo, Nissin, etc. 9.5mm / .375" MC w/switch should drop right in and make a huge difference, and you won't have to touch anything else.
I'm thinking about replacing the MC on my '17 SR (a friend dropped it, and now I have to fix a bunch of things :(). Came to this topic from the "manual".
Can someone provide a bit more info on this: what part exactly should I look for if I want to replace the JJuan Front MC with Nissin or Brembo? Would that actually be the only part needed? Will the stock mounting hardware simply work with a different MC, and will the stock reservoir fit? I'm afraid everything around the MC will need to be changed.
2017 Zero SR, 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »

You might want to consider replacing your front MC with this one.  Piston size is a little smaller than stock (11mm vs 12.7mm) so slightly better stopping power.  I really like it and the price is right.

https://japan.webike.net/products/450472.html

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »

You might want to consider replacing your front MC with this one.  Piston size is a little smaller than stock (11mm vs 12.7mm) so slightly better stopping power.  I really like it and the price is right.

Brembo makes a nice 12.5mm radial mount that I put on everything with a single caliper on the front...

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:10:33 AM »

Can you please provide a link for the Brembo MC.  I'm not finding it anywhere.
Currently Owned Bikes:

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »

Brembo, Nissin, etc. 9.5mm / .375" MC w/switch should drop right in

After looking around online for a while now, I don't think the above actually exists (if it does, I can't find it).  It seems that 9.5mm / .375" MC pistons are used only in MX & trials bike brakes (no switches), and hydraulic clutch levers.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »

Can you please provide a link for the Brembo MC.  I'm not finding it anywhere.
That would be because I am dumb and remembered the wrong numbers.. its a Brembo radial 16x18.

alpax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »

This is interesting. Thank you very much!
I like the price - the whole assembly with the MC, lever and reservoir costs less than just the stock MC for the Zero! Wish I thought about this earlier - I already bought the lever and the reservoir. :(
Looks like it should just fit. Hope the handlebar, mirror, and banjo bolt are the right diameter.

Have you installed this on your FXS? Apparently at least the mirrors and the banjo bolt are the same on the SR.

The only thing, which will need a custom connection is the switch, but that should be easy. Did you use any special connector for that switch?

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »

Fitment of the Nissin MC on my FXS was perfect.  I didn't need to make any modifications.  The brake light switch connection was simple plug and play from what I remember.

PS - and Nissin manufactures high quality brake parts from Japan; not junk from China.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:52:30 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

alpax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

Fitment of the Nissin MC on my FXS was perfect.  I didn't need to make any modifications.
Good to know. Thanks!

Quote from: BamBam
The brake light switch connection was simple plug and play from what I remember.
The wires seem to be soldered to the switch on the SR, while that Nissin switch is Flat Terminal 2-pole type - looks like standard female spade connectors would fit there.

Quote from: BamBam
PS - and Nissin manufactures high quality brake parts from Japan; not junk from China.
Absolutely! No question about this, even if that junk is from Spain. :)

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 04:32:18 AM »

I just checked the switch connection on my DSR and the wires have the female spade connectors. Not sure why you're connection would be soldered, but it's easy to add the spade connectors.
Currently Owned Bikes:
Pages: [1] 2