• March 29, 2024, 07:49:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2017 Locking Tank Truck compatible with previous model years?  (Read 954 times)

dc5dd

• View Profile
2017 Locking Tank Truck compatible with previous model years?
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »

Does anyone know if the 2017 locking tank is compatible with the previous model years?  This will probably be a better question for the Zero reps that cruise this forum.  And also if the lock and start key are the same. 

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: 2017 Locking Tank Truck compatible with previous model years?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:45:28 AM »

They showed the bike key and storage lock are the same on the 2017.  I guess they could send one with it's own key if it just locks into the helmet lock above the tank, the way the old one did.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:54:53 AM »

They showed the bike key and storage lock are the same on the 2017.  I guess they could send one with it's own key if it just locks into the helmet lock above the tank, the way the old one did.

I don't think it does.  If you look at the photos, the new lid locks towards the rear and is hinged at the front. The old lock was in the front.  The CF tank cover sold by Hollywood Electrics does use the lock on the earlier models, though, as it locks at the front and is hinged at the rear.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:56:24 AM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »

I have a 2014 SR figure it should at lease have to remove the soft/semi-rigid tank bag and the rigid plastic under that to install the 2017 locking tank.

Pulsar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 05:50:56 PM »

Does anyone know the cost for a locking tank...(and if will fit in a 2016 model) ?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »

Two things to consider:  They would have to replace the ENTIRE tank, it's not just putting the locking cover on the existing tank.

The new plastics are painted, not molded in.  The color will most likely NOT be a perfect match for your existing plastics (especially if they've faded a bit over time).

Considering that replacing the entire tank will probably NOT be inexpensive, I'm guessing that $300.00 carbon-fiber cover from Hollywood Electrics isn't that bad a deal after all.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »

Yes, the new locking tank is compatible on old models.  I have one.  Search my pictures in the threads.
Yes, you have to replace the entire tank.
If you buy a new bike, the keys are the same. If you upgrade, the keys are different unless you replace the ignition hardware (big job/ more expensive)
If you upgrade you have to remove the helmet lock, which is difficult and replace a hidden ground strap.  Directions are in the "unofficial manual"

Funny story, the locking lid has a helmet lock feature, but the funny part is like the original helmet lock -it does not work!  Not all helmet straps are long enough to reach, which is the same problem with the original helmet lock!  I would be kicking myself if I designed that.   

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »

If you upgrade, the keys are different unless you...

..get it rekeyed by a locksmith.

eswimm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 04:33:00 AM »

I replaced the tank, front fender and the upper half of the tail.  The lower half of the tail is a ton more work to replace and it is barely visible and hardly faded anyway.

You'll want to replace all 3, since the color is definitely different if the original plastics have faded at all.

I cut off the old lock with a dremel, since getting to the bolts from below seemed very difficult.

I think the tank was $355, the other two pieces cost another $85-90 or so total.

Edit: 2015 SR and I just use different keys for ignition and the tank.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:39:00 AM by eswimm »

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »

Funny story, the locking lid has a helmet lock feature, but the funny part is like the original helmet lock -it does not work!  Not all helmet straps are long enough to reach, which is the same problem with the original helmet lock!  I would be kicking myself if I designed that.
A lot of helmet locks have this problem. That's why they make these: (They also let you put 2 helmets on one lock.)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Clay
DoD #2160,6

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »

The new bikes come with a cable.  It's still not a great design but it's at least functional.  Once the storage lid is closed I just sit my helmet on top of the storage lid.

..get it rekeyed by a locksmith.

After having a 2017 for a while now I would actually prefer if it was a different key although I would probably get a new flat key so it wouldn't be so bulky on a key chain.  It would actually be nice to be able to get in the storage without taking the key out of the ignition.  I could just carry both keys but it's not that big a deal.  The point being....if I was upgrading an older model year to the new locking storage tank I wouldn't bother trying to get it keyed the same.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:17:10 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

That original lock is NOT a helmet lock.  It's there so you can secure the tank bag in place and lock it closed to make it more difficult for a thief to get into it.  The Hollywood Electrics CF cover utilizes that same lock to secure their cover.

I suppose if you bought a long enough steel cable you could use it as a helmet lock, but that was not its original intention.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

A lot of helmet locks have this problem. That's why they make these: (They also let you put 2 helmets on one lock.)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Yes, I have been using a cable, but I would not call that user friendly, IMHO.   Its good that they come with new bikes.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

Please don't destroy your helmet/bag lock, those bolts are difficult to get to...
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Helmet_Lock_Removal
...but the lock can be relocated to the tail of the frame and make an excellent helmet lock:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Helmet_Lock_Relocation
Pages: [1]