• March 29, 2024, 03:21:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Stolen Zero] UK Zero Owners Alert  (Read 3438 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: [Stolen Zero] UK Zero Owners Alert
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »

I have always thought that a dirty motorcycle cover with a cable lock tying the bottom edges together (to keep the homeless from stealing the cover) was the best deterrent.  Out of sight, out of mind.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »

"Was the bike powered on to be ridden away?"
Unknown, my gut feeling is yes it was.

>insert loud pipes argument here.<

Download Logs.

It may help timestamp the theft plus provide ride time to recovery event.    Might be able to work out some radius information.

Oh yes I fully intend to do this, I have my diginow dongle on stand by.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 11:15:59 PM »

I hope you get it back in good condition Justin. I'm  surprised this happened because you're quite nicely tucked away.  There can't be much traffic passing your house.  A lesson for us all.  I hope your festivities make up for it over the next couple of weeks.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 04:21:20 AM »

A security camera or two is a good thing to have. It is surprising how much is "happening" around my house. From raccoons and other city wild life doing their thing, to bad neighbors, to trucks damaging the property trying to make too tight a turn, to confirming deliveries... Cameras are a good deterrent if visible too, but good to have some concealed ones as well.
'15 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 06:57:07 AM »

I always wanted to build the security system my grandfather told me about. He wired up a Model T ignition coil to his car's body with a switch hidden under the fender. ZZZZZAPP!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »

The best deterrent I ever heard of was a tripwire and a blank shotgun cartridge set off by a mousetrap-like firing pin. The idea was it would make a loud enough noise to frighten the thief and wake you up.

The magazine reviewing it finished with "of course there's nothing actually stopping you replacing the blank with a real cartridge"! Maybe a little too harsh and potentially problematic when you're half asleep heading off to work.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »

Yeah, I've seen that idea recommended over at Bike Chat* as well.

(*aka the hive of scum and villany) :D
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »

I've seen my bike.
I could be worse, but its taken a fair bit of cosmetic damage around the lower fairings. :(

Least it still works.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »

Does your insurance cover the damage, also the ignitiondamage?
Mine is not insured for theft, but at home, its behind two locked doors, and when on vacation also two additional locks on the bike.  Hopefully that's to hard for those assholes.

The shotgun idea won't work in the netherlands because civillians are not alowed to have any type of gun.
An american once asked me "so can't shoot somebody of your propertie??"  Uhhh, no.
It's even worse. If you hit an uninvited guest in your house very very hard, you might end up in jail.

The good thing is, there's almost close to zero gunviolence in my country.
Anyway, your intention is, i suppose, to keep the bike Justin?

pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2016, 02:50:26 AM »

The insurance could cover the damage, but I suspect the excess would make it not worth claiming.

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »

If theft had been reported to insurance company, you need to make sure that it is completely removed ( make sure to get it in writing ) if you do not wish to follow through.
Several years ago, my Buick Grand National got stolen from work. I contacted police and insurance company. Car was found the next day in an area where thieves took stolen
cars to "cool off". Minimal damage, so, rescinded claim. A few years later, I was getting a quote from a different company and took a hit because of previous claim. I told
them that there was nothing paid out as I had rescinded the claim. I was told that since the claim had been made, it was still on the record, regardless of lack of payment.
I don't know about where YOU are, but in U.S., they will do anything possible to ding the consumer.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 05:17:04 AM »

Yep, I think that's universal. It's kind of you to share your story KrazyEd, I wouldn't have thought to check if it happened to me.

I don't suppose the police tried to lift any prints from the bike? Probably too much effort for them unless it's a very serious crime or the bike belonged to one of their mates.

It might be worth having a word with a friendly bike shop and getting them to give it the once over. There's a police report that mentions damage etc. It could be that there's a problem with the frame that would make it a write off. If you can swallow making a claim, there might still be chance to get a shiny new 2017 model out of this situation. Just a thought. In that case, it could also be worth buying the bike off the insurance company and keeping the parts. Lots of fun projects to be had with the battery, motor etc.

Or just keep life simple and treat yourself to some more panels and a paint job. Something creative and medieval perhaps? That could be fun.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »

My experience is you don't WANT your vehicle parked "out of sight."  That just means no one will see the thieves trying to steal it.  Park it in plain sight in a heavily (pedestrian) trafficked area to discourage theft.  If there are too many witnesses, thieves are less likely to make the attempt.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 02:05:40 AM »

My experience is you don't WANT your vehicle parked "out of sight."  That just means no one will see the thieves trying to steal it.  Park it in plain sight in a heavily (pedestrian) trafficked area to discourage theft.  If there are too many witnesses, thieves are less likely to make the attempt.

Yeah, if there are people around, the thief doesn't know they aren't the owner or know the owner.  Thieves do not want witnesses.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »

Yeah, if there are people around, the thief doesn't know they aren't the owner or know the owner.  Thieves do not want witnesses.

In theory anyway...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8
perspective, use it
Pages: 1 [2] 3