• April 26, 2024, 03:00:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2  (Read 31100 times)

Skidz

• View Profile
Re: My homemade 'Supercharger' for a ZERO Version 2
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2017, 01:26:41 AM »

Ah ok ;) Well in that case, nice and short solution then ;)

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2017, 03:42:12 AM »

CAN GND is needed. If your interface works without, that means there is hopefully a GND return somehow through other wires, like common grounding, but this is unreliable, generally speaking. A bit like running IC power lines without decoupling capacitors. It may work sometimes.

Please understand that CAN-H and CAN-L are signals referred to GND. Their opposite phase helps eliminating common mode transients induced in long wiring harnesses. It is not a floating signal going through decoupling transformers.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2017, 04:56:17 AM »

Really cool thread. Neat to see just how far people have taken the DIY solution since I posted up a meanwell stack with tons of help from DocBass and team.
I never used CAN signals as the RSP's would simply throttle down as they got to the set voltage so I didn't think about it as they were set bellow battery max.

Has any consideration been given to condensation or making an enclosure which wouldn't allow water intrusion ?

I still use my RSP2000 stack when at home and when it is nice outside but with my Diginow SCv2 coming soon I likely wont use it given the problem with water / rain / moisture. 

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »

Do you guys crimp or solder the Mennekes plug? The connectors look pretty heavy, so I fear crimping will not be easy. But I'm not so experienced in crimping. Soldering, on the other hand, may damage the black plastic on the end of the connectors, as it needs probably a lot of heat with the large steel areas.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »

I clamped the Mennekes pins in a rather large vice, which dissipated the heat from the plastic tip end, and soldered with ~60 watts.
Take care to not forget any of the plastics where the wires have to pass through.... I needed to re-solder a pin because I found out I forgot a retainer somehow :P
Also take note the PE pin has no plastic tip to ensure it gets connected first...

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

I clamped the Mennekes pins in a rather large vice, which dissipated the heat from the plastic tip end, and soldered with ~60 watts.
Take care to not forget any of the plastics where the wires have to pass through.... I needed to re-solder a pin because I found out I forgot a retainer somehow [emoji14]
Also take note the PE pin has no plastic tip to ensure it gets connected first...
Good idea. I will emerge the plastic tip into a glass of cold water, while soldering the other side.
Crimping really looks a bit of close to impossible to me without very specialized tools.

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »

For those who have not purchased their mennekes plug yet and also have trouble getting crimping tools, there are also screw type type 2 plugs available

this one is 3 phase 32A with screw terminals

https://www.laadkabelwinkel.nl/type-2-plug-male-3f32a-schroefbaar

Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Ciscone

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »

i have ordered 15 new ones. Same Layout. i need soem also for my FP2.
should arrive this week.

winfried : 2
hubert: 2
neuer_user: 2 ?

please check if this size is ok for you (or not)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2017, 03:14:04 AM »

This EVSE thingy might be an interesting addition to everybody's flatpacks: http://www.fivari.be/indexEN.html

I'm considering buying one for trips to less EV-friendly countries.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2017, 04:28:11 PM »

Take care to not forget any of the plastics where the wires have to pass through.... I needed to re-solder a pin because I found out I forgot a retainer somehow [emoji14]
Good idea. I will emerge the plastic tip into a glass of cold water, while soldering the other side.
Crimping really looks a bit of close to impossible to me without very specialized tools.
So, that actually worked not too bad. I heated the pins with a heat gun and used in parallel my 35W solder iron. I was able to fill the whole pretty well with solder (and the cable fo course). So, I hope it is sufficient for the high currents.

So, I now have a 3m cable attached to the Mennekes plug, and I wonder if I should shorten it. I don't think it will fit in the "frunk" area?! What length of cable do you guys prefer?

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

I used to solder Bullet connectors to my 3 phase motors used in model helicopters, stowing over 250A... I'm not too worried about the measly 20A my Mennekes will push out at 4kW per phase...

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »

And at what Voltage do those birds fly?

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »

And at what Voltage do those birds fly?
Probably 10-20V DC, I would guess.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »

22.2v and 44.4v (6s to 12s). Especially the low voltage machine used a lot of current... The HV setup ran at a max of 80A. The batteries were DC, but the motor used were brushless AC motors.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »

22.2v and 44.4v (6s to 12s). Especially the low voltage machine used a lot of current... The HV setup ran at a max of 80A. The batteries were DC, but the motor used were brushless AC motors.
But only very few seconds at a time.
Charging is 1hour+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23