• April 26, 2024, 01:08:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tire change - Valve stem size - dynabeads  (Read 733 times)

MorbidBBQ

• View Profile
Tire change - Valve stem size - dynabeads
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:37:25 AM »

So it's time for me to do the most common maintenance on my 2013 s.  New tires.  I'm swapping out my Pirelli sport demons for avons.  They only lasted 4000 miles.

I've got a leak (think it's my valve stems).  Im looking up replacing them, but I'm not sure about the right size.  Anybody know what it is?

Also, since I'm swapping them out, is there anything else people have liked?  90 bend, or low tire pressure indicator?

Ok, 1 more thing on tires.  DynaBeads for balancing.  I bought dyna beads before, lost them, I read I can use plastic airsoft BBS.  Anybody have tips or tricks?  Why not metal BBs?
2013 Zero S
2007 Yamaha FZ6
2005 Ninja 250
1983 Honda CSR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Tire change - Valve stem size - dynabeads
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:08:36 AM »

I can't answer your actual question but I saw you said your tires only lasted 4000 miles.
I've got over 8000 on two sets of Kendas for like $120 for 2 on my DS.  I don't ride that hard but I was in a real bad rain storm back in the summer and was surprised at how well they gripped (at a slow pace) no fishtailing at all.
 For what it's worth they put tubes in the tires when I got the second set, which I didn't ask for, but they have worked great and lost almost no air at about 33PSI in both tires.
I went with them because of cost but I've had no trouble with them.

MorbidBBQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »

It looks like the valve stem just needed to be tightened.

I brought the tire top a shop to get mounted and balanced for$20 because... Pain in the ass to break the bead with my ghetto rigged 2x4s.

Now the not fun part, running a new belt through.

After the tire is off, take the rear fender/tire splash guard off.  4 easy screws.

Then with a pair of small vice grips, hold the nut to take the rear piece off.  If you think this is rough wait until you do the other side.  On the right side you need to take the brake pedal off first, and it's an even tighter fit to hold the nut and keep it from slipping.

When that is done, you can slip the new belt on.

Now in order to put it back together you need to recompress the rear shock.

I don't have the shock adjustment tool, bit I should have it tomorrow.  Hopefully I can put it back together then.
2013 Zero S
2007 Yamaha FZ6
2005 Ninja 250
1983 Honda CSR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »

Now the not fun part, running a new belt through.

After the tire is off, take the rear fender/tire splash guard off.  4 easy screws.

Then with a pair of small vice grips, hold the nut to take the rear piece off.  If you think this is rough wait until you do the other side.  On the right side you need to take the brake pedal off first, and it's an even tighter fit to hold the nut and keep it from slipping.

When that is done, you can slip the new belt on.

Now in order to put it back together you need to recompress the rear shock.

I don't have the shock adjustment tool, bit I should have it tomorrow.  Hopefully I can put it back together then.

Interesting write-up. It sounds like you may have figured out some frustrations with this. Could you comment on the existing wiki write-up and point out maybe what it could do better at?

Ref. http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Belt_Replacement
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]