• March 28, 2024, 02:53:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Parts and Accessories wish list  (Read 4306 times)

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
Re: Parts and Accessories wish list
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »

I know that it would not be difficult to implement, and really it just seems lazy at this point to exclude it.

Seriously? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I heard a discussion with an Alta motors employee and they said it wasn't a big deal.  I'm not an electrical engineer so whatever. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »

Helmet lock, or at least a small metal loop where I can supply my own small lock.

Heated grips. Information and options for this major feature are sorely lacking.

Alternate brake lever(s), especially shorter or more standard.

Retractable overhead charging cable system.

Better rain protection on the FX; bottom of my pant legs get soaked really quick; stream of water drops kicks up over front fender.

Service manual(!)

Microfiche parts ordering (at minimum as a dealer site add-on).

Higher FX seat; bike quite a bit too short for tall person (me).

Brake squeal fix.

All LED lighting. Got a LED headlight (kind with fan) on my 500EXC, and it is unbelievable!

Integrated V/A/W charging display (same info Kill-a-watt gives).

Belt guard, right where rocks would get sucked in and snap belt.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »

Suggestions:

Many OEM Zero Motorcycle accessories have now better options from 3rd party USA manufacturers. This is a good thing I think and should be encouraged as @BrianTRice says.

1. Chapman Mfg makes a mini ratcheting tool I've reviewed previously. It includes most but not all bits useful for working on Zero Motorcycles vehicles. If a fastener up to 200lb-in torque specification doesn't have a Chapman Mfg bit available then it doesn't belong on a bike, or alternatively you should get right on that and tell Chapman Mfg to make those bits!

2. Official technical guidelines for 3rd-party charging equipment manufacturers (namely Diginow and their Supercharger V2).  Doing all of the certification to get the ChargeTank compliant with a worldwide market is fine, but why not off-load this huge time-and-resource sink in the future to someone else?  Publish the guidelines for a 3rd party to make charge equipment that is complaint and so Zero Motorcycles can focus on the good stuff like a battery and firmware that can safely charge at 1C rate and greater.

3. Happy Trails makes a SU-series side rack for Zero Motorcycles bikes that is better built and less expensive than the OEM rack, plus it is made in USA.  I guess you have to offer that OEM one to make bikes that are police fleet ready but... all it takes is lending a bike to some manufacturers and we riders get better options.  The Zero OEM top rack is useful for a small to medium top case but not very sturdy to do things like carry a mountain bicycle on the back.

4. Keyless ignition kit. Possibly this is for future models. Security focused so you can access the bike with a key or even powered on but it won't go anywhere until authorized. Might not actually have to develop this module just publish the specification.

5. Reverse "gear" or even just a mode where you can keep the bike powered on but the controller is not energizing the motor;  that small difference between the bike being off and the bike being on but kill switch engaged is enough to give a difficult time backing up with leg power over curbs and drainage ditches or back up the hill.

6. Easy options for crash protection;   more 3rd party options for brake levers, slider spools, crash bars, hand guards

7. Service Manuals?  What about for out-of-warranty bikes at the least, can start with that.

Kudos on re-routing the (turn-signal obscuring) brake lines for 2017+ bikes. Can we get advise how to correctly fix this for 2016 bikes?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

Does anyone have a "wish list" of sorts for OEM/AFTERMARKET parts and accessories? LET ME MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!
Great stuff! I need to put together a survey monkey or something similar so I can get this on a spreadsheet!

Here's a modest set of requests:
  • Update the store with the smaller items that have been created recently, like the parking brake and the TechSpec tank grip pads.

Zero finally published their TechSpec tank grip options!

S/SR: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=240&zenid=i1nsi3edu8bl9fpqntb7351ui2
DS/DSR: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=241&zenid=i1nsi3edu8bl9fpqntb7351ui2

Indexed on the wiki: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Tank_Grips
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »

Great stuff! I need to put together a survey monkey or something similar so I can get this on a spreadsheet!

REVERSE?

Harlan knows how to provide a reverse gear. ;)  It's really really cool.

• Update the store with the smaller items that have been created recently, like the parking brake and the TechSpec tank grip pads.
  • For the front brake lever, ASV's unbreakable levers are amazing and seems like a good third-party support vendor. They're in SoCal, not far.
  • A small group of ABS molded plastic accessories for bike protection would be nice: lower belt guard, rear tire hugger, and a DS/DSR/FX option for a tire-conforming front fender.
  • Rubber pads for the DS/DSR/FX footrests would be hopefully a cheap way to reduce wear on commuter riding boots when not offroad.
  • More options for securely lifting the bike - a way to mount spools to the rear swingarm, say.
  • Oh, a centerstand.
  • Here's the crazy adventure-specific request: ask your Seattle dealer to lend a DSR to AltRider or Touratech's offices for a bunch of fitments. AltRider is might be easier/cheaper to market?
Of course, you can read http://www.zeromanual.com and see that some fitments are established or actively scavenged and others are missing; if there's a way for Zero to help us out with this without crossing the line on official endorsements, it would be welcome.
Right up my alley, a centerstand would be really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 11:26:49 PM »

Does anyone have a "wish list" of sorts for OEM/AFTERMARKET parts and accessories? LET ME MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!

Zero finally published their TechSpec tank grip options!

S/SR: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=240&zenid=i1nsi3edu8bl9fpqntb7351ui2
DS/DSR: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=241&zenid=i1nsi3edu8bl9fpqntb7351ui2

Indexed on the wiki: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Tank_Grips

They are charging a whopping 77€ ($86) for that...

It's as insane as their sticker that you can order with the lower fairings. 25€ ($28) for a sticker that is smaller than one of my fingers that says 'crafted in California'...

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »

They are charging a whopping 77€ ($86) for that...

It's as insane as their sticker that you can order with the lower fairings. 25€ ($28) for a sticker that is smaller than one of my fingers that says 'crafted in California'...
$100 for anything OEM seems pretty much the baseline, the business must go through dealerships and they take a cut. If you're a dealer then you might get a special price.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 12:07:58 AM »

The Zero tank pad prices match TechSpec prices. No one is bilking you.

http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/suzuki.html

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:46 AM »

I second the center stand!

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:48 AM »

Left hand rear brake.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »

Thanks for the information! I totally wasn't aware of this (premium?) price.
Is that a common price level for tank grips? If you buy standard generic tank grips they are rarely priced above 30€ here in Germany.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »

Thanks for the information! I totally wasn't aware of this (premium?) price.
Is that a common price level for tank grips? If you buy standard generic tank grips they are rarely priced above 30€ here in Germany.

It looks to me that they are providing a set of at least 5 individual tank grip pads for those prices on the featured bikes.  I bought a set of three pads from this company, two knee pads and one belly pad, for my BMW RS and I believe the price was closer to $50. Each pad set appears to be custom made for each model motorcycle, so that, plus low volume, likely keeps the price high.  Perhaps they offer a set of generic pads that are less expensive.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »

Yes, you can buy generic pads that are cheaper, but they're not that much cheaper. I had some cut up to fit my DSR for a while.

http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/general-sheets.html

The material doesn't appear inherently cheap to produce. You can always get a different material and cut it to size for less cost. The tradeoff with a tank grip pad is how well it works with your motorcycle gear (does it chafe your jeans or riding pants; is the grip usable) and how long does it last.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »

Left hand rear brake.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
I'll second that, would be awesome.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 04:48:47 AM »

-Additional driving lights
-Brake light kit for Givi top case
-Heated grips or gloves
-Semi-aero front and rear fairing
-CHAdeMO DC fast charging
or
-1 Hour fast charger integrated into the tank for $2000 or less.
-Adapter charging plugs that are <$100 a piece
I'll like the AUX charging port to be placed some where else, as its a pain in the butt to reach when you have sidecases mounted, and the fact that you have to sit down on your knees to see the darn thing, not to mention when your fingers are cold, its night and raining. GRRRR

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5