• April 23, 2024, 07:11:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Installed my SuperCharger V2!  (Read 9330 times)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
Installed my SuperCharger V2!
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »

So I got the charger fully installed tonight and I took some pictures of the different steps. Sorry for some of the pictures being poor quality, I was using a headlamp while working in my garage, so there's a little blown out. I'll try and explain some of the less clear steps.

So here's everything from the box all laid out inside.

So this is with the com unit velcro'd to the bike and the j-hooks in place in the frame of the bike, getting the mounting bracket ready.

Now the super charger is in place sitting in the bike power tank area.

The bracket is now in place and holding the charger tightly. Don't tighten it too much though, or you'll bend the bracket.

This is showing the connection to the auxiliary charging port under the seat. Hard to get a good shot of this, so it's blurry :(

This is the cables run up from the auxiliary port to the tank area. Note that you'll have to attach the connector yourself as it's so much easier to run the cables bare. It'll make sense when you receive your charger. (Note: don't plug in the port until after you put the connector on. Brandon informed me that that port holds voltage for a while after you first turn the bike off)

Here's all of the connectors hooked up (for the most part). As far as I can tell, it's extremely intuitive as they're color coded and you physically can't hook up the wrong connector to another one, so you shouldn't be able to mess it up. I'm holding the hookup for the on board charger.

So on the right side of the charger, I ran the connector for the on board and zip tied it the front of the charger for now.

Alright this picture is awful and I apologize. This is just to the side of the horn, it's a little difficult to reach, but it hides the connector well and tucks it away.

Installing the j-plug inlet on the power tank plastics probably won't be something most of you are interested in, so here's the final product. But I installed it backwards. :(

First charging session!

After ~15 minutes, not bad!

Info from the app right after connecting to the charging station. In the amount of time I was in the store for a few minutes, it eventually went up from 4kW charging to ~4.9kW charging. So don't be afraid that it doesn't hit the full charging level right away.

And just one final pic of my bike in most of her glory!

So that's about it! Now please be aware that what I've done may not be best practice. So I can't recommend you follow my steps. I'm just happy to give a little bit of insight in to what it all looks like! Brandon, if you see anything blatantly wrong, please let me know.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the install too, hope you all enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:33:37 PM by Chicamungo »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Installed my SuperCharger V2!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »

Nice! Some questions:
Did you get a shipper tracking number before delivery?
The V1 had a WiFi and web browser control; Does the V2 base system provide a WiFi hotspot?
Are you happy with modifying the PowerTank cowl instead of a no-modification ChargeTank cowl?
Can you say the order date and what dealership?

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »

Nice! Some questions:
Did you get a shipper tracking number before delivery?
The V1 had a WiFi and web browser control; Does the V2 base system provide a WiFi hotspot?
Are you happy with modifying the PowerTank cowl instead of a no-modification ChargeTank cowl?
Can you say the order date and what dealership?

Yes, I received an e-mail from diginow that was basically an invoice requesting payment for shipping. It had the tracking number on there. It seems like that may not happen to everyone though. I spoke to Hollywood electrics about this, and apparently there was a little confusion as to who was collecting the shipping. In the end, I was refunded the shipping cost from Hollywood Electrics and just paid diginow directly. So I can't say that my experience will be the same for everyone else moving forward. I did have to sign for the package though. UPS said it was a 17.5lbs weight and it's also expensive. So it's probably good they make sure it's in your hands rather than on a porch.

Honestly, I didn't check last night. It was cold, I was excited, and I admittedly had a beer about 20 minutes before (had to ride to my favorite brewery to get my SoC lowered!). I haven't heard anything about it, at this point my gut says it's not installed on mine. But I am definitely not informed on this subject.

I'm actually surprised at how decent this looks. While modifying the tank, I was certain that I was going to get the charge tank cover once I receive the 2nd unit to charge at 6.6kW. But now I'm not so certain. I'm fine with how things are right now, or will be once I fix my inlet orientation.

I ordered on the very first morning the forum thread went up saying we could order, so I called Hollywood Electrics. So back in late June?

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »

Nice write-up! Waiting for mine to arrive 8)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »

Very nice. I don't know how I missed this post until now. I hooked mine up externally for the time being. Does the onboard need to be plugged in from the outside, once it's installed? Like, we park, plug in a 1 foot cable into the female 110 port on the SC, then plug it into the external onboard charger port, then plug in the J1772?

Or, leave the bike keyed on, and plug just the SC in? We can turn it off once it starts charging via aux only, right?

Great photos, thank you for that!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »

Nice job!

No wifi is intended in the v2 units for now. Maybe at a later date for people interested in metrics etc. We will provide a BTLE/BT connection, but based on feedback from the v1 not everyone loved the wifi.

You can use the SC by itself by plugging in a Jplug while the bike is on and then turning it off once you see the green charging light. At any time you can plug the onboard in from the connection we supply or any other outlet.

You can also do as you described with the bike off plug in the onboard to the provided outlet, or any other outlet, and then plug in the Jplug. This should still give the onboard time to fire up before the SC initiates charging thus starting the bike. If you do it this way, just make sure to check that the bike is infact charging.

Again, awesome post and photos! Enjoy faster charging!

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »

Thanks for the great write up. I've got a PT so will be charging with charger off bike or in top box. Nice to see the total weight of your UPS package was 17.5lbs, that means the charger and cables don't weigh too much. I already ride overweight 2 up so adding extra weight is an issue for me.  Was planning to cut back on the donuts but won't have to now. <evil grin>

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »

Thanks for the great write up. I've got a PT so will be charging with charger off bike or in top box. Nice to see the total weight of your UPS package was 17.5lbs, that means the charger and cables don't weigh too much. I already ride overweight 2 up so adding extra weight is an issue for me.  Was planning to cut back on the donuts but won't have to now. <evil grin>

Just be aware that this is only for the 3.3kW. You have to almost double it if you're going for 6.6kW. With that said, I sincerely hope that it won't cut in to your donut intake. I would never wish that upon anyone!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 05:05:36 AM »

Just be aware that this is only for the 3.3kW. You have to almost double it if you're going for 6.6kW. With that said, I sincerely hope that it won't cut in to your donut intake. I would never wish that upon anyone!

Do you mind if I use your photos on the wiki? I intend to write up a version of the instructions and link this thread, but it'll help to have permission to use the photos directly (with some resizing).

Thanks!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:01 AM »

Do you mind if I use your photos on the wiki? I intend to write up a version of the instructions and link this thread, but it'll help to have permission to use the photos directly (with some resizing).

Thanks!

Feel free to use these pictures on the Wiki. If you want better quality ones to resize, let me know and I can send you the source pictures. These were resized on my computer and then uploaded to imgur. So I can't speak to their longevity towards being hosted.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »

Mine is going to be external for a while, if you need any detailed pics of it before install. Just let me know.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

Mine is going to be external for a while, if you need any detailed pics of it before install. Just let me know.

More pictures can't hurt, thanks. It's fine to email me (this username at gmail), say.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »

A package is shipping from DigiNow towards my general direction.

Time now to learn how to DSR in 10 feet of snow?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »

A package is shipping from DigiNow towards my general direction.

Time now to learn how to DSR in 10 feet of snow?
Isn't that what those DS tyres are for?? Just get some studs like Aerostitch used on the FX 😉. How awesome would a video of a DSR on the slops be? Launch off some ski jumps? Amirite?

Congratulations! The wait will be worth it 😀 Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »

What's that little box thing on the left side handle bar?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5