• March 29, 2024, 02:15:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Emergency belt kit!  (Read 4839 times)

odedmaz

• View Profile
Emergency belt kit!
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »

When the Zero belt breaks, you find yourself stuck on the side of the road, or off road with no ability to replace the belt on the fly.
Replacement takes time and special tools.

to solve this problem, I had a specially made re-enforced rubber belt made to my specs, in the exact dimensions of the Zero (2013-2016) belt. the emergency belt is installed next to the swingarm and tucked away nicely in front of the motor (requiring the same procedure as replacing a belt). since the emergency belt is made of special re-enforced rubber, it can fold easily, unlike the original belt that will break if folded. once installed, it just sits there out of the way.

When the original belt breaks, all you have to do is take off the rear mud guard with an allen key, and place the emergency belt over the front & rear pulleys, a 3 minute job, and you can ride away. It is meant to get you home or to the garage, where an original Zero belt should be installed.  I will not accelerate hard or ride fast with the emergency belt installed.

tried it few times already and it works great. I have no more worries of being stuck with a broken belt. I find it as important as keeping a spare wheel in my car.

made a short video tutorial, showing the installation process -  <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/201203776" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/201203776">Zero emergency belt tutorial</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user307752">oded mazor</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

https://vimeo.com/201203776

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************
add on edit -

Got many messages and requests for these belts, so to make things easier, I opened an Ebay account and willing to ship them worldwide.
I have quite a few as I needed to buy a bulk since they are specially made.

if interested, here is the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/282340261998?item=282340261998&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#shpCntId
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:01:12 PM by odedmaz »

ticobrahe

• View Profile
Re: Emergency belt kit!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »

That's awesome man. How much did it cost to get a custom belt made, if you don't mind sharing? Where does one go to even get something like that done?
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »

Excellent belt & video, Oded!  Your belt's definitely way more flexible than the Zero one & is exactly what's needed for quick / easy replacement in the dirt, especially if you're tired and/or running out of time before sunset.

Ray
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:20:19 AM by rayivers »
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:09 AM »

That's a great hack! I'd also like a set of instructions for getting similar belts made, or we make a batch and mail them out or something.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »

Awesome idea, I am on board. I would buy one.

Rider 7
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »

Me too! 😅

2015 FX ZF6.5 👹 DoD #2160,6

Clay
DoD #2160,6

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »

When the Zero belt breaks, you find yourself stuck on the side of the road, or off road with no ability to replace the belt on the fly.
Interesting. I'm curious as to the number of people who have had belts break. In other words, how concerned should I be about my belt breaking? To put that in perspective, as compared to running over a nail, flat tire?

That said ... great job! Am guessing it wasn't cheap to have designed/manufactured.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »

Interesting. I'm curious as to the number of people who have had belts break. In other words, how concerned should I be about my belt breaking? To put that in perspective, as compared to running over a nail, flat tire?

That said ... great job! Am guessing it wasn't cheap to have designed/manufactured.

The fatter belt on most of the 2017 lineup (e.g. 2017 Zero S ZF13 still uses the smaller belt) should mean breaking belts is a lot less common.  This solution would have to be modified in order to work with the new belt anyway, it's really meant for the old 14mm wide 8mm pitch belts.

The older belts do break.  There are plenty of posts about it and it was definitely a factor in Zero's decision to go with the newer 17mm wide 11mm pitch belts.  I have not had a belt break myself but have had some teeth come off a belt and had to have it replaced.  In fact, that prompted me to buy two belts so that I have one ready in case another breaks.

This is a really great solution for getting out of a jam.  However, it seems as though it's not meant for long term use.  If a belt breaks, use it to get yourself home and/or to get your bike to a shop.  Order a new belt and once it arrives have it installed and return the emergency belt to it's waiting position.  I mean, after all 'emergency' is right in the title of the post.  Nice work @odedmaz.
2014 Zero S

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

Want

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »

This is seriously impressive!

There have been multiple posts on this forum about torn/broken belts. Being stranded by a torn belt has always been a fear of mine. I purchased a spare belt but I would need a mechanic to replace it since I don't have the tools. Getting to the mechanic is the problem and this solves it.

Very nice.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »

Belt-drive isn't really suitable for off-road use, hence the chain kit. As my mechanic friend informs me, all it takes is a small rock to lodge between the cog and belt (a virtual certainty) and the belt is history.

Having a small rock guard in the right shape and place would reduce the probability of the belt snapping. But this spare belt idea is brilliant, and IMO by itself makes it practical to off-road with a belt. It would be a completely indispensable item to carry.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

this special emergency belt can & should be used, IMO, for road & off road use.
belts do break, and finding yourself on the side of the road wasting time & money waiting for a tow truck is something we want to avoid.
the importance of a belt for off road use is self explanatory.

Got many messages and requests for these belts, so to make things easier, I opened an Ebay account and willing to ship them worlwide.
I have quite a few as I needed to buy a bulk since they are specially made.

if interested, here is the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/282340261998?item=282340261998&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

Thanks.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

I've considered it, but then again based on the way I ride the bike I'll NEVER be all that far from home with it and as an AMA Member I have free towing in case something should happen.  But if you ever decide to market this idea of yours, I'm listening.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »

I have several friends that have BMW models, such as the F650CS and the F800ST/GT which are belt driven, plus I spend time on both model forums.  I have yet to hear of a belt actually breaking, but they well strip their teeth if you let them go too long without replacement.  One fellow that I know, rode 98,000 miles on his F800ST without replacing his belt and managed to strip all of the teeth from the belt, leaving him stranded and needing a tow.  But that was certainly an extreme example of lack of maintenance - considering BMW recommends replacing the $500  :o belt every 24K miles. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:33 AM »

Let me be the first for you then, my belt broke at 6500km's last saturday. And that sucks immensely, waiting in the cold and rain for a tow truck to arrive... luckily i was in full gear included heated gloves and boots....
Pages: [1] 2