• April 26, 2024, 08:17:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Stolen Zero] UK Zero Owners Alert  (Read 3480 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
[Stolen Zero] UK Zero Owners Alert
« on: December 20, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »

My Zero 2015 SR "BX65MZJ" has been stolen, I have no illusions that it's not either headed for a container port, or being broken up to sell.

If you spot a "breaker" selling SR2015 parts in the UK, please let me know.

Thanks.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Fred

• View Profile
Re: [Stolen Zero] UK Zero Owners Alert
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »

Wow. Rough news. I assumed that they wouldn't be a particular target for thieves. Maybe as it's as easy to ride as a scooter some kids might have taken it for a joy ride and it'll turn up abandoned somewhere.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »

Wow. Rough news. I assumed that they wouldn't be a particular target for thieves. Maybe as it's as easy to ride as a scooter some kids might have taken it for a joy ride and it'll turn up abandoned somewhere.

Dunno, a neighbor spotted a van searching for something the day before. The locks were cut clean off and the ignition barrel removed (I found that lying on my drive)
Speaks to me of a more considered job.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »

I'm afraid I have to agree with you then. It's crap, isn't it? I remember finding just the rear wheel of my Ducati 748 chained to a lamp post one morning. I hope your insurance will cover a shiny new 2017.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »

I'm afraid I have to agree with you then. It's crap, isn't it? I remember finding just the rear wheel of my Ducati 748 chained to a lamp post one morning. I hope your insurance will cover a shiny new 2017.

Me too...
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Ser15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »

I am very sorry for what you are saying and I hope you can find your zero.
Install a gps like this in my zero sr 2014, as it has battery can run up to 7 days. When you turn on motorcycle charge the battery again. I know it's not infallible but I hope it helps if they ever steal it

Enviado desde mi 6045B mediante Tapatalk

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:50:34 AM »

Damn, sorry to hear that Justin. I wonder if the thieves will know what to do with an electric bike?

I hope to hear that you've managed to get the 2017 model as a replacement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »

Good news:
The Police have just found the bike!
I've not seen it yet, so I don't know what condition it's in.

If the bike is ok, I might use this opportunity to alter its security slightly. Maybe some sort of keyless ignition perhaps.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »

Great news. Keyless ignition sounds cool. I've not even got my FXS yet, but might be tempted to try something that works with the NFC tag implanted in my hand.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »

Good news:
The Police have just found the bike!
I've not seen it yet, so I don't know what condition it's in.

If the bike is ok, I might use this opportunity to alter its security slightly. Maybe some sort of keyless ignition perhaps.

That is terrific news! Unfortunately rare, at least here in the States. Maybe somebody just took it for a joyride.

Keyless ignition has been discussed, but it would be difficult given that there's no "always on" 12V power on our bikes...I'm sure it could be done if you want to bad enough. You can search for it in the archives.

I've always thought it would be very clever to reverse wire the kill switch, so it says "on" when the bike won't run. Leave it in the "on" position when you park it, and a thief would never figure out that he needs to put it in the "off" position to ride!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 02:59:01 AM »

Possibly a side benefit of electric. They ran out of power and couldn't figure out what to do next.
I remember hearing about a 56 Chevrolet being stolen. The people who stole it stopped for gas,
paid for it, then drove off when the thieves couldn't figure out how to put gas in it. The car was
found unharmed a few blocks from the station.   

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »

I'm interested to know what tools were used during the theft and how they went about it. You mentioned the lock core was damaged and discarded, would you be willing to share pictures and facts about the case?

Was the bike powered on to be ridden away?
Was the lock core targeted to defeat the steering column lock and load the bike into another vehicle?
Would a parking camera or location transmitter have allowed more quickly to identify the disturbance to and recovery of the bike?
Would a factory parking brake or locking the kickstand in the down position have been an impediment?

Wish it hadn't of happened to your bike, though I hope to learn something from this.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

What I know...

The locks core was pulled out by driving a screw into it, and then I guess they just yanked it right out. I gather its really not uncommon for this sort of attack on an ignition lock.

The bike was recovered, when, from what I gather, the Police spotted it on the road (all police traffic vehicles are fitted with plate readers connected live to the national database) and gave chase, the suspect abandoned my bike and legged it. Sadly the scum got away.

I think they knew what they were after as they nicked the charge cable off the wall as well.

"Was the bike powered on to be ridden away?"
Unknown, my gut feeling is yes it was.

"Was the lock core targeted to defeat the steering column lock and load the bike into another vehicle?"
Its possible, and was my first thought.

"Would a parking camera or location transmitter have allowed more quickly to identify the disturbance to and recovery of the bike?"
Not in this case no. I'm thinking some fairly loud alarms would have been more useful though.

"Would a factory parking brake or locking the kickstand in the down position have been an impediment?"
Not sure, my gut feeling is thieves would break that too.

The main faults from my POV is:

My bike was visible from the street.
My chain lock was good, but not good enough against bolt cutters.

Both of these will now be addressed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:47:42 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »

"Was the bike powered on to be ridden away?"
Unknown, my gut feeling is yes it was.

>insert loud pipes argument here.<

Download Logs.

It may help timestamp the theft plus provide ride time to recovery event.    Might be able to work out some radius information.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »

You can see Jim's anti theft idea on his old MX, just skip up to about the 6:50 mark and watch till the end.  Glad you got your bike back.

! No longer available
Pages: [1] 2 3