• March 29, 2024, 12:14:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not satisfied with luggage options from Zero  (Read 4098 times)

idle

• View Profile
Not satisfied with luggage options from Zero
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:54:58 AM »

I wanted to ask if there was anyone on this forum that was able to fit a large pelican box to zero's top rack? I need basically 1 big storage container - is the only option to custom make a rack?

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Not satisfied with luggage options from Zero
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 04:03:38 AM »

How much litre do you need? Givi monokeys can be huge.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 04:41:00 AM »

You could mount a sidecar frame with a giant case on it!

Chief_Lee_Visceral

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:56:08 AM »

I have both adapter plates and the mounting grid areas are same. You have to buy the monokey plate to go with a monokey Givi model but they will mount to the rack on the bike the same way..
Current bikes:

2016 Zero DSR
2014 KTM 1190R
2011 Husaberg FE570S
2012 KTM 500EXC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Honda CRF450X Rally
1987 BMW K100RS

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:03:09 AM »

And if you want to go with a pelican or other box, you can get just the rack from Zero, without the Givi stuff.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »

Just buy the top rack and bolt or weld a plate made for the Pelican to it. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_7&products_id=187

For what it's worth, Happy Trails has a very sturdy side rack for the Zero. http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/zero-motorcycle/su-side-racks.html
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »

With an adapter plate you could put a 46 L Givi monokey case on top. That's what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:04 AM »

With an adapter plate you could put a 46 L Givi monokey case on top. That's what I use.

I had a 58L Givi Monolock Outback top case on my BMW that I sold.  So you can keep the Zero Givi rack and go with a case this size, but be careful of the weight load.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 04:22:04 AM »

If I'm right, Brian T Rice uses the GIVI E55 Maxia III.
It has 55l but has to be installed with a monokey adapter plate.
Offers quite a lot of comfort features like remote control, break light, interior light etc.

Even if you buy it used, it still costs a lot (w/ and w/o the options).

SW-Motech also offers an adapter plate and large top cases if I'm right. Usually at a lower price but they don't seem to be as premium as GIVI.

Anyway, I guess it won't be to difficult to find someone who welds an adapter plate for the zero an a pelican case.

Quiet rider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 04:31:08 AM »

Get a trailer. 60lb dog; can hardly notice. Hollow axle helps but not mandatory. www.moto-mule.com
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:14:05 AM by Shadow »
Ride 'til it Hz

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 04:55:22 AM »

I have a Givi E55 Maxia top case.  If wanted to go with a cheaper option, I considered using a pelican case.  Could work easily.  If you wanted a soft bag.  Moskomoto.com would be my choice as they have steel core straps available so you can lock it to the bike. 

Or as mentioned a trailer.  Trailtail.com works for me.  USD to CAD is strong, you would get a good deal!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »

If I'm right, Brian T Rice uses the GIVI E55 Maxia III.
It has 55l but has to be installed with a monokey adapter plate.
Offers quite a lot of comfort features like remote control, break light, interior light etc.

Even if you buy it used, it still costs a lot (w/ and w/o the options).

That's right - I also added the passenger backrest and top grill rack to it (both secondhand). I got one used on Craigslist over 5 years ago and kept it after the motorcycle it was on was totaled, using it on my V-Strom and DSR. The Maxia is a nice case, and it particularly helps that individual parts can be ordered and replaced separately, over the long term.

SW-Motech also offers an adapter plate and large top cases if I'm right. Usually at a lower price but they don't seem to be as premium as GIVI.

Anyway, I guess it won't be to difficult to find someone who welds an adapter plate for the zero an a pelican case.

SW-Motech side cases have been adapted to the Zero side rack (one set of TraX and I added one of those soft Aero bag sets) with plates. I usually see adapters for other plates to mount a Givi case rather than vice versa, but they should be available if you dig around a bit. I stumbled on this just now which is curious:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-h36-topcase-package

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »

Thanks all, I'm leaning towards the givi monokey trekker 58 liter case @ https://www.amazon.com/Givi-OBK58B-Outback-Black-Liter/dp/B00OPR2H7S/

I had no idea givi's got this big - is there any consideration I should take for such a big case? For example are there any non-plastic mounting plates that fit zero's top rack or does the plastic one do fine? thx

I had a 58L Givi Monolock Outback top case on my BMW that I sold.  So you can keep the Zero Givi rack and go with a case this size, but be careful of the weight load.

Is the primary concern for weight the nylon/plastic mounting plate? (E251 universal) I'm assuming that plate is the weakest part in the setup.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »

Is the primary concern for weight the nylon/plastic mounting plate? (E251 universal) I'm assuming that plate is the weakest part in the setup.
The OEM Zero top rack is fastened by the seat bolts, and a couple of small screws;  It has a rubber cap bumper thing that allows the most rear weight to be distributed down onto the tail plastics. It is not a sturdy or robust rack. The E251 universal plate notably interferes with the function of pillion grab rails feature of the top rack.

Please see: Luggage Rack Installation on Zeromanual.

Even a 47L Givi like I'm using will quickly encase enough mass to be concerning.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »

The OEM Zero top rack is fastened by the seat bolts, and a couple of small screws;  It has a rubber cap bumper thing that allows the most rear weight to be distributed down onto the tail plastics. It is not a sturdy or robust rack. The E251 universal plate notably interferes with the function of pillion grab rails feature of the top rack.

Please see: Luggage Rack Installation on Zeromanual.

Even a 47L Givi like I'm using will quickly encase enough mass to be concerning.

Agreed. I've had the top rack retaining bolts make a "ping!" sound just as I hit a ledge at high speed approaching the Dumbarton Bridge; it turned out that the bolt heads had broken off and I had to tap and extract them. I ride a lot on rough highways, so most won't see that level of daily wear. That's on my 2016 rack, whereas my 2013 rack with the small E340 case Zero sells is still fine.

I've upgraded the bolts retaining my top rack so a cylindrical socket head and used soft metal washers to spread the dynamic load, and on the tail tab I used pad cushions made for sliding furniture around to ensure that the "tongue" of the top rack rests on the tail normally so it doesn't wave around like a lever on those mounting bolts.

I am not a fan of the Zero tail design, and would like the engineers to anticipate tail loads more robustly some day, but given that it takes 15 minutes to install, running to the hardware store for better bolts, washers, and pads to compensate for the design is not the biggest deal in the world. Just make sure that tongue sits on the tail plastics so it doesn't wave around.
Pages: [1] 2