• April 24, 2024, 01:40:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Activation Time After Charging  (Read 1012 times)

Delnari

• View Profile
Power Activation Time After Charging
« on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:20 AM »

I noticed that after charging my '17 SR when I turn the bike on via the activation switch on throttle side it can take many seconds to fully activate.  It will keep flashing the Power / ReGen meters severals times before the light goes to a solid green and the motor is ready for throttle control.

Does everybody's bike do this after charging?

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Power Activation Time After Charging
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:31 AM »

I noticed that after charging my '17 SR when I turn the bike on via the activation switch on throttle side it can take many seconds to fully activate.  It will keep flashing the Power / ReGen meters severals times before the light goes to a solid green and the motor is ready for throttle control.

Do you hear the contactor click right away, or is that delayed?

Mine goes through the instrument panel initialization, then it clicks and is ready to go.

2015 FX ZF6.5
DoD #2160,6
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:23:53 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

clockfort

• 2015 Zero SR; Silicon Valley USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:28:43 AM »

It's just to limit heavy inrush current into the controller during startup when its caps are discharged.
Zero covers pre-charging in the manual / error messages (and it is covered in http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual ).

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-charge if you're feeling bored and interested in high power electronics )
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:32:11 AM by clockfort »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:58:39 AM »

It's just to limit heavy inrush current into the controller during startup when its caps are discharged.
Zero covers pre-charging in the manual / error messages (and it is covered in http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual ).

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-charge if you're feeling bored and interested in high power electronics )

Nice reference! I've given Pre-charge its own section and linked the wikipedia article:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Precharge
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:49:26 AM »

The reason I asked was because the bike would go to "ready" state in 1-2 seconds initially when I first got it.  Since the Charge Tank installation one month later it seems to have these long delays of what you are calling "Precharge".  I do hear the connectors switch right away when turning the key on, but the green ready light keeps blinking for 4-8 seconds afterwards along with the display showing multiple bar up and down movements before it goes steady green and I can power the bike forward.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »

The reason I asked was because the bike would go to "ready" state in 1-2 seconds initially when I first got it.  Since the Charge Tank installation one month later it seems to have these long delays of what you are calling "Precharge".  I do hear the connectors switch right away when turning the key on, but the green ready light keeps blinking for 4-8 seconds afterwards along with the display showing multiple bar up and down movements before it goes steady green and I can power the bike forward.

I have not had a charge tank to test, but this is good to know.

The principle is that the motor controller, battery, and any attached chargers have capacitor banks. Pre-charge equalizes the voltage across the contactor before shutting to prevent spike currents as capacitor banks transfer charge instantly.

Adding the charge tank or supercharger mean that pre-charge has more capacitor banks to charge up before the BMS will allow closing the contactor.

Your symptom description is maybe confused. While the green ready light is blinking, the bike should not make a cogging noise when rolling the wheels, and the throttle should not work. These are the most immediate effects of the contactor being open.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:37:38 AM by BrianTRice »

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »

I guess it is as being described here.  Need to wait for all the circuits to fully power-up before ECU allows the bike to run.  Learning to turn the bike on with the motor switch in the "off" position while I'm getting ready to ride.  Allowing it many seconds or a minute to sit in the switch on position allows me to get ready to ride once getting on instead of waiting for all the battery magic to take place while sitting on the bike.

Be interested to hear from others who have the Charge Tank installed how long it takes their bike to go to a ready to ride mode after switching the key on.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:54:26 AM »

I have a charge tank on my 2014S.  It boots up and is ready to go in about 5 seconds.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »

I have a charge tank on my 2014S.  It boots up and is ready to go in about 5 seconds.   :)

I think the SR/DSR's Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 controllers have more capacitors to precharge than the Size 4 on the S/DS models.
Pages: [1]