• March 28, 2024, 03:48:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 16 SR dash display flashing every pixel -- what is up?  (Read 1056 times)

ticobrahe

• View Profile
16 SR dash display flashing every pixel -- what is up?
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »

Hey everybody. Had this happen today (link to video on youtube below). My 16 SR has 600 miles on it. First issue I've encountered. If you have the time and inclination, please have a look at the video I uploaded and let me know your thoughts...

Unofficial Zero manual says it "indicates an onboard charger self-test failure. Key the bike off and wait for a few seconds and retry, and it should clear."

Seeking reassurance that is what happened and that I am not looking at a much larger problem.

Thanks-

Tico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8prdrl1OrMU
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: 16 SR dash display flashing every pixel -- what is up?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »

Yeah, my 2015 SR did that when the charger went wonky...

Is your bike charging ok?
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:31:05 PM »

My 2014 S display did that one time about 8 months ago.  I followed the advice in the owner's manual and it never happened again.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »

About to find out the status. My bike has been plugged-in overnight and I haven't had a chance to get to the garage yet. Will update if any further issues.

Did you have to replace the charger?
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »

My 2014 S display did that one time about 8 months ago.  I followed the advice in the owner's manual and it never happened again.   :)

Is the advice in the owner's manual you are referencing the "wait a few minutes, key it off, key it back on again" process? or something more involved or sophisticated?
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:17:59 AM »

Is the advice in the owner's manual you are referencing the "wait a few minutes, key it off, key it back on again" process? or something more involved or sophisticated?

What I did was to pull the charger plug, turned the key on, turned the key off, plugged the charger back in and that solved the problem.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »

What I did was to pull the charger plug, turned the key on, turned the key off, plugged the charger back in and that solved the problem.
[/quote]

Interesting. I was not at home and didn't have a cord; was actually at a gas station filling air in the tires. Thought I was gonna have to huff it back a mile or so to my home. Thankfully it fired back up after fiddling with the sidestand, motor stop switch on/off, and key in and on, then off.

Weirdest part was that after I had the sidestand down, stop switch in off position, and turned key to off position and removed from the ignition console, the display continued to spaz out with all pixels blinking for another 10 seconds or so (video cuts off basically at this point).

I'm taking it into the dealer next week for its first service, we'll see what they say and if it even shows up in the logs they pull. Hoping it's not indicative of something grimmer down the road...
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 09:15:58 PM »

I just recalled that one other time when the dash started flashing was when I first started the bike up in the morning.  The previous evening, just before shutting down, I had changed the "custom" programming and apparently had not left the ignition on long enough for the bike to finish updating the "custom" revisions. So the dash was going crazy the next morning until I turned off the ignition and then turned it back on, at which time everything returned to normal and the new custom changes had taken. But it sounds like you may have more of an issue that I did. Let us know what you find out.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »

I just recalled that one other time when the dash started flashing was when I first started the bike up in the morning.  The previous evening, just before shutting down, I had changed the "custom" programming and apparently had not left the ignition on long enough for the bike to finish updating the "custom" revisions. So the dash was going crazy the next morning until I turned off the ignition and then turned it back on, at which time everything returned to normal and the new custom changes had taken. But it sounds like you may have more of an issue that I did. Let us know what you find out.

Eureka! That is exactly what I did *just before* leaving for the aforementioned gas station to inflate the tires. Changed the custom settings (all four user-adjustable custom %'s), got on and rode to the gas station about a mile down the road. Three minutes later after filling tires, go to turn on bike and it goes wonky. THANK YOU. This is the actionable information I needed! I am a lot less concerned now. Cheers brother-

2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:15:03 PM »

Yes Richard has earned his HERO status on more than one occasion.

These bikes give you a super emotional response when somethings not right don't they? Like two wheeled crack, you want that smooth zip back and fast.  :)

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »

Yes Richard has earned his HERO status on more than one occasion.

These bikes give you a super emotional response when somethings not right don't they? Like two wheeled crack, you want that smooth zip back and fast.  :)

2 wheeled crack while kitted up and kicking in a door in Falujah with an extinction level event asteroid charging toward earth's atmosphere while Slayer is playing live with old school Sabbath at 155db and your GF/partner is slowly undressing. Yeah, it's intense.

Yeah, Richard is the man. There are a handful of dudes around here who have helped me immensely with my SR and teachable moments. I appreciate all of them. Too many to name, but we all know they are special and enabling the forward movement of the EV takeover. I was able to add a bit of input to the unofficial guide when I swapped out my SR red plastics for factory black ones and had detailed installation instructions direct from Zero that I was able to share. Felt good being a contributing member of our community. Anyways man, thanks again for the reply and ride on...
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

so far, no charging issues. the very first charge after purchase in April (in my garage on a dedicated circuit), I had the clothes dryer running and then stupidly tried to open the electrically operated garage door. Overloaded the box and popped the circuit breaker. Now I know not to simultaneously charge the bike and do those other actions. Ever since, never a charging issue.

But it strongly appears that my issue with the display going apesh*t wasn't due to a charging issue of any variety. Thanks for replying, ride on brother-
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America
Pages: [1]