• March 28, 2024, 04:30:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: STACYC Stability Cycle - Kids electric option  (Read 1210 times)

acacia1731

• View Profile
STACYC Stability Cycle - Kids electric option
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:06:42 AM »

Here's another youth option for kids.  It's basically a strider bike (low, with no pedals) that has an electric motor too.  It's not cheap ($600-$700), but it looks like a great way to get your 3-8 year old on a motorized ride!

https://stacycstabilitycycle.com/

'Your child can learn to push, balance, and coast in the Non-powered mode. Graduate them to the powered mode (the holy grail of fun) as they show proficient use and understanding of the brake and the ability to coast and brake while standing. Start them with a speed similar to what they can push the non-powered version at, and they learn the use of the twist throttle, and a long coast turn into a constant use of throttle and giggles."

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:41:13 PM by acacia1731 »
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: STACYC Stability Cycle - Kids electric option
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »

With my 5 year old resisting bicycle training, I decided to give this a shot.  Review below:

Basic premise:  A bicycle frame with an electric motor, 16" wheels, a low seat, no pedals (like a "strider" bike), and a small footrest platform instead of pegs.

Design/Quality:  Quality seems good - with no flimsy or cheap looking parts.  Everything worked exactly as advertised right out of the box.  The throttle feels good, just like an adult motorcycle (although my 5 year old did mention some wrist fatigue after about 20 minutes).  The electric drive train functions exactly as I expected and feels robust.  It does produce a notable noise/whir, sounding almost like those electric scooter boards that kids sometimes use to zip around the neighborhood.  The rear (only) brake is hand operated, but it was very difficult for my 5 year old to pull adequately.  The brake design is my only real complaint so far.

First ride impression:  I was blown away - in less than 5 minutes, my 5 year old son was able to ride the STACYC on two wheels, despite not yet being able to ride a bicycle.  He rode for about 30 minutes today and LOVED it.  The low seat seemed to make him feel much more comfortable than he is on his 16" bicycle.  In fact, he initially dragged his feet like outriggers for slowing and stopping, but this also caused him to get unstable.  Eventually he started picking up his feet and using the brake, but it was a struggle most of the time due to the high lever force.  We kept it on the lowest speed, which was roughly an adult jogging pace.

Overall:  It looks more like a bike, but our son is VERY happy with his new "electric motorcycle."  With the exception of the brake, the design is awesome.  Comparing it to other electric kids vehicles, and considering it's made in Taiwan, the $700 price does seem high.  I expect the price could be cut in half once the early adopter phase passes, or if it gets some competition, but my kids won't stop growing until then so I decided not to wait.  Happy so far - and eager to see if this helps him master a pedal bike in the near future (and bigger motorcycles eventually).

Side note:  The company has posted videos of their kids jumping and doing tricks on the STACYC, but the manual says "These stability cycles are not made to withstand abuse... such as jumping... or any other type of stunts.".  The lawyers have apparently had their say, but I know what I would have tried as a kid!
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive
Pages: [1]