• March 29, 2024, 02:49:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Parking brake info question  (Read 3566 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Parking brake info question
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:20 AM »

And the manual page says, "If your motorcycle is equipped with a parking brake..." Must be a feature they haven't gotten around to yet.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:46:00 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 07:21:18 AM »

You go look up the damn law if your so interested!

I'm telling you its not legal to manufacture any vehicle without some type of parking brake - be it a scooter motorcycle ATV  car truck or whatever where have you been?

Don't be a jerk about use your head -  its unsafe!

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »

None of the pics on the website that I looked at show the brake and there was no mention of it in any description. Maybe an option for the cop or military models? I'm glad that mine doesn't have that silly thing on it. If it did I would have taken it off straightaway. Seems totally pointless to me. Bought that thingy they sell for $10, but have not used it once! Fairly flat around here though.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 08:20:30 AM »

Thanks everybody for your input.

Electric Terry
thanks for your input about the top case.
Call me whatever you want, but top cases make any motorcycle look absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
I won't be able to overcome that aversion I have.
It is especially the oval shape of the Givi that I cannot get over.
I am actually going to mount Nanuk
https://www.nanuk.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nanuk
cases as side cases. They come in a large varity of depths so you don't drag massive boxes next to your bike.
I want to keep the agility, the sporty looks and just add a little bit of practicality.

Fred
You are right, the confusion came from me mixing two topics.
I cannot take the helmet with me everywhere I go though.
I go to school too and there is no room in the class room to put it.
I have been wearing back packs on all my bikes all my life too, they are a good trunk.

JaimeC
I have seen the grip locks. At first I thought they are awesome, but then not so anymore.

I know it probably won't damage the brake system, but as a technician, I simply don't want to keep a hydraulic system engaged all the time. It is just something that doesn't sit with me right.
And the added benefit of the grip lock as a theft deterrent is not really one.
Take the grinder that you show up with as a thief, cut the brake lever in half, pull it out, leave the rest dangle until you are back in your thief compound.
But I appreciate the tip.

Anyway, it looks like Zero will probably release this brake soon, but as I see the prices on their website, it will be cost prohibitive and I'll go with the velcro strap until others copy the system and offer it for a better price.
I might build one myself from an ATV or something like that.

I liked the http://roadlok.com, which would be theft deterrent and brake, but they don't make one for axial caliper mounts. Only radial.

Thanks for everybody else's input as always.

Rider7

32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

None of the pics on the website that I looked at show the brake and there was no mention of it in any description. Maybe an option for the cop or military models? I'm glad that mine doesn't have that silly thing on it. If it did I would have taken it off straightaway. Seems totally pointless to me. Bought that thingy they sell for $10, but have not used it once! Fairly flat around here though.

Say10,

I am also concerned that someone might accidentally roll it off the side stand.
32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »

In the one case where I needed the lacking parking brake... I just laid my bike down (gently).
But that grade was not on a legal roadway.

A CVT is in neutral when stopped, Zeros have the motor engaged at all times (granted resistance is very low - (but it won't bump start)) so the finer point of the law might be lost.

Searching for laws I find a lot of them for vehicles with 3 wheels and more. Those I did find - said hydraulics do not count.

That brake in the manual diagram looks targeted to meet the need as a complete bolt on isolated system if anywhere applies it to motorcycles.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »

49 CFR 571.135 requires cars, and light trucks and buses to have a parking brake. No mention of motorcycles. No motorcycle (aside from the scooter) that I've ridden in 30 years has had a parking brake.

49 CFR 571.122 - Standard No. 122; “Motorcycle brake systems” requires parking brakes on categories 3-2 and 3-5 (trikes and low power three wheelers), NOT categories 3-1, 3-3, and 3-4 (two wheelers and sidecars).

That's the US law.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:57:42 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »

You'll just have to try to use your heads on this one guys!

For the very fact they just issued new laws for Auto-cycles, so will they for automatic motorcycles. Motorcycles never needed e brakes because they were equipped with a compression brakes through the transmission. Now that Honda has the DCT and electric bikes are a reality, E brakes are in order and should (and will) be put on every bike that does not have a standard transmission for braking.

Do you think Honda installed mechanical E brakes on all their DTC  bikes; NM4 CTX700 NC700 for fun - they knew it was a liability and didn't wait for an accident to happen.  Do you also think the new Zero E brake (which they left off my bike) was engineered for just the fun of it or because it wasn't needed?

Has anyone ever heard of a motorcycle rolling off the stand . . .  you guys need to quit attacking users for no reasons at all on this forum - Open your mind before you engage your mouth and start criticizing posts when they concern safety!

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of a motorcycle rolling off the stand . . .  you guys need to quit attacking users for no reasons at all on this forum - Open your mind before you engage your mouth and start criticizing posts when they concern safety!
You started out saying it was the law, then attacking the poster who asked you to specify it. I cited the federal regs, that's what you asked for after you wouldn't do it yourself. 30 years of riding and I never had a bike roll off the sidestand, and I always park in neutral. Plus, parking in gear is not a safe alternative to a parking brake, that's why the state of Texas requires cars to use their parking brakes. And really, how many people will be killed by a motorcycle falling over? I suggest you take out your anger on whomever misled you into believing your new bike would come with a parking brake.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:04:57 PM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »

On a few occasions, I have had my Zero try to roll away when parked on a hill with no curb to use as block for the wheel.  So I carry a strip of Velcro in my tank bag and use that to tie the front brake lever back to hold the front brake on.  It seems to work just fine and if your brakes are a little spongy, will help firm to them up too.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »

Doesn't everybody always park with the front wheel higher than the rear? I always either pull straight into the parking spot, or turn around and back into it, depending on which end is higher. Not only does that keep the weight of the bike going rearward on the kickstand, so it's keeping it extended rather than folding it up, it also means whichever way you have to back up, you're doing it downhill rather than uphill.

Another parking gem: When I'm driving around a parking lot, looking for a space to park (on the bike or in the car), I hate it when I get halfway into a spot only to realize there's a motorcycle parked deep in the spot. So unless I'm sharing the spot, I always park "shallow" in the spot, near the entry end, so other drivers can see from a long way away that the spot is occupied.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »

Seems for "safety" our legislature wrote a slew of exceptions...

So it isn't me not using my head when safety is concerned... it is a long standing tradition of legislation.

Here is Wisconsin law (Federal and future may vary) noting the deliberate exceptions for motorcycles:

347.35  Brakes.
(1)  Motor vehicles. No person shall operate any motor vehicle, other than a moped or motorcycle, upon a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle and capable of meeting the performance specifications under s. 347.36. There shall be 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels.
(1a) Parking brakes. Every such vehicle and combination of vehicles, except mopeds and Type 1 motorcycles, shall be equipped with parking brakes adequate to hold the vehicle on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading on a surface free from snow, ice or loose material. The parking brakes shall be capable of being applied by the driver's muscular effort or by spring action or by equivalent means. Their operation may be assisted by the service brakes or other source of power provided that failure of the service brake actuation system or other power assisting mechanism will not prevent the parking brakes from being applied. The parking brakes shall be so designed that when once applied they shall remain applied with the required effectiveness despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind. The same brake drums, brake shoes and lining assemblies, brake shoe anchors and mechanical brake shoe actuation mechanism normally associated with the wheel brake assemblies may be used for both the service brakes and the parking brakes. If the means of applying the parking brakes and the service brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part shall not leave the vehicle without operative brakes.
(2) Mopeds and motorcycles. No person may operate a moped or motorcycle upon a highway unless the moped or motorcycle is equipped with at least one brake capable of meeting the performance specifications set forth in s. 347.36. The brake may be designed to be operated either by hand or by foot.

And of course here is a Wisconsin Law Zero fails to comply with... unless I wear a scarf.

Wisconsin Statutes 347.486  General requirements.
347.486(3) No person may operate a motorcycle without a functioning muffler.

Otherwise Zero has done a very good job of meeting all requirements. I think we got ABS because of a European requirement.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »

I posted my thoughts from a safety standpoint regarding the imminent danger of a roll off, and instead of discussing the subject like adults to hopefully make riders aware of the danger, we get a "Goofy Troll Response" from Jaime in an attempt to de-rail the thread. Regretfully, he lacks the ability to understand the dangers of a 500 lb bike rolling down a busy sidewalk unattended.

Every motor vehicle is required (by law) to provide some means of a parking brake to prevent the bike from rolling when unattended. Motorcycles are only "Except" because of the compression factor when in gear. Its just a matter of time it will be in writing to include electric & automatic transmission bikes since they have no ability to prevent roll off which can be very dangerous. 

For the same reason Honda and Can Am was ahead of the game and installed e brakes on all their Dual Clutch 6 speed and "Automatic" transmissions and the very same reason even Zero now shows an e brake in their manual, confirms I'm 100% correct.

I took the time to shoot three other automatic motorcycles which I own and are all equipped with E brakes to clearly show that “All” automatic motorcycles are required to provide some type of mechanical brake - with Zero introduction in 17 that is 4 bikes.

Is any of this starting to make sense now?

Regards - Mike

HONDA NM4

HONDA NC700

CAM AM F3T

ZERO DSR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 01:14:40 AM »

I posted my thoughts from a safety standpoint regarding the imminent danger of a roll off, and instead of discussing the subject like adults to hopefully make riders aware of the danger, we get a "Goofy Troll Response" from Jaime in an attempt to de-rail the thread. Regretfully, he lacks the ability to understand the dangers of a 500 lb bike rolling down a busy sidewalk unattended.
Self balancing Honda? Why are you parking on the sidewalk? I truly don't see the danger.

Every motor vehicle is required (by law) to provide some means of a parking brake to prevent the bike from rolling when unattended. Motorcycles are only "Except" because of the compression factor when in gear.
Patently wrong. I already quoted the law. Motorcycles are "Except [sic]" because IT'S THE LAW.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 01:16:29 AM »

Self balancing Honda? Why are you parking on the sidewalk? I truly don't see the danger.

Every motor vehicle is required (by law) to provide some means of a parking brake to prevent the bike from rolling when unattended. Motorcycles are only "Except" because of the compression factor when in gear.
Patently wrong. I already quoted the law. Motorcycles are "Except [sic]" because IT'S THE LAW.

Get Lost! It's way over your head!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4