• March 29, 2024, 01:50:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Questions about my new 2013 FX :)  (Read 763 times)

zero4al

• View Profile
Questions about my new 2013 FX :)
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:48 PM »

Hello everyone,

I took delivery of my 2013 FX last night around 6:30. Looks pretty good but I do have a few things to look at a couple small repairs. A few questions to start... This is my first bike and experience with Zero so I am a new with this.

1. When moving at slow speed, I can hear something on each revolution. I don't know if this is related to the tires or the electric motor. It sounds like what I would expect brake pads rubbing would sounds like as it picks up when speed increases. After around 20 mph+ the sound seems to go away completely so I was starting to think this may be related to the motor and normal, but it could be wind noise drowning it out or just going too fast to pick up each revolution. When rolling the bike while turned off, I put my ear next to each wheel but couldn't hear anything rubbing. When pushing it, it seems quiet. Is this normal?

2. What PSI do you guys recommend for the tires? I noticed the front tire was definitely a little low.

3. Brake light assembly was busted including the reflector inside. Any insight on where to get this replacement part?

4. Front suspension when pushed down sounds like something is making contact. Making a little noise. I feel like something may just be in the way somewhere and two things are just hitting each other but I haven't found it yet. Does this experience ring a bell with anyone?

5. The seller forgot to send the charge plug and is looking for it to send to me. It arrived with 1/2 charge and I rode it around for around 25 minutes to get the hang of it. In case they don;t come up with the charger, can you advise where I might find one that is compatible. I have a zero dealer a couple hours away.

That is all for now, thanks for any insight.

Alex

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Questions about my new 2013 FX :)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »

1. My front brake makes a brushing sound, I believe it's the holes in the disk swooshing past the pads.
2. Tire pressure is in the owners manual on the Zero website.
3. You could of course get a taillight from Zero. There are aftermarket LEDs that fit. Look for Ducati Monster.
5. Plug is standard like on computers in US, kettles in Australia. Cord is heavier. Search the forums for sources, or just wait...😉

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:37 PM »

The tire pressure specifications should also be on the VIN sticker on the bike's headstock located between the front forks.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

zero4al

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »

Scope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 11:12:09 PM »

Hello everyone,

I took delivery of my 2013 FX last night around 6:30. Looks pretty good but I do have a few things to look at a couple small repairs. A few questions to start... This is my first bike and experience with Zero so I am a new with this.

1. When moving at slow speed, I can hear something on each revolution. I don't know if this is related to the tires or the electric motor. It sounds like what I would expect brake pads rubbing would sounds like as it picks up when speed increases. After around 20 mph+ the sound seems to go away completely so I was starting to think this may be related to the motor and normal, but it could be wind noise drowning it out or just going too fast to pick up each revolution. When rolling the bike while turned off, I put my ear next to each wheel but couldn't hear anything rubbing. When pushing it, it seems quiet. Is this normal?

2. What PSI do you guys recommend for the tires? I noticed the front tire was definitely a little low.

3. Brake light assembly was busted including the reflector inside. Any insight on where to get this replacement part?

4. Front suspension when pushed down sounds like something is making contact. Making a little noise. I feel like something may just be in the way somewhere and two things are just hitting each other but I haven't found it yet. Does this experience ring a bell with anyone?

5. The seller forgot to send the charge plug and is looking for it to send to me. It arrived with 1/2 charge and I rode it around for around 25 minutes to get the hang of it. In case they don;t come up with the charger, can you advise where I might find one that is compatible. I have a zero dealer a couple hours away.

That is all for now, thanks for any insight.

Alex

Someone previously mentioned www.monoprice.com on this forum and I had great luck getting extra power cables in various lengths there, for cheap prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »

Tripplite.com has cords.

http://www.tripplite.com/heavy-duty-computer-power-cord-14awg-15a-nema-5-15p-to-iec-320-c13-12-ft~P007012/

15amp charge faster than 10 amp, or is 15 amp required?

Thanks for the help!
No, 15amp cord won't charge faster....10amp cord will get really hot.  You need a 15amp cord. NEMA 5-15 to C13....14 AWG

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 11:34:54 PM »

Check out Monoprice. They've got really good prices, and their cords are explicitly 14-AWG. You'll get my 25-footer when you pry them from my...ah hell, Heston totally spoiled that for me. But I do love my 25-footer dearly. Doesn't even warm up when I'm charging.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5292&seq=1&format=2
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

zero4al

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:11:10 AM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Do you guys know what the thickness of the handlebars is? Are they 1" or a little larger?

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 04:20:21 AM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Do you guys know what the thickness of the handlebars is? Are they 1" or a little larger?

They are 1 1/8" at the triple clamp and taper down to 7/8" at the grips
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 07:32:28 AM »

Isn't the FX charger something like 650W only, half the power of the S/DS/R line? Unless the '13 was different, then just about any good quality heavier gauge computer cord would be fine. Many desktop computer power supplies are in the 400W+ range and gaming systems are more. Your bike will be sucking only 5-6A continuous power...

Basically, if suring a charge it gets uncomfortable to hold hit, get a heavier gauge. If it's just warm, it's fine.
But it does not hurt to get a 15A rated cord.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:35:04 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR
Pages: [1]