• April 27, 2024, 04:14:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cold Weather Riding & Level 2 Charging  (Read 613 times)

Delnari

• View Profile
Cold Weather Riding & Level 2 Charging
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »

The weather in the Northeast is starting to get colder out.  Last couple of mornings during my 17 mile commute into work have seen temperatures near freezing with expected highs at the end of the week being only in the 20-30 F range.  When leaving my home I'm spending about 22% of my full charge running in full power mode with 40% off throttle & 100% braking regen modes.  Had the Level 2 Charge Tank installed last week on my '17 SR and it really has shorten the recharge time down.  This morning my recharge was 36 minutes.

Would like to only charge at work so I don't spend the pennies and only plug in the mornings at the work garage.  Given the cold weather, would I be hurting the battery by letting it sit over night off the charger while be keep in a 50-60 F degree garage over night?  I read Zero and others recommend putting the bike on a charger when parked.  Just don't know if going 24 hours between charges, even with cold weather riding would affect the battery life.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:24:56 PM by Delnari »

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Cold Weather Riding & Level 2 Charging
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »

The overnight heating assistance from the 20% charging is long gone by morning as it finishes charging in the first 2 hours when you plug it in.  Nothing to worry about, sure charge at work.  If the work charger was down it sounds like you have enough to get back home anyway.

The only thing is power output is reduced when cold the lower the pack SOC % is at, so as long as you don't encounter any reduction in power you are unhappy with (and by 60% you should be ok) then that is the only potential downside, but much more noticeable on an FX in winter with half the battery capacity.

Although I'm saying it's ok, keep in mind at about 20 cents per charge for you if you are refiling 2 kWh, over 20 work days a month, you will be saving about $4.00.  Just sayin. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:52:03 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Delnari

• View Profile
Re: Cold Weather Riding & Level 2 Charging
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »

I know plugging in at night is not going to cost me any real money over the course of a year.  It is nice not having to think about plugging in at home.  I have an EV car that is getting charged from time to time from the same 110V outlet in the home garage and we cannot both connect at the same time.  If this is always available for the car that is a plus.

Yesterday I left work with a 100% charge with temperatures around 42 F degrees.  About 14 miles is all high speed HOV and had a little too much fun racing down the highway with a BMW K1600GT and R1200RT.  When I got home my charge was at 67% instead of the normal 77%.  When I plugged in at work this morning I was down to 38% with outside temps near 35 F degrees (no heated gear).  The charger status came up with 2 hours 33 minutes to fully charge.  The longest time I have seen to date with the Level 2 plug.
Pages: [1]