• March 29, 2024, 11:20:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Programming the Zero Delta Q charger  (Read 2027 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Programming the Zero Delta Q charger
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:06:28 AM »

Can I add multiple charging profiles to the delta Q provided by zero?  Or can I just reprogram it entirely to charge a 48v battery?  I am building an electric mower and I have 2 Chevy volt packs I will run in parallel.  My other thought is maybe I could just connect the batteries in series while charging and I wouldn't have to change anything on the charger presumably because it is setup for 96v lithium.  Any ideas?
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Re: Programming the Zero Delta Q charger
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 04:34:46 AM »

I have seen all of that but still can't figure out how and if it can be changed from 96v to 48v.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:59:31 AM »

I have seen all of that but still can't figure out how and if it can be changed from 96v to 48v.

Ah, I found a FAQ for "Can the amps be adjusted?" which says that no, they can't, and adds that the DC output voltage is not configurable.

So, that's disappointing.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »

What model is the DeltaQ charger you've got? is it a 72V version? or 48V version? The 72V range won't work with a 48V pack, it's too low.

Also, programming you'll need to find someone with the lithium profiles (I have them). I program for a fee, which is reasonable.
Travis

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »

Well I don't need the amps adjusted, just the voltage.  My model is a 913-9600-01.  It's a 96v.  Can those be programmed to lower voltages?  If not what do you think about connecting the batteries in series during charging?
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »

Well I don't need the amps adjusted, just the voltage.  My model is a 913-9600-01.  It's a 96v.  Can those be programmed to lower voltages?  If not what do you think about connecting the batteries in series during charging?

I only cited that answer because they answer your question in the same breath: no.

Connecting batteries in series in this case sounds sane to me, as long as you can make the equipment for it operate safely.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »

Ooops, sorry, somehow I missed that part. That's a bummer.  What are the differences in their programmable charging profiles/algorithms besides battery type if voltage cannot be adjusted?  I may just start with manually connecting the batteries in series at first then see if I can find a contactor that will disconnect the motor when it connects the batteries in series.  Obviously I will have the main contactor off when doing the charging manually but if someone were to turn the switch on/mower on I will either blow my fuse or the motor.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

I know that "generic" Delta Q Chargers can be programmed but, can the Zero Delta Q program
be changed? If so, I would imagine that it would be to facilitate use on Non Zero applications.
IF the Zero Delta Q can be programmed, are there any "enhancements" that could be seen
if reprogrammed for use on the Zeros?

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »

the voltage RANGE cannot be adjusted.

The end voltage is programmable. The problem is, the 96V and 72V chargers cannot go down that low. They have a range that does not encompass 48V. Lets say the 72V has a range of 60-100V, and 96V has a range of 80V to 130V. Neither can be used to charge a 48V battery. They won't turn on because the voltage is too low.

Travis

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »

Well thanks for clearing that up.  Now I wonder if the zero delta q charger is really 96v or if it's been changed slightly.  I found a cheap charger on amazon.  It's called veribest.  Seems like a cheesy name but they sell a 48v 4A lithium charger for $90 so I may just go with that.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual
Pages: [1]