• April 26, 2024, 02:10:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Test rode a 2017 SR  (Read 1038 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Test rode a 2017 SR
« on: November 21, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »

Had to get new tires put on my 2016 SR  yesterday so with time to kill and my dealership having a 2017 Zero SR demo in stock I decided to take it out for a spin. The finish on the body work is better than on the 2016 SR. Of course the 2016 SR bodywork is a lot better than what was on my 2014 SR so Zero has come a long way on body work finish. The increased torque on the 2017 SR is definitely noticeable. Can't say you can wheelie the 2017 SR but you can definitely lift the front end up a bit. Maybe all you are really doing is removing the preload sag from the suspension but the pick-up is definitely better. I am curious to see what the formal testing numbers are. The SR demo I rode had the charge tank in it so it would be interesting to see what it would have been like without it. I asked my dealer to find out if you can upgrade the controller, belt and pulleys on my 2016 SR.

My Zero dealer is also going to install a Level 2 charging station and Zero is helping out with the cost of installation. Think this is a great idea since my dealer is about 70 miles away and right now I need to go to a mall to charge up before going home. Would be nice to just be able to charge at the dealer instead.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Test rode a 2017 SR
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »

Hey Vinny,

I know you are a serious electric motorcycle enthusiast having an order in on a Zero back in early 2009 and since getting a 2014 SR and a year ago a 2016 SR.  I have no doubt eventually Harlan at Hollywood Electrics will be able to have the parts to do both the things you mention.  The front sprocket is different and stronger on the new belt system and so the motor shaft itself had to change.  Someone is going to need to develop a sprocket with a keyway for the older bikes.  But the reason it changed is because a single keyway is only so strong.  If you upgrade the controller (not available yet to the public on sevcons website) this could be a issue.  But perhaps not if you just want a stronger belt and don't upgrade the controller.  Regardless it will probably be quite a while before Hollywood Electrics can get this type of kit sorted out if they decide to do so.  My guess they will focus on 2017 sales first.

The other issue is cost.  Is it worth it to do this?  If these components were to be $3000-$3500 to upgrade the drive system, it doesn't necessarily make an older bike worth $3k more when you go to sell it.  In fact definitely not.  The total price differential in the end is probably very similar trading in the 2016 SR taking a loss now and getting a 2017 SR with all those components already, and especially the stronger motor shaft design.  Also you can get a 2017 with a powertank with 1/2 kilowatt hour more capacity now.  I know you ride all over North Carolina (I went to NC State in Raleigh and so each time you post I know exactly where you are talking about) and so I know the extra range you get even though just a little will be worth it to someone like you, and perhaps let your VStrom perhaps retire from service for good.

You could always try to sell your old powertank and buy a new one too, but again, the loss and effort in doing this might financially even be a loss when you consider everything, vs just trading it in on a new 2017 Zero SR with everything on it already. 

You seem to have been a real good customer of Team Powersports, talk to them and see if they can treat you real good and give them a used 2016 SR with PT to have on their sales floor as a used bike.  Keep your Elcons and racking and everything of course for the new bike. 

Let us know what TPS says about the upgrades, but my guess is it's going to be a no go for now.  As a 2 time customer already they should appreciate your loyalty and try to make you happy with the power you want on a 2017 and hopefully make it financially similar to what the upgrades would cost plus the fact that in the end the 2017 will be worth more anyway vs a 2016 with those modifications.

The other option is to wait to see what 2018 has.  Although at this point it is a whole year away.  It all I guess depends on how much you enjoy faster acceleration and how important it is to you to have it each day for the next year.   My guess is for most people the extra acceleration wouldn't be worth it and upgrading every 2-3 years is the normal cycle for most on this forum, but I know you are an electric motorcycle enthusiast going back almost 8 years now like me and so we have different priorities and value calculations that we justify than most do. :)

Good luck whichever path you choose Vinny!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

If you'd like to go the 2017 route, you can get a quote from them and PM me since I may be upgrading from my 13 DS.  I'm in GA so not the other side of the world.  Just a thought.

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »

Thanks for this, I have been waiting for someone who has rode a 16 to comment on the difference. Sounds like I am going to be really tempted to upgrade when i go in for a test ride.

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »

Does your 2016 have a powertank on it?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »

Terry,

Thanks for the response. I had not considered the motor now has a splined shaft to go with the new pulley. I thought it would just be the controller, belt, and front and rear pulleys. The chances of someone machining a new pulley just for an upgrade application is slim and even then it wouldn't be strong enough. While the improved performance of the 2017 SR is certainly fun it isn't worth the cost of upgrading from the 2016 SR I have.  I took a big hit when I traded my 2014 SR in as TPS was concerned about how long it would take to sell it. It only took about two weeks but that is 20/20 hindsight.  But I had a lot of issues with the 2014 so in the end it was worth it. But so far my 2016 is flawless and certainly can't complain at all about the performance. TPS may be a bit more generous on trade in value at this point since they are actually the largest Zero dealer outside of California. (I was shocked when they told me that) Most likely I will wait and see what 2018 has to offer before I consider trading in my 2016 SR. I am also hoping that Tony Williams gets a CHAdeMO system for Zero motorcycles next year since that would handle a lot of my charging needs on short range trips without having to carry 30+ pounds of chargers around.

The charging situation in western NC is actually getting better compliments of Tesla. Tesla is installing a lot of their HPWC at B&Bs and such and when they do they are also installing Clipper Creek L2 systems. But you still have a lot of Blink systems in that region which either don't work at all or have very low power outputs. Actually bought a second J1772 plug so I could use two J1772 systems at one time. Being able to only use one Elcon and the internal charger really sucks and have seen that a few times out there. At least things are slowly getting better.

Vinny

David S: Yes my 2016 SR has a Power Tank on it.

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to test one myself :)

David S: Yes my 2016 SR has a Power Tank on it.

That also means that you carry about 10kg more weight on your bike then the testbike. not a huge difference, but feelable.
When someone makes a 0-60  / 0-100km/h time measurement, let me know :D In Switzerland it hets winter now, so im not able to drive for a long time :(
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries
Pages: [1]