• April 26, 2024, 09:08:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Replacement handlebars for SR  (Read 3532 times)

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: Replacement handlebars for SR
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 05:25:03 AM »

Here's what I put on mine.  They're from Lossa Engineering.  I initially just got some cheapo clubmans off of amazon, but the Lossa's were much better ergonomically.  Of course, I had to remove the fake tank, and I also had to get some Chinese-made risers off of ebay (both to lower the bar, and to accomodate the 7/8" bar thickness).
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:21 AM »

you can loosen the clamps that hold the brake lines and route them more directly.  I added 6" of height and it wasn't a problem.

Many thanks, I just bought the 2" rox risers so hopefully it works ...

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 06:57:57 AM »

Here's what I put on mine.  They're from Lossa Engineering.  I initially just got some cheapo clubmans off of amazon, but the Lossa's were much better ergonomically.  Of course, I had to remove the fake tank, and I also had to get some Chinese-made risers off of ebay (both to lower the bar, and to accomodate the 7/8" bar thickness).

Cool thanks!  How do u turn that bike with that stabilizer bar in the way?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 08:56:08 AM »

How did you get the electrical cables to reach? I installed 1.5" risers, I think, no more than 2", and the throttle and turn signal side connectors are too stretched - I can no longer fasten them to the handlebars asthere is no slack at all.

The risers are nice, bring my bars up and back a bit, but I'm worried the connectors will fail due to vibrations without the cables being secured to the bars. My brake line seems fine...

you can loosen the clamps that hold the brake lines and route them more directly.  I added 6" of height and it wasn't a problem.
'15 Zero SR

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »

Many thanks, I just bought the 2" rox risers so hopefully it works ...

Please post up some pictures of the install and wire routing when you finish.  I have my new SR coming in about a week and have a set of 2" Rox risers sitting and waiting to install.

2ballde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 02:16:33 AM »

I have a '16SR and didn't like the stock bars. They place the hands in front of the fork tubes and steering stem. Sorta like high clipons. Felt odd to me and like I was doing a push up the whole ride. I used Renthal 819-01 bars and they are working fine for me. I drilled the three control locating hole in the new bars approximately in the same locations. The only problems, the wires are at their limit but not strained and the hand control length is just long enough(SR 218mm vs Renthal 210mm, measurement F on Renthal charts)

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 03:36:43 AM »

Cool thanks!  How do u turn that bike with that stabilizer bar in the way?

By "stabilizer bar", I assume you mean the fairing brackets that sprout out just behind the steering stem.  Actually, it works just fine.  However, there was also the fairing itself that I had to steer clear of.  To make everything work, I had to get handlebar risers that were an inch or so lower than the stock items, plus I had to insert them into the rear holes in the upper triple-clamp, instead of the front holes.

Actually, now that I see the photo again, I forgot to mention that those risers are crappy.  I had to get some of these -- which are much better, both for strength and ease of installation -- off of ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252190709147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:52:08 AM by quixotic »
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »

Has anyone successfully swapped the handlebars on their Zero?

A few weeks ago I successfully flipped/rolled over the stock handlebar on my 2013 S. It's the same handlebar but it's in a very different position; so it was a "swap" in that sense. Although it's probably the opposite of what you want, in that it achieved a lower riding position rather than a higher one. Harlan at Hollywood electrics has done this before, I got the idea reading about that somewhere on this forum. If anyone else wants to make this mod I can provide more detail.

Do you ride aggressively and are looking for a performance or operability upgrade?...starting to really get into it and the idea of upgrading my bike for better racing and cornering performance has been on my mind...Also, if you are anywhere near SoCal - Let's ride!

Hey Tico, I live in Valley Center, which is in northern SD county. I modified the handlebar setup for comfort/streamlining: Because I spend 80-90% of my travel time in a full tuck (chest on tank bag or just behind it, depending on which seat my ass is on), for the significantly increased fuel efficiency/range, having lower/further forward handlebars is more comfortable (for that position, particularly because of my long-ish arms).

Seems like there was an issue with the throttle.  Its pinned into the bar so it was hard to rotate to a different  angle. You might have to drill a new hole in a new bar.

I only had to drill a hole for the turn signal/horn/headlight control switch cluster, but I have a 2013 so that could be the difference.

Here's what I put on mine.  They're from Lossa Engineering.

Bannana yellow. Bold choice sir.
perspective, use it

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »

How did you get the electrical cables to reach? I installed 1.5" risers, I think, no more than 2", and the throttle and turn signal side connectors are too stretched - I can no longer fasten them to the handlebars asthere is no slack at all.

The risers are nice, bring my bars up and back a bit, but I'm worried the connectors will fail due to vibrations without the cables being secured to the bars. My brake line seems fine...

I can't remember exactly, I probably took the headlight and tank plastics off real quick, followed all the wires back, cut the zip ties, unplugged the connectors and rerouted them perhaps.  If it feels tight, follow them back to the source and give them more slack.  All I can say now is I know its possible to get 6" and I don't remember it being difficult.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »

Thanks! I guess I'll be taking off the plastics and headlight as a winter project to do the same. Maybe install 12V accessory power while I'm at it too.

With the handlebars higher, my large windscreen is now tall enough and forward enough that I can actually ride behind it without having to duck much if at all. But I can feel the wind vibrations in the handlebars this way, so I'll also see if I can figure out some way to attach that screen to the frame instead of to the handlebars, maybe check for possible attachment points for a fairing too...

I can't remember exactly, I probably took the headlight and tank plastics off real quick, followed all the wires back, cut the zip ties, unplugged the connectors and rerouted them perhaps.  If it feels tight, follow them back to the source and give them more slack.  All I can say now is I know its possible to get 6" and I don't remember it being difficult.
'15 Zero SR

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 06:34:34 AM »

Finish installing the 2" Rox Risers today on my 2017 SR.  They are really nice and put the bar at the perfect height.  The control cables all had enough play to extend with the rise.  The only tight one is the brake line that had to be un-clipped from its connection to the outbound brake line going in under the tank area.

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »

We replace the SR handlebar by a DS handlebar, shortened by 1" on each side, and it looks much more "modern", to us at least! Many "naked bike fans"do not appreciate the bending of the S/ SR handlebar.
What is good also is that you still have your ZERO logo on the handlebar, factory look, not aftermarket

ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 03:59:05 AM »

since a couple of you have mentioned modifying the tank plastics for your various projects, I just wanted to let everybody in the thread know that I have a near-brand-new set of S/SR plastics for sale on eBay currently if anybody is interested…

http://m.ebay.com/itm/232153429865

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »

Id be interested , pm me if you still have the parts, the link says that I missed out!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

ticobrahe

• View Profile
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America
Pages: 1 [2] 3