• April 25, 2024, 05:57:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2  (Read 31093 times)

Skidz

• View Profile
Re: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »

You'd need to use an isolated ground, otherwise there would be short and expensive fireworks ;) Since CAN is a simple serial protocol it could be done but would need some carefull engineering...

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 03:33:10 AM »

I was a week offline becourse of work. But holymoly.. an SMS service Remmie :o All such perfect good improvements.. Wow.
I'm gonna spend the next day's working on my double set of Eltek FP2k's and building a case around it. So I can leave it next to my bike while charging. Also in the rain and yes, its vented!  8)
[edit] the only (quite bulky) CAN isolator I found was here: http://ems-wuensche.com/product/datasheet/html/can-repeater-error-suppression-optical-isolation-crepopto.html]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:42:16 AM by wijnand71 »

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

Anybody interested in Flatpack S 1800W?

We could get them directly from Eltek Germany for a price of 280€ each. Still expensive, but cheaper than the else quoted 360€.

The price is only valid if at least 20 Flatpacks are bought. So far we have (outside of this forum) eight, so we would need another 12 for this to happen.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »

Guten Tag, Neuer,

I may be interested in 2 pieces :-)
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »

Great, put me on the list for 4!

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »

Great, so we already have 6. So we just need another six. ☺️

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »

4 for me then! That's awesome!

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »

Great, so two more to go. :)

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »

I can report further on the specs of the flatpacks. The specsheet says „Hot plug-in inrush current limiting“ and „Short circuit proof“.  I asked Eltek about max current in the case of shortcut (i.e. connecting with the capacitors of the controller not precharged yet). They told me it will be limited to max 105%, which would be less than 44A in case of the 2kW Unit.

Conclusion regarding everything I know and asked them so far: The flatpacks are some incredibly good rectifiers, which is likely a result of the high quality standards in telecommunication industry and the reliability necessary for constant use even under bad circumstances.

Apart from faults due to human errors, i.e. a wrong wiring, I consider the flatpacks a safe charging solution which will not harm our bikes even in case of an opening contactor or other events. It will not damage any components nor will it blow up the charge fuse.

Furthermore I can report that a set of two flatpacks is the limit for a FXS and that the app is apparently not reporting the full charge current, actual current seems to be a little bit higher. Had the opportunity to look into both of my BMS, they reported a historic max charge current of 25,6 and 24,8 A, which is pretty close to the limit set to 26A ;-) Don't know if there's still any tolerance.

I think this might be the case due to slight imbalance in between the two packs, so one gets a little more current than the other. Calculated total amperage would be 41.7 of the flatpacks and 6.2 of the onboard, so basically 48A in total, which would equal to 24A for each pack.

So this weekend i connected the canbus connections of the 2 "bottom" flatpacks together to be able to read-out and control the current of both sets of flatpacks.
The good news is that it is no problem connecting those 2 canbusses without blowing anything up (so far)  8)
This way i can read out both "bottom"  flatpacks and show the data on the tiny oled screen in one of them.

Great to hear that this works as expected 😊 And concerning the additional SMS module and your PID programming…you’re insane, but in a positive way! 😃

What I still don’t understand: Why didn’t you notice the lack of amperage control in lower voltages before? Did you never make use of it so far? Could actually see the same behavior on my flatpacks now.

I was a week offline becourse of work. But holymoly.. an SMS service Remmie :o All such perfect good improvements.. Wow.
I'm gonna spend the next day's working on my double set of Eltek FP2k's and building a case around it. So I can leave it next to my bike while charging. Also in the rain and yes, its vented!  8)

Very interested in this, have been thinking about a good solution for a while. So far I’m using some plastic bags, which works but looks very bad :D

We could get them directly from Eltek Germany for a price of 280€ each. Still expensive, but cheaper than the else quoted 360€.

The price is only valid if at least 20 Flatpacks are bought. So far we have (outside of this forum) eight, so we would need another 12 for this to happen.

I asked for a quote as well, let’s see what they offer to me 😉 I might want to buy some as well, but not sure if and how many yet. I’ll know it in a week or so.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:13:13 PM by Lenny »
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »

I asked for a quote as well, let’s see what they offer to me 😉 I might want to buy some as well, but not sure if and how many yet. I’ll know it in a week or so.
Just to clarify: The group buy I was offering is the one from Merlin on Endless-Sphere (the one you got your Flatpaks from). I had been in talks with him, as I was more interested in a Flatpak S (because it fits so nicely into the "frunk") than in the Flatpak 2HE (although he really has a great price for the 2HEs).
He told me that he got 6 people interested on endless-sphere so far, but needs at least 20 to get the deal with Eltek.

So, let's see, if you can get a better deal than he. But he has a good track record from Eltek (e.g. the 50 HEs he got and sold), so I'd be a bit surprised if you really get a better deal.

Anyway, we just need to get the number of 20 together. Then, we can still see which offer is the best. So, how many do you want to take?:D

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

Very interested in this, have been thinking about a good solution for a while. So far I’m using some plastic bags, which works but looks very bad :D

I've been experimenting with a few setups and this seems now to be a good working one:
Its accepts 3 phases, in the charger fase 1 is fed through to an external wire to power the onboard, phase 2 and 3 are the Eltek's.

Case is made of 5mm polyetheen, was easy and cheap to order the pre-cut pieces. Only needed to screw and glue the parts together. When charging at full power, the top get quite hot, maybe I change this to an laser cut aluminium piece. On top is also a window for the LCD and the arduinuino sits in front of the flatpacks. On the right hand side is a button to change the charge Amps. The case has alsready withstand some unplanned showers here, but all was good and the interior was still dry :-)

As you can see I use a differtent type of Anderson here. Mainly to make it easy for myself and not to have crouch each time under the bike to search for the brown connector. I made a short adapter Brown Anderson > Blue Anderson wich stays in the bike and I have heat shrinked the Brown connector to the bike. So its really european weather style  :P
Other advantage is that for this blue Anderson a rubber environmental protection boot is available (not available for the brown version) So this is also shower proof and it really fits nice in its small space here. I still have to tape in the wires though, so that they are nice and matte black.
I found this side of the bike easier to access, maybe I move the 230V inlet also to this side one day..

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:43:13 PM by wijnand71 »

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »

ZERO SR 2016

George Cowly

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »

And 4 for me, please!

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »

Sounds like a lot of potential supercharger builders out there ;)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »

Sounds like a lot of potential supercharger builders out there ;)

Which means the wiki should say something about this, just for quality's sake. I'm super busy right now but will try to herd this info soon.

Per my usual advice for the knowledgeable guys starting this project: try to write everything out. I think the base skills and tools for crimping and so on should be explicitly called out so we don't get someone bricking their bike or damaging the equipment or themselves!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23