• April 27, 2024, 04:31:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buying decision - help needed  (Read 2155 times)

scorpion32

• View Profile
Buying decision - help needed
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »

So, finally my lovely wife agreed (at least temporarily) that i have to buy a bike.  8)

Now i have to decide between a brand new 2017 DS or a used (500km) DSR 2016.

I would for sure go for the DSR, but there is this litte cable (break cable) making me mad blocking the cockpit display.
Cannot understand why the 2016 S and SR do not having this cable, but the 2016 DS and DSR have it. Looks really annoying.

What do you think? Is the cable annoying on the long run? Can this be fixed somehow?

Thanks for your comments. I attached 2 pics showing the view on the display with the cable (from DS 2016) and without cable (DS 2017).

Also : Has anybody experience with the new DS 2017. I wonder how the 19% plus torque feels compared to the 144NM of the DSR.

Happy new year to all of you.

Greetings
Scorpion

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:27:02 PM by scorpion32 »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Buying decision - help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »

Well first I think there was something about rerouting the cable in the unofficial manual but beyond that do you plan on much off road use?  The 2017 has a wider (should be stronger) belt and a splined motor shaft replacing the "keyed" shaft of older models.  The 17's ability to upgrade the firmware from the app saves on dealer trips.  So its kind of down to higher torque and less or same price for a 16 DSR.
You know if the ummph is a must for you or not.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »

Thx for the reply NEW2elec,

to be honest i don´t plan to drive off-road at all. It´s just the more comfy riding position that lets me go for  a DS or DSR.
And probably the 144 NM torque on a 2016 model is more fun than the "just" 110NM on a 2017 DS.

The firmware update is a good point to mention. How many updates can be expected in a year and how much time does the dealer need to update?
I don´t worry to drive to the dealer, but would worry if the update would take a few days or costs a lot. Any numbers on that?

I will study the unofficial manual for the rerouting of the beak cable - thx for the hint.

Best
Scorpion

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »

I have had the 2015 DS with the cable 'blocking' the display.
While riding, i found it no issue at all, because it only blocks your sight towards  the ignition.

Sometimes the cable annoyed me a bit while fidling with the key and ignition. Actually it was a minor detail.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »

Thx for sharing your experience with this issue, buutvrij for life.
Good to know that it does not disturb while driving and looking at the display.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »

The updates on mine were all under warranty so I don't know what the cost would be.  The time to install the update is less than an hour I'm sure but it depends on when they "get to the bike" as to when that hour starts.
I went for the DS for the more comfortable ride too.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:17:48 PM »

I don't have the DSR, but the FXS.  This also has the brake cable in the way.  In my case, it blocked part of the display also and ended up really annoying me.  Fortunately, it was pretty easy for me to adjust the cable so that it was no longer in the way.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:44:49 AM »

I don't have the DSR, but the FXS.  This also has the brake cable in the way.  In my case, it blocked part of the display also and ended up really annoying me.  Fortunately, it was pretty easy for me to adjust the cable so that it was no longer in the way.

How did you manage to do this? Do you have a picture or something? Did you have to take out the break fluid? Want to change that on my FXS, too.

Thanks.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »

I think we need someone with a 2017 to take some pictures and figure out just what Zero changed and maybe some of us with older bikes can retrofit them.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:33:22 AM »

How did you manage to do this? Do you have a picture or something? Did you have to take out the break fluid? Want to change that on my FXS, too.

Thanks.

I have very little in the way of tools or mechanical ability, and it was pretty easy.  Details here.  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6144.msg48273#msg48273  No need to remove brake fluid.

2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:28 AM »

I'll forewarn you ahead of time . . . If you ride a 2017 DSR or SR, you'll be ruined for life, there is no turning back - the power and torque compared to a 2016 is like another bike all together.

I bought my 17 DSR only because it was electric and really not for the speed - however I wanted the latest refinements, i.e. Battery - New Motor - Big Ass Controller, etc. Rule of thumb on any electrics be it cars or bikes, you always want to get the latest technology!

The speed on my DSR is unbelievable, my friend has a Augusta Dragster RR and my Zero takes him out. While my racing days are pretty much over - lately I found a new enjoyment with this bike since it will out-run possibly 90% of the hot ICE rocket street bikes.  I live 20 minutes from Suches, Ga, so this is bike country around here. When you pull up alone side them, most of the time they start snickering and smiling like most Harley guys do to other bikes. One smart ass even asked me where were my mufflers?  What's funny is when the light turns green, or in the twisties here in Georgia, they never see it coming . . . while their grabbing gears, clutching and shifting and looking for me in their mirrors, my DSR rips right by them. LOL

Here's a few images of my "Sleeper" Good luck on your new venture!

Mike

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »

Ok guys, just about to order the "DSR Anniversary Edition 2016".
It already has the "hidden break wire" feature and comes with a charge tank. Looks very nicely at the dealers shop.

Does anybody know if the body parts of the anniversary edition are "just painted" or molded in?
On the internet the only info about this is "premium metallic paint". Whatever that means.

The dealer had no answer to that question.

Thanks
Scorpion
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:17:33 PM by scorpion32 »

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »

Sounds like it has the 2017 paint. But, wouldn't you rather get a 2017 DSR and add a DigiNow Supercharger to it? Cheaper and faster than the built in one on the 2016 Special Edition.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

scorpion32

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »

Sounds like it has the 2017 paint. But, wouldn't you rather get a 2017 DSR and add a DigiNow Supercharger to it? Cheaper and faster than the built in one on the 2016 Special Edition.

Yes, good point. I was considering this in sleepless nights also. However i live in Germany and so far the DigiNow Charger is not available here (or anywhere ?) and it´s also unclear if the zero warranty is still valid if one is using such a charger. Did not find a statement from Zero about this. Not to mention the german law: not sure if the DigiNow charger gets CE approval. So there are still some uncertainties. I would like to see that the 2018 Zeros are equipped with the DigiNow charger or at least with its capabilities. In the meantime i can live with the 2.9 hours until 95% is charged. But i will report about my charging experience with the charge tank. Cannot wait until the bike is in my garage and that snow is melting away.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 06:16:40 AM »

When I bought my Zero I was deciding about a cheaper ex demo 2014 S or a new 2015 SR. In the end I wanted the extra power for those occasions at the lights. Also my wife rides with me (on the back) so the extra power and higher temp tolerance for hot weather was a tick for the RS. I don't often ride over 100km/h but I know I can do this and more on a 40 degree C day no problem.
I bought the SR and absolutely love it. In hind sight the 2015 was much more reliable than a 2014. 2016 is even better to the point where I don't think reliability comes into the equation any more.
For me I would go the DSR...power!
Pages: [1] 2