• April 25, 2024, 12:28:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rear swingarm stand for 16 SR rec request  (Read 3932 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: Rear swingarm stand for 16 SR rec request
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 11:58:32 PM »

Currently running spools through the axle with threaded rod. I am machining a few sets of axle blocks with integrated threads for spools. For the FX/FXS but I think all the rear axles are the same so should work on any '13+.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »

I thought you can't use any kind of center stand with S/SR because unlike DS/R with metal skid plate, S/SR has plastic one and it will crush under bike's weight.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »

Currently running spools through the axle with threaded rod.

I love that idea. I'm about ready to toss my flimsy cheapo stand, and I can definitely see the advantage of the spools.

What size/thread of rod did you use? Do the spools come already threaded internally or did you have to cut your own threads?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »

So, I take that as a yes, the center pan of the DSR can support the bike unlike the SR pan.
It looks sturdy and feels sturdy.

Another option I have not seen anybody mentione is the abba stand.
I build a copy of the abba stand for my ZRX-1200R.
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1

If you turn adapters big enough to fit into the large either center frame hole or swingarm hole, it should work just fine.

Rider7

32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »

I added a couple of the recommendations to the wiki and linked here: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Lift

I use a rear stand for my V-Strom that does not quite grab the Zero rear swingarm as well as I'd like, so I've dragged my feet on finding a new one. But I have a ratcheting center lift which works fine when I occasionally need one.

Hey Brian, just saw what you linked (MSR pro lift stand) in the wiki... I can confirm it will not work with an SR (and S for that matter). Even on it's lowest to the ground setting (9.5"), it is still a couple inches too high off the ground to get under the center of the bike. Ironically, that is what was the impetus for starting this thread earlier today when I asked about rear stands.

Very good point. It probably isn't really suitable for the DS either. I've tweaked the entry slightly and will check which lift I'm using and add that because it's adjustable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »

That said, I'll turn some adapters for both potential pickup points and let you know if works and you can decide to either build yourself one or buy the abba stand and just turn the adapters and and use that as an alternative to a paddock stand.
I know that I loved having the freedom of a completely free suspended swingarm, since especially for a belt change, you need it.

The abba stand then also comes with an additional (optional) arm that allows to tie the swing arm down to it and lift the front up into a hover.

I accomplished that on my copy by simply tying the rear down to the stand with soft ties and ratchets to the stand. It worked on my ZRX which is 100 lbs heavier than the DSR.

I took the forks out and all with no sweat since the stand and the tie downs created a sturdy tight unit that I trusted.

Anyway, just some alternatives to the paddock stands.

Rider7

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:52 AM »

hey, so it's been asked a couple times already but I haven't seen any of the elders of the group respond yet... does the S/SR plastic underside support center stand lift functionality. I was told a number of times that it does by my dealers mechanic, but they sell about 1 zero a month and have a comparable basis of zero knowledge and wisdom (but they do sell a ton of triumphs, aprilias, and nortons)

Has any of our group's users had favorable results from center lift use w/ their S/SR? The plastic holds up well after long stretches lifted and no warping or cracking or anything? Thanks for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »

So, I take that as a yes, the center pan of the DSR can support the bike unlike the SR pan.
It looks sturdy and feels sturdy.

Another option I have not seen anybody mentione is the abba stand.
I build a copy of the abba stand for my ZRX-1200R.
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1

If you turn adapters big enough to fit into the large either center frame hole or swingarm hole, it should work just fine.

Rider7

Seems to me if you were going to make a stand the best current contact point would be the big frame pipe.  Just something soft covering the stand contact points to not damage the frame.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »

hey, so it's been asked a couple times already but I haven't seen any of the elders of the group respond yet... does the S/SR plastic underside support center stand lift functionality. I was told a number of times that it does by my dealers mechanic, but they sell about 1 zero a month and have a comparable basis of zero knowledge and wisdom (but they do sell a ton of triumphs, aprilias, and nortons)

Has any of our group's users had favorable results from center lift use w/ their S/SR? The plastic holds up well after long stretches lifted and no warping or cracking or anything? Thanks for input.

went ahead and rolled the dice that nothing would get damaged and everything worked fine. the plastic held up fine while the SR was on the center lift, no noticeable stress to the underside at all. went for a short ride after lowering and bike rode as normal. don't see any noticeable issues. its all good in the hood.

2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »

New2elec,

uI agree, going right to the frame, that is the principle of these stands, since it allows you to lift the bike in the back and the front when needed.
I'd have to test how the leverage is for the tie downs to pull the bike about the pivot axis. Maybe I'd have to add the additional lever that abba stand makes for front end lift.
On my ZRX I didn't have to add that lever and that thing has this massive 1200 cc block I it too.
It really all depends on the lever lengths about the CG.

Also, I'll send a message to them and ask if they have a zero stand planned.
All they do is make the adapters for any possible frame pickup points on all the different models.

In terms of damage to the frame.
I won't have time to turn an adapter very soon, but will report back when I have.
If I turn it big enough, there will be so little play that no real movement of the adapters will be possible and it cannot dmamage the frame pipe besides maybe minor marks form sliding it in and out.

Rider7
[/quote]

Seems to me if you were going to make a stand the best current contact point would be the big frame pipe.  Just something soft covering the stand contact points to not damage the frame.
[/quote]

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »

An adapter for the swingarm tube with holes threaded for spools would be brilliant or no?  Maybe make it some kind of storage compartment.   Any problems with this idea for balance / clearances?

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »

i like mine. had to get the swing arm adapters but still was only $60 or so. it is an SRD if i remember correctly.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »

@ticobrahe,

if you put your SR on that cover, heck, I'll put my DSR on it, it should hold the bike plus a small elephant. Thanks for testing it :)

Rider7

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »

i like mine. had to get the swing arm adapters but still was only $60 or so. it is an SRD if i remember correctly.

laters,

laramie  ;)

Laramie,

did you attach a picture? All I see is a small square.

I'd like to see your adapters that you're mentioning.
And was that in reference to the paddock stand? Or the Abba stand?

Rider7

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »

@ticobrahe,

if you put your SR on that cover, heck, I'll put my DSR on it, it should hold the bike plus a small elephant. Thanks for testing it :)

Rider7

yep, it went up and down with no issues at all. was stable enough but i threw on a couple bungee cords as a precaution.

2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America
Pages: 1 [2] 3