• April 24, 2024, 07:31:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Installed my SuperCharger V2!  (Read 9333 times)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
Re: Installed my SuperCharger V2!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »

So the entire inlet is being held up by those two screws. If you want some better pictures and/or descriptions of how I drilled holes in my cover, I can try to provide some.

Why only two and not four?

Mostly because I didn't want to drill a huge hole in the middle of my cover. Plus I wasn't sure if the cabling from the inlet would fit if it wasn't so far forward. So as evidenced in this picture

Only two could be attached to my cover. It's really solid and I haven't worried about it at all, even with a cable plugged in to it.

@Shadow I'll try and post a few pictures and write up a little bit this weekend. The pictures probably won't be that great though. I've had to remove my cover so many times recently because water issues on my heated grips and I'm really over taking them off. I'll try my best though!

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »

Mostly because I didn't want to drill a huge hole in the middle of my cover. Plus I wasn't sure if the cabling from the inlet would fit if it wasn't so far forward.

Only two could be attached to my cover. It's really solid and I haven't worried about it at all, even with a cable plugged in to it.[/quote]

Oh I see. So you just drilled a hole wide enough for cabling to fit through. Now that you've finished your install, were cables long enough after all? I was planning to drill a hole slightly further back on the cover so that inlet can sits flush, somewhere in this area:

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »

Mostly because I didn't want to drill a huge hole in the middle of my cover. Plus I wasn't sure if the cabling from the inlet would fit if it wasn't so far forward.

Only two could be attached to my cover. It's really solid and I haven't worried about it at all, even with a cable plugged in to it.

Oh I see. So you just drilled a hole wide enough for cabling to fit through. Now that you've finished your install, were cables long enough after all? I was planning to drill a hole slightly further back on the cover so that inlet can sits flush, somewhere in this area:

[/quote]

Pretty much. Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. The cable is definitely long enough. But the problem is if there is enough clearance between the charger and the top of the cover to drill right through there. The charger (especially once bumped up to 6.6kW) takes a lot of the space, so I don't think you can actually fit it that far back.

Moving it this far forward makes it much easier to route the cable without stressing it too much.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

Pretty much. Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. The cable is definitely long enough. But the problem is if there is enough clearance between the charger and the top of the cover to drill right through there. The charger (especially once bumped up to 6.6kW) takes a lot of the space, so I don't think you can actually fit it that far back.

I wish there was a photo / dimensions of Charge Tank vs Power Tank. 6.6 unit is supposed to fit with Charge Tank cover just fine but I wonder how much space there actually is.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »

I wish there was a photo / dimensions of Charge Tank vs Power Tank. 6.6 unit is supposed to fit with Charge Tank cover just fine but I wonder how much space there actually is.
The j inlet should be forward as in the photos not further back.

The is a lot of space. Charge tank and Power tank are same size, one just has a spot for a Jplug in it already.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Swiebo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 08:32:16 PM »

It seems that the photos in the first post of this topic are gone. Can I find them somewhere else?

Grt,
Peter.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 02:51:21 AM »

It seems that the photos in the first post of this topic are gone. Can I find them somewhere else?

I can see them just fine, but I made sure to make private copies just in case.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Swiebo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »

My ISP was blocking the link to the photos, problem solved.

Grt,
Peter.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »

I see the SC has a pretty big fan.  Does the covered "tank" let enough air in to keep the SC cool?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2017, 04:28:14 AM »

I see the SC has a pretty big fan.  Does the covered "tank" let enough air in to keep the SC cool?

It really does. It's probably producing a lot less heat than the SCv1 at its full output and I've run SCv1 under the tank in hot weather acceptably well (although I put a shade up when I can). The air comes in between the plastics and the battery well enough.

I did make a tank plastic arrangement I can split up to open (honestly, how I found an unwelded power tank center piece I cannot really explain other than "that guy on the forum had one from a flea market find in San Jose"), which helps with airflow, but I mainly did it for testing and debugging access for the Supercharger.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »

Removed the tank bag cowl, and while I'm at it why not install some high power charging electronics in the winter snow weather!

The J-hooks for SCv2 have a locknut need 11mm socket. The photos from @Chicamungo are super helpful. I was given some spacers which don't seem to go to anything, and also I'm missing the fasteners from the J1772 inlet so I'll have to ask for some to be sent out.  Maybe the spacers are for the second 3.3kW module I'm agreed to receive when the upgrade to two 3.3kW modules is ready for customers...

I noticed at least some sharp metal corners where wires for the SCv2 install run next to, and this might need some guarding. One of the heat shrink seals from the charger to a corrugated plastic conduit was sliding off and not really doing the job, might tack it down with glue.  I don't even have the J1772 inlet mounted yet so I just put this stuff in there and get it out of the house. It's a two-beer install. At the moment I have an all-weather cover over the bike until I get a cowl I like to mount the J1772 inlet to.

I'm wondering how the heck three modules are supposed to fit under a cowl in that space 3x3.3kW?  The connectors used at install time are bulky and that makes me wonder.. would we see a need to have two J1772 inlets mounted to the cowl?

Also since we have that edison plug from the power split assembly, is there a safe way to wire that to the internal charger directly?   I would presume the Chargetank does something like this?

@Chicamungo was velcro included or is that something you came up with?  I might have some around here...

**edit**  Do I need J1772 mounting fasteners if I will mate it to a Chargetank cowl?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:01:07 AM by Shadow »

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »

Absolutely do not rewire anything to the onboard charger directly. We did this on purpose, for safety reasons, so a kid doesn't electrocute them selves by sticking their fingers into your standard plug. Also so you don't short two out of phase plugs. So definitely don't do that... Trust me I thought about it. 😀 .

I think it would be a really smart idea not to rewire anything, as a side note 😋 ...

Bolts on the way just Incase. I believe the charge tank cover comes with its own bolts. It's a bit more difficult to install yourself than just the power tank, maybe like an hour or two extra just to use that tank. The tank itself requires you to remove the "helmet lock" this is why I use the power tank myself. But Hollywood Electrics does the charge tank cover install because it looks super clean.

We're working on the fit of three under the tank now. Lots of ways to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »

Removed the tank bag cowl, and while I'm at it why not install some high power charging electronics in the winter snow weather!

The J-hooks for SCv2 have a locknut need 11mm socket. The photos from @Chicamungo are super helpful. I was given some spacers which don't seem to go to anything, and also I'm missing the fasteners from the J1772 inlet so I'll have to ask for some to be sent out.  Maybe the spacers are for the second 3.3kW module I'm agreed to receive when the upgrade to two 3.3kW modules is ready for customers...

I noticed at least some sharp metal corners where wires for the SCv2 install run next to, and this might need some guarding. One of the heat shrink seals from the charger to a corrugated plastic conduit was sliding off and not really doing the job, might tack it down with glue.  I don't even have the J1772 inlet mounted yet so I just put this stuff in there and get it out of the house. It's a two-beer install. At the moment I have an all-weather cover over the bike until I get a cowl I like to mount the J1772 inlet to.

I'm wondering how the heck three modules are supposed to fit under a cowl in that space 3x3.3kW?  The connectors used at install time are bulky and that makes me wonder.. would we see a need to have two J1772 inlets mounted to the cowl?

Also since we have that edison plug from the power split assembly, is there a safe way to wire that to the internal charger directly?   I would presume the Chargetank does something like this?

@Chicamungo was velcro included or is that something you came up with?  I might have some around here...

**edit**  Do I need J1772 mounting fasteners if I will mate it to a Chargetank cowl?

Shoot, I'm sorry for dropping the ball on explaining how I mounted it to my power tank. Do you still want some instructions on how I did that? Unfortunately I just looked and I can't get any good pictures without taking off my cover, which I don't feel like doing.

I already had the velcro myself. It's the kind with adhesive on either side of the velcro strips. But I also put dabs of super glue on the adhesive too just to make sure. I ended up moving my control unit from between the charger and that mysterious silver box, to just on top of the box. It allows the mounting bracket to hold in place better.

Unfortunately I have no experience with anything but the power tank, so I can't help beyond that.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »

...I already had the velcro myself. It's the kind with adhesive on either side of the velcro strips. But I also put dabs of super glue on the adhesive too just to make sure. I ended up moving my control unit from between the charger and that mysterious silver box, to just on top of the box. It allows the mounting bracket to hold in place better.
Unfortunately I have no experience with anything but the power tank, so I can't help beyond that.

I've decided to sell the unmodified cowls I have and order a Chargetank cowl, which has its own challenges of removing the stock lock and extra cost over the Powertank cowl. I'll try to document the stock lock relocation and SCv2 install to the Chargetank cowl when it happens as best I can.

Good tip about the SCv2 control box.  It's okay about leaving your cowl on I know it's tricky to work on those fasteners, though I say my Chapman 1916 toolkit made easy work of it and readily suggest every Zero owner to have one. When / if you want to, it would be nice to see more detail about your Powertank cowl modification.

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

...I already had the velcro myself. It's the kind with adhesive on either side of the velcro strips. But I also put dabs of super glue on the adhesive too just to make sure. I ended up moving my control unit from between the charger and that mysterious silver box, to just on top of the box. It allows the mounting bracket to hold in place better.

I've decided to sell the unmodified cowls I have and order a Chargetank cowl, which has its own challenges of removing the stock lock and extra cost over the Powertank cowl. I'll try to document the stock lock relocation and SCv2 install to the Chargetank cowl when it happens as best I can.

Good tip about the SCv2 control box.  It's okay about leaving your cowl on I know it's tricky to work on those fasteners, though I say my Chapman 1916 toolkit made easy work of it and readily suggest every Zero owner to have one. When / if you want to, it would be nice to see more detail about your Powertank cowl modification.

I've gotten to the point where it's easy but it's just time consuming removing it! I've probably removed it 10+ times now because of all the issues I had with waterproofing my heated grips. Once I get my 6.6kW charger, I'll take pictures of my power tank cover and post those. Unless someone needs help right away, then I can try and give some tips then.

I actually did move my lock to the side too. It's very simple, my own advice besides what's in the wiki is make sure you don't drill in to the plastic casing that's under the passenger seat. I ended up slightly clipping it with my drill. I didn't even know anything critical was under there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5