• March 29, 2024, 04:51:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging using portable generators (Tesla but should work with Zero too)  (Read 1351 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile

! No longer available

Some had talked about off roading use and couldn't remember if anyone had tried it out but this shows some of the issues you may run into and features you want to look for.

Starpower

• View Profile

I charged mine once with a Honda 2000W, took 1.5 gal. of gas in effect yielding 60 m.p.g. I was curious what the "gas mileage" would be with genny charging. Not too shabby!
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Seeth

• View Profile

This is actually not bad, as ideas go. I mean, if you're going to go out camping/long rides, it seems fairly valid; though it might be questionable how much further you'd get NOT having a giant generator strapped to the bike.

As far as the ICE bikers go, claiming superiority in that respect, I'm pretty sure I've seen more than one or two wandering out in the bush with an extra tank of gas on their ride...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile

Using a generator is "doable" I drove my Focus Electric from Santa Ana California home to Vegas when I bought it a few years ago.
The Generator that I used was a 7500 / 8500 so, about 4 times as fast as the ones in the Video. The charge rate used on the Tesla in
the video is similar to what an FX or FXS would be. A "cleaner" option would be a 2KW to 3KW Pure sine wave inverter, batteries and
solar panels. If you are going camping, a couple reasonably sized deep cycle AGM or GEL batteries would be useful for more than JUST
charging the Zero. I use a 1KW to charge my FXs with solar panels and batteries. My SR is a little more temperamental so, for now,
it is still being charged from A/C. Haven't tried it with the Generator. If using an inverter, make sure to use PURE SINE as modified puts
a greater strain on electronics causing heat problems and shortened life. While not a cost effective method for JUST charging the Zero,
it is a nice clean(er) option.
Pages: [1]