• April 25, 2024, 06:43:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels  (Read 1006 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »

According to an article in my newspaper yesterday, written by Mead Gruver of the AP, Wyoming is considering passing a law that would fine utilities that used "green power" sources.  This is in spite of the fact the Wyoming produces more wind that just about anywhere else west of Washington, D.C.  ::) Representative David Miller, a Republican and one of the co-sponsors of the fossil-fuel requirement, is quoted as saying: "I want the electricity at my house generated by coal, because that's the cheapest way to go."   :o

Interestingly, the Chokecherry and Sierra Madre project in south-central Wyoming will have 1000 wind turbines and will be able to generate electricity for close to 1 million homes in a state with just 584,000 people.  (I guess they just don't produce enough smoke, pollution and taxes to keep the state legislators happy.   ::)  )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:01:21 AM »

Here's more info on it: https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/wyoming-bill-creates-reverse-rps
Nuts that while a lot of states are actively going green despite the federal government.

Wyomingers, time to rev up you pens and start writing and calling.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:31:28 AM »

Wyoming is the biggest producer and seller of COAL.  Is it any wonder the legislature would want to protect their market over protecting the environment??

I understand the law (as written) would NOT prevent individuals from having solar panels installed on their roof, though.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »

Isn't there a pill for psychopaths and sociopaths or simply currupt bastards by now?

Mind boggling.
I so wish to see those special interest criminals go away before I die.
Just for once I want to see these pests eradicated from our beautiful planet.

Thanks for reporting to us on this. I barely want to read further into this, since it makes me physically ill realizing that there are still people like this around.

Rider7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »

Wyoming is the biggest producer and seller of COAL.  Is it any wonder the legislature would want to protect their market over protecting the environment??

I understand the law (as written) would NOT prevent individuals from having solar panels installed on their roof, though.
It boils down to this:
A new measure submitted to the Wyoming legislature this week would forbid utilities from providing any electricity to the state that comes from large-scale wind or solar energy projects by 2019.
If Wyomingers want to pour billions in a dying industry instead of going all in on wind that's their choice, but I'm interested in how they're planning to actually implement the legislation on the ground. Unless they cut off their grid from others Texas stule there will always be large-scale wind and solar 'leaking' in the state.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »

It is probably best not to try using logic or common sense to what is happening to the world around us right now.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

A good friend of mine, who is as progressive in her political worldview as anyone I know, is defending this legislation.  I was surprised until I learned her full time job is in the coal and gas industry.

As Upton Sinclair so succinctly put it:  "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his NOT understanding it."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 03:25:11 AM »

She is just delaying the inevitable, I would be interested in her arguments to support it and if she would be willing to change her view if she could transfer to the wind industry.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »

Mhh.... good input here.

If someone's opinion is governed by where their money is coming from that makes them a corrupt person.
No pill for that I guess.
At least they could acknowledge the truth and say that they simply have no alternative right now but they are working on it.
I think we ought to be allowed to throw an egg into someone's face if they are knowingly and bluntly supporting old school technology that is proven to be detrimental to humans. Regardless of any climate change discussion. But please make it a certified organic egg.

You know, when I compare humans to a virus to the earth who actually kills their host, I always thought that was very unnatural, until I reliazed that a lot of viruses do that in nature.
So, we are not so unnatural after all.

Sorry, didn't want to divert this thread into philosophy.

Erasmo,
You're right, at some point they'll freak out since their beloved coal electricity will be tainted with leaked wind and solar etc...

Heck, I am using dirty coal and sh.... at my house to charge my Zero, but pay people to put out my annual usage as 100% wind.
Someone is getting that naughty wind power, I hope it gets to the currupt behind the times coal lovers. :)

Rider7

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »

There seems to be evidence that wind and solar are becoming cheaper than fossil fuels.  I think the politicians will have a hard time arguing over that. This example is a blip. Market forces are doing more than any politician can to accelerate the adoption of renewables.

America has a lot of land that can be used for solar and wind. With battery storage coming online, I'm sure many communities will become self sufficient for domestic energy. Those coal fired power stations will close down soon enough.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »

Just keep in mind that there is a lot of political, financial, jobs and just plain inertia, invested in carbon burning.  The cheaper renewables become, the more panic will be created in the oil and coal industry.  ;)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »

According to this article in Forbes Magazine, the solar industry is creating more jobs than coal or natural gas:
http://tinyurl.com/jya9736
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »

I do have high hopes that we can de-coal and gas, de-nuclear and de-trump this universe hopefully in time for our (your) children to keep this ball in space around for a while.

When I rented one of the EV-1 cars in LA for a week, I was so blown away by this thing and thought that the time had finally come, oh boy were we naive.
But now, it looks like it's unstoppable.

Thanks for the links.

Rider7
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:36:02 AM by rider7 »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »

According to this article in Forbes Magazine, the solar industry is creating more jobs than coal or natural gas:
http://tinyurl.com/jya9736
I can't read that article on my sat connection, but it isn't the first time that I've read something like that. Just keep in mind that this boom is temporarily, after initial installation PV barely needs maintenance.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »

Not necessarily true.  As my friend in Wyoming pointed out, dust in Wyoming is a BIG concern as they don't get much rain.  Regular maintenance of the panels to keep them clean will be required to keep them working at peak efficiency.  Same is true in winter... Wyoming can get some unbelievable snowfall, and solar panels buried under deep snow aren't going to be terribly effective either.

The circuits themselves will require monitoring (circuits have been known to fail) and occasional repair and replacement.  As new technology emerges, it would be beneficial to replace older, less efficient panels with newer, more efficient designs as well.

Wind power is also problematic; the hazards they present for migratory birds and bats have been well documented.  Since they are giant, moving parts, like all moving parts they too will require inspection/maintenance/replacement as well.  Nothing is EVER "maintenance free."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2