• April 26, 2024, 12:00:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about label on 2017 Zero Motorcycles motor and Sevcon controller  (Read 4457 times)

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

Today was the first day I familiarized myself with the components on my new 2017 DSR but....
I just discovered something very disturbing.

The main reason why I paid premium for the DSR model was because they upgraded the controller to 775A and also specify a motor model 75-7R instead of 75-7.

I discovered this plaque on my controller.

AU3720 SEVCON
Type Gen4 80V 550 A
Controller part number: 634A85210
Serial: 1610300290
MY17 DSR 13.0

And I cannot find 76-5R on my motor.

Any idea how that is to be explained?

Now I am really wondering if I even have a 2017 model.
The belt is 17mm wide. Someone here said the old belt was 14mm.
But I think he referred to the FXS.

The sticker on the steering stem says manufactured Dec. 2016, so it should be a 2017 model.
It also says model 2017, but why does it not show the amps on the ontroller and the R on the motor?

Help me out here, would you?

I won't move this bike until I get to the bottom of this now.

Maybe you guys have the same thing going on and the nominal numbers on the stickers don't mean anything, but in my world, they should.

I will contact the dealer and Zero tomorrow, unless I get good feedback here.

Rider7
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:24:33 AM by rider7 »
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

MrDude_1

• View Profile

that sticker also says 80v and you know its a 116v bike... I doubt you can trust that sticker.

rider7

• View Profile

that sticker also says 80v and you know its a 116v bike... I doubt you can trust that sticker.

Mr.Dude,
I never actually looked at voltages to be quite honest.
So, I don't know that it's 116V.

The zero sticker below the controller plaque also says MY 17 which probably means manufacturing year 2017.
The steering stem sticker says mfg. Dec. 2016. I know that is normal for the successive model year.

But, I am more inclined to believe the SEVCON sticker than the Zero sticker if this is actually a 2016 model.
Although the 2016 model page on their website says 660A controller.

I am open for more input here.

Whoever bought a 2017 DSR, please check your controller and your motor engraving, I want to know if your's show the same specs.

Rider7

MajorMajor

• View Profile

You might consider a more informative title if you want the right people to read this thread.

Electric Terry

• View Profile

If you go to Sevcon's website and download their size 2,4,6 Gen 4 manual you will see that 80v nominal has a range of 39v-116v
And the 550A peak rating (2 min) has a boost of 660A (10 seconds).  This document was however produced in July 2016, and this is an update to the Gen 4.  Lets call it the Gen 4.5.  Its peak is 775 Amps.

Your production date was Dec 2016?  There is no doubt it's a 2017 model!  Why the cause for concern?  Why the subject line Help!!!!!!?

No need to contact Zero and waste their time or yours.  Go find a 2016 DSR and accelerate 0-60 side by side and see the difference.  The bike you have has over 100 more amps available to the motor than the 2016 DSR's did.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Low On Cash

• View Profile

Hey Guys mine is a 17 DRS and here's my motor ID - mine hauls ass!

rider7

• View Profile

If you go to Sevcon's website and download their size 2,4,6 Gen 4 manual you will see that 80v nominal has a range of 39v-116v
And the 550A peak rating (2 min) has a boost of 660A (10 seconds).  This document was however produced in July 2016, and this is an update to the Gen 4.  Lets call it the Gen 4.5.  Its peak is 775 Amps.

Your production date was Dec 2016?  There is no doubt it's a 2017 model!  Why the cause for concern?  Why the subject line Help!!!!!!?

No need to contact Zero and waste their time or yours.  Go find a 2016 DSR and accelerate 0-60 side by side and see the difference.  The bike you have has over 100 more amps available to the motor than the 2016 DSR's did.

Thanks Electric Terry,
Not sure why you ask me why I was concerned about this and ask for help, hence the subject.
If I see a subject line help I check immediately why someone asks for help.
So I think "Help" is the perfect subject to get help.

I don't know anybody with a 2016 Zero, so I cannot compare.

Do you have an idea why the motor doesn't have R engraved on it?
It has all the other numbers.

Also, why wouldn't I be concerned? How am I supposed to know that the peak current isn't specified on the plaque?
I am new to EVs.

I really appreciate your feedback though Electric Terry, I mean it :)

Thanks

Rider7

Low On Cash

• View Profile

Stupid thread title!

Sounds like your were in an motorcycle accident! LOL

rider7

• View Profile

Stupid thread title!

Sounds like your were in an motorcycle accident! LOL

Hahaha...ok, ok guys, get over it.
It felt I was after I saw the ominous 550A starring at me.

I can see myself grabbing my phone after a crash writing Help to this forum
before calling the ambulance :)

Low On Cash

• View Profile

There's noting to worry about you'll get a full 12 hp and a top sped of 45 mph from your 17 Zero.  LOL

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Question about label on 2017 Zero Motorcycles motor and Sevcon controller
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:06:24 AM »

Another case solved by EMF.! ;D

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »

Holy moly,

You guys are an electric bunch  ;D

By the way, I have to apologize for having had tunnel vision on the motor engraving.
It has the R in the top line, just not in the line I expected it to be in as it is on their website.
Also, I learned that the part number 30-08100 is the R version. The none R is 30-08099.

I have to drive myself to the ER now from all that stress of having thought I bought a 12 hp, 45mph super bike. At least it's silent.... hahah...

One last word, I don't care what you guys think and say, I don't think it was obvious that I had to assume that the peak boost is not on the label?
I am really surprised that not more people had the same question seeing 550A when they expect to see a nice 775A.  :o :o

Ok, I am letting it go now.
And by the way, yes, it does go insanely fast, it almost pulls one's fillings out..... but I have no comparison, and next year, there will probably be 1000A controller that melts your ass at full throttle  :D

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

I Just picked up my 3rd Zero a few weeks ago. With work and less than pleasant weather
I haven't had much chance to check it out too closely. Funny thing about THIS bike is that
when it was registered originally, the person at DMV did not keep the MSO, so, I got it
along with the Title.

Information on MSO:
Date: February 10 2016
Series or Model: 2016 SR ZF 13.0
HP ( S.A.E. ) 16KW

So, I have a 21 HP Zero SR
That might explain why I was less impressed than I had hoped.
Off for the next two days, forecast for mid 50s and Sunny, so,
hopefully I will be able to get a little more time to evaluate.

rider7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »

I Just picked up my 3rd Zero a few weeks ago. With work and less than pleasant weather
I haven't had much chance to check it out too closely. Funny thing about THIS bike is that
when it was registered originally, the person at DMV did not keep the MSO, so, I got it
along with the Title.

Information on MSO:
Date: February 10 2016
Series or Model: 2016 SR ZF 13.0
HP ( S.A.E. ) 16KW

So, I have a 21 HP Zero SR
That might explain why I was less impressed than I had hoped.
Off for the next two days, forecast for mid 50s and Sunny, so,
hopefully I will be able to get a little more time to evaluate.

Hahahah, KrazyEd,

don't let that whopping 21 hp kill you :)
Do keep your bikes or sell them when you buy new ones?

Rider7

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »

I have been down the quarter mile in 9 seconds at over 150 mph on Turbocharged Z1R and
GSXr street bikes, Also over 200 mph on the dry lakes so I should be okay with the Zeros.
As far as my old bikes, sometimes I sell them other times not.
In July of 2015, I was run over on my XU on the way home from picking it up after Harlan
put a new motor in it. It was Destroyed, so, I had my FX and my Suzuki SV650 to ride.
Early Spring 2016 I started looking at replacements. Wasn't happy with what I saw, so,
went out to my back garage pulled out a 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo that I resurrected
and have been riding along with the other two for the past year. Now that I have the
SR, I will probably put the Turbo back into the garage. The FX is a 2013 5.7 set up
the same as the new FXS with S Wheels, bigger brakes and the Fox shock. Not sure
if anyone would be willing to pay enough for the FX to justify getting rid of it so probably
keep it because it is so much fun to play with.
Pages: [1] 2