• April 25, 2024, 02:42:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Exploratory Streamliner Build  (Read 3273 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Exploratory Streamliner Build
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »

Today, I took the bike to the dealer to change the OEM front tire and brake pads (at 19k miles each!).

They didn't find working with the fairing and mount to their liking and added a labor estimate to my bill. Hopefully that goes away - the fasteners should have been easy to work with. In the future, I'll just dismount it myself; if I weren't still settling in, I'd have done quite a bit of work on my own, but my tools are still not all in the same garage.

On a lighter note, I used the 2013DS to commute the ~45 miles each way to work with the OEM Commuter Screen and ... wow, did I not really appreciate how much the fairing does for my drag! The 2013DS arrived at its destination each way with two bars left (under 25%), even while trying to conserve power most of the way by staying at or under 60mph.

The DSR right now can arrive at work with 45% left even though I flog it at 70-75mph average. I-280 traffic tends to run really fast. I'm glad it's scenic and affords views of rolling grassy hills and cows and the occasional horseback rider, but the highway itself has a lot of rises and strong-ish winds and the cars tend to be more expensive and sporty (SUV or coupe).

So, I guess this thing is working. I'm crossing my fingers to get some kind of tail underway soon.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »

So, I guess this thing is working.

People still don't believe me when I tell them I got a 20-25% improvement in range when I installed my windshield (actually 24% by the numbers I have). I have to admit it's pretty hard for me to believe too, but the numbers don't lie.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 05:32:30 AM »

A top box (in conjunction with a screen) also seems to help a little, I guess by cleaning up the air flow at the rear (cutting down on turbulance).

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:40 AM »

Still the age old question, why won't Zero produce a sports fairing for the SR. If you can reduce drag without the use of a wind tunnel, what could be done with hi tech equipment?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

Still the age old question, why won't Zero produce a sports fairing for the SR. If you can reduce drag without the use of a wind tunnel, what could be done with hi tech equipment?
There is a big difference between us making a homebrew fairing and R&D-ing a proper one, proper moulds of that size are really expensive. Especially when there is not that much incentive to do so if you're the only real player on the electric motorcycle market and they're selling like hot cakes anyway.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 05:54:34 AM »

I've been eyeballing cheap fairings off ebay for some time, but it is hard to tell if they will fit well or not on the Zero. For $2-300 bucks for the fairing plus some custom brackets, it might not be too bad of an investment. Unfortunately, it is hard to imagine how a particular fairing would fit/look on the SR.

I'm quite happy with the VStream screen for now and, while I can't tell if it increases my range, it certainly covers me well on the highway and the ride is quite pleasant. My helmet is not up to the task, being noisy, so probably a new helmet should be my next "improvement". Unfortunately, the Schubert C3 that was on sale last year did not fit my head shape well - it felt like it had much better noise control and quality than my Givi flip-up (which is very comfortable and functional, but is rather noisy, like most cheap helmets are)... Interestingly, with the helmet flipped-up the ride is quieter behind the VStream screen than with the helmet closed. Even if I duck completely behind the screen...
'15 Zero SR

bigd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »

DougS  "I got a 20-25% improvement in range when I installed my windshield" What shield and how does it look (pictures please). If you already posted a pic, sorry, I did not see it and would like to. Thanks
Honda 1300VTX

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »

DougS  "I got a 20-25% improvement in range when I installed my windshield" What shield and how does it look (pictures please). If you already posted a pic, sorry, I did not see it and would like to. Thanks

Here, let me help you :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »

I figured out a slightly more attractive color pattern and particularly a high temperature gloss clear coat that handles road debris much better, in time for Makerfaire.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:18 AM »

I figured out a slightly more attractive color pattern and particularly a high temperature gloss clear coat that handles road debris much better, in time for Makerfaire.

How does it affect range/comfort/handling?  Handling: esp. in strong cross winds. When will these by in production? GoFundMe? Is it available in other colors? (note: above comments are mostly satirical. But .. I'd really like one)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:59 AM »

How does it affect range/comfort/handling?  Handling: esp. in strong cross winds. When will these by in production? GoFundMe? Is it available in other colors? (note: above comments are mostly satirical. But .. I'd really like one)

Well, that's the first somewhat serious offer I've heard!

It handles relatively well and seems to yield a 20% efficiency gain and is comfortable to ride behind, although it's incomplete without a complementary tail piece of some kind. Also, the fairing being low means that leg and waist coverage is not great. I have a tail in progress but it's a bit of a mess conceptually while I've been digesting previous works' lessons and trying to make it easy to fabricate and safe and sturdy to use.

As far as reproducing this result, this was the Airtech DBL2 dustbin fairing ($750) with a custom mount made from Zero's drop bars ($250) and some bent tubing around the front trace ($100 parts plus too much welding labor given the prototyping back and forth plus maybe $50 for special Dzus fasteners, another $80 for a decent paint job, $50 to make the cutout's windscreen, $100 for the upper windscreen MRA stalks, and ~$80 for the upper windscreen itself).

... In short, I paid a lot to prototype this, and would rather make something cheaper for others to reproduce.

The DBL2 is visibly very low against the Zero's profile and the profile is square-ish, which reduces cornering angles and makes for more sidewind vulnerability than I'd like. The bike has been usable but a little scary crossing the Bay Bridge in stormy weather with 45knot crosswind gusts. The reduced cornering angle alone is annoying (although shaving the paint or vinyl off in a corner makes a strangely satisfying sound for a moment). I'd pick the DBL1 ($750) or a Vetter nose (more expensive but incredible sturdy and wide) because they have round profiles, are doubly-curved, and therefore can be mounted and braced with one diagonal arc extending in the plane of the drop bars (along the forward diagonal frame strut) and then fastened in multiple points across that arc.

Both of these nose fairings will require making suitable cutouts in the underside of the fairing for the wheel (I now have a good pattern for this for the DS and the S cutout will be a smaller version of the same via togo), and another cutout for a front headlamp. I'm inclined to make a wide cutout for the OEM headlamp and cover it with thin flexible polycarbonate plastic.

I am considering making a little campaign to produce a small batch of these, with help from some knowledgeable fabricating business contacts, but it'll be much simpler than what I just put together and more attractive. Otherwise, I'd just publish the plans (and may just do that, anyway).

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

Wow Brian, this latest update gives the whole thing a much fresher look. Concerning the wind issue, maybe bad weather 'slide windows' on the side next to the wheels that you can open up before riding?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »

Wow Brian, this latest update gives the whole thing a much fresher look. Concerning the wind issue, maybe bad weather 'slide windows' on the side next to the wheels that you can open up before riding?

The nacelles are openings that I've considered giving flaps but haven't worked that out. It's not terrible and honestly I'm going to spend my time on a round profile tail and then replace the front fairing with something rounder-profiled because that'll probably make a bigger difference.
Pages: 1 2 [3]