• April 25, 2024, 11:27:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Can Zero Compete with the pricing of TORK Motorcycles.  (Read 4601 times)

Testpilot1

• Testpilot1 / Charlie Boorman '' Long Way Down ''
    • View Profile
Can Zero Compete with the pricing of TORK Motorcycles.
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »

Was lucky enough to own one of the heavily discounted DSP's last year from Streetbike.
Regrettably I got rid, and now I'm considering jumping back in, I refuse to pay the full list price Zero are asking. In my opinion they're just not worth it. The £6000 I payed was reasonable but 12-14 grand is just a rip off.
When you look at what TORK Motorcycles are knocking them out at,surely they have to re-consider their pricing point ?
What are your thoughts.......

http://torkmotorcycles.com/

Testpilot1

• View Profile
Re: Can Zero Compete with the pricing of TORK Motorcycles.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »

Has a piddly little 27Nm motor (equiv to a 12kw 125cc), I bet it won't do 60 miles at 60mph, I'd say it'll probably do half that. It's certainly going to struggle to get to 60 anyway by the sounds of it. (for comparison the Zeros motors are 92-157Nm)

At £1,800, my guess is it's a lot like the 30mph city scooters that use either a SLA or small LiIon battery.
(reading between the lines, looks like it has a 4kWh battery)

It's also cheap even for an Indian bike, my bet is that promo price will increase more than a little bit by the time it reaches the UK.

Upshot, its another short range 125cc equivalent electric scooter. A lot like one of these in terms of spec.
http://www.greenelectricbikes.co.uk/Electricycle-Electro.htm

It's not a competitor to Zero.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:36:01 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »

Watch this space. Maybe it will depend on what riders want to turn to electric for, not everyone's after max performance , some want a cheap commute with the same benefits as a SR,DS,FX etc, but  at a fair price.
No electric motorcycle is going to be Slow, I spent most of my time on my DSP at 60 mph, and wasn't really concerned wether it could do it a couple of seconds quicker than the competition, it was just exhilarating. We'll see what the electric community decide is the way to go , either way , top and bottom of it is ZERO's bikes are overpriced........

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

6KWH for the introductory price of £1500 , versus just over twice the kWh for 10 times the price.................for a commuter surely it's a no-brainier ?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »

Where did you get 6kWh? I worked it off their claimed full recharge rate which is 4kWh.

Equivalent electric bikes from China in the UK go for around £3000-£5000 I'd be reasonably surprised if it's much cheaper than that.
Though the SLA ones are closer to the £1500 you quote, but the range of a bike with an SLA battery is abysmal.

Zero are expensive because they are using cutting edge batteries, on a motor which is one of the better pancake motors in the business, and Sevcon power controller tech which is not that cheap either. They are not so much overpriced, as using premium gear. I also suspect a portion of the Zero's price is in its R&D. Its one of the best electric motorbikes on the market, and its price reflects that.

You can buy cheaper kit if you wish, but you won't have as good a bike.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:49:29 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »

6KWH for the introductory price of £1500 , versus just over twice the kWh for 10 times the price.................for a commuter surely it's a no-brainier ?

Ah. I should have clicked specs... Durr.

http://torkmotorcycles.com/specification.html

Battery life : 1,000 cycles
Battery capacity : 72 Ah
Voltage: 48 V (holy crap its 48v!)

48v * 72Ah = 3.5kWh battery.

So the battery of this bike is nearly 4 times smaller.

So where does the 6 come from? My guess...
Motor type : Brushless DC 6kW (peak)

Again, I bet, based on the specs against the Chinese import bikes, this bike will be closer to 3 grand in the UK.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:20:43 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »

Would they have to add ABS to sell it in Europe or would this thing be considered 125cc and be exempt?

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »

I still believe,It will depend what people entering the market are after,battery life/cycles is irrelevant for me,as this is plenty to last the length of life that I would need it for.I 'd want to change my bike b4 the end of its limited cycles, as tech would have moved on leaps and bounds ,and at that point even a replacement battery would be a cheap alternative.
For someone that's not after max power, and arguably a better looking bike than any of ZE RO's  offerings, this could prove popular ?

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

Battery might be upgradeable at a later date,more power,more cycles as battery tech advances.Competition is good,it will drive prices down, something which there is no argument , needs to happen with ZERO.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »

Really. This is like comparing the Land Rover with the Landwind... Yes, it's an electric bike. Yes, it uses lithium batteries and a DC brushless motor. But it is in no way a competitor for Zero, not functionally and not performance wise. Quality wise I can't see from a distance, but my bet is that it's not up to par with Zero.

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »

If they can win the TT.......

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »

Depends what your requirements are.If we're really talking performance , i'm saying you could go for a lightning LS-218 or something similar over a ZERO, but I don't want to spend £30,000 on my work commute.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »

Quote from: drivespark.com
They started off with their first motorcycle codenamed TX 01, which is their prototype, this took them to winning the iconic Isle Of Man TT. This electric motorcycles touched a top speed of 156 km/h powered by 30Nm of torque and peaking at 40bhp. They used a 7.2KW battery pack to power the race machine.

Read more at: http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2016/indias-first-electric-motorcycle-from-tork-motorcycles-014579.html

Please read your facts. This is not the motorcycle you are referring to. A racing vehicle is *miles* apart from a road legal vehicle in this context.
You are either a sales representative, or somebody with a good case of cognitive dissonance.

Testpilot1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »

👌 Skidz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5