• March 29, 2024, 01:45:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DC-DC charger  (Read 2992 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: DC-DC charger
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »

I'm all for people tinkering. I just know my expositions cost me a lot of money in learning expenses. Hope this helps you avoid some of the things I learned first hand.

Thanks for commenting on pitfalls like this publicly; I'll do my best to catalog this to keep our collective mistake budgets down...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »

Like this: I've separated the charging fuse section from the charging port section:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Charging_Fuse
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »

Don't forget the inrush to your DC side caps. Depending how many you string together if you connect with the contactor closed, you will blow your charge fuse. Learned that one the hard way with the original betas I built from meanwells.

Speaking of, I have a bunch of them laying around with no good use anymore.

I have to deal with this with my ebike chargers. I have a little circuit that on connect will feed the dc caps or battery through a resistor until the voltages match or x time has passed before closing the relay to connect the charger and battery.. works differently than a zero does, but same concept.
come to think of it, I suppose I could make one that worked for a meanwell on a zero... but its not required as long as you enable the onboard before connecting the meanwell.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »

Don't forget the inrush to your DC side caps. Depending how many you string together if you connect with the contactor closed, you will blow your charge fuse. Learned that one the hard way with the original betas I built from meanwells.

Speaking of, I have a bunch of them laying around with no good use anymore.

I have to deal with this with my ebike chargers. I have a little circuit that on connect will feed the dc caps or battery through a resistor until the voltages match or x time has passed before closing the relay to connect the charger and battery.. works differently than a zero does, but same concept.
come to think of it, I suppose I could make one that worked for a meanwell on a zero... but its not required as long as you enable the onboard before connecting the meanwell.
Actually if you enable the onboard before connecting the meanwells, depending on how many you have you will definitely blow the charge fuse. That's the exact scenario. The other is if the bike is on and you connect the meanwells.

Glad you said that or your exploration of doing your own could have been more trouble than you bargained for.

@briantrice nice!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 12:41:43 AM »

Also of note @ Brian, the 13 with the 15  battery upgrade has a 100A fuse took one apart and checked.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 01:56:35 AM »

Actually if you enable the onboard before connecting the meanwells, depending on how many you have you will definitely blow the charge fuse. That's the exact scenario. The other is if the bike is on and you connect the meanwells.

Glad you said that or your exploration of doing your own could have been more trouble than you bargained for.

now you have me curious.. if you have the onboard charger going... and you then add in the meanwells (with them already powered on, so their caps are at 116v... will the extremely short duration of higher power while the caps discharge down to the current charge voltage actually pop the fuse? that seems kind of extreme considering the tiny amount of power they have... how do the approved chargers deal with that?
or are you talking about it popping with the meanwell off, and its charging the meanwell caps?

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »

now you have me curious.. if you have the onboard charger going... and you then add in the meanwells (with them already powered on, so their caps are at 116v... will the extremely short duration of higher power while the caps discharge down to the current charge voltage actually pop the fuse? that seems kind of extreme considering the tiny amount of power they have... how do the approved chargers deal with that?
or are you talking about it popping with the meanwell off, and its charging the meanwell caps?
Charging the caps is what blows it.

Pages: 1 2 [3]