• April 25, 2024, 07:44:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CURSE You ICE  (Read 1997 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
CURSE You ICE
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:34:57 AM »

That is diesels in particular. Turning out of a junction this evening, I hit a patch and my SR spat me off as I tried to accelerate away. 

Bike is not too badly damaged, bent handlebar and smashed mirror, plus ground a good chunk of the brake lever away... ::)

My poor elbows a mess, but the bike rode on home without missing a beat.

Its a Tough little bike.

Remember everyone, dont be like me, keep the rubber side down this Winter.  ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: CURSE You ICE
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:55:50 AM »

Glad you're not badly hurt!  Hey, aren't the grips rubber?  :)

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 05:01:52 AM »

That is diesels in particular. Turning out of a junction this evening, I hit a patch and my SR spat me off as I tried to accelerate away. 

Bike is not too badly damaged, bent handlebar and smashed mirror, plus ground a good chunk of the brake lever away... ::)

My poor elbows a mess, but the bike rode on home without missing a beat.

Its a Tough little bike.

Remember everyone, dont be like me, keep the rubber side down this Winter.  ;)

Glad youre ok.  How fast were you going?  Were you wearing CE Armor?  In hindsight, was there anything you could have done to prevent it?  Were you rounding a corner when you lost and then regained traction of the rear wheel, in other words "highsided" ?

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »

I was doing about 30mph, and just starting to accelerate away out of the junction. Luckly I was wearing very good armour indeed, including an airbag motorcycle jacket with an integrated spine protector.

Not much I could have done to prevent it. I reflex closed the throttle, but the rear wheel was spinning too fast and sliding out by that point.
About the only thing that might have prevented it was coming out the junction slower. Spotting diesel on the road at night is a non-starter... ;)

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

Get well soon!
Never considered that one of the benefits of electric vehicles will be a lot less oil on the roads.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:06 AM »

And here I thought this would be a rant against petroleum fueled bikes.
Glad you are relatively OK.

Ice blows.  A few years ago I had to have my brother plow the snow so I could leave for Daytona Beach.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:31 AM »

I was doing about 30mph, and just starting to accelerate away out of the junction. Luckly I was wearing very good armour indeed, including an airbag motorcycle jacket with an integrated spine protector.

Not much I could have done to prevent it. I reflex closed the throttle, but the rear wheel was spinning too fast and sliding out by that point.
About the only thing that might have prevented it was coming out the junction slower. Spotting diesel on the road at night is a non-starter... ;)

Glad you had the right gear on.

What torque ramp setting were you in? Eco mode is 40%.

Dual sport geometry (suspension, bars, wheel size, tread) fairs marginally better in my experience.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »

I was in custom mode, full torque though.
I'm dialed down the torque while the roads are greasy.

I suspect the old Diversion will be coming out of storage soon though as the Winter starts to bite.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »

Okay. Definitely take it easy and hopefully lower torque setting sorts you out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:32:59 AM by BrianTRice »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »

That wiggle in the center of my DSR's center-of-mass over icy roads may make a god-fearing athiest out of me yet!

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 04:31:04 AM »

I had the same thing happen to me on sport mode. Other people have suggested keeping it in eco mode for risky acceleration spaces just to reduce the free spin a bit.  $500 worth of new handlebars and misc repairs and shop time wiser, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:30:57 AM »

Two words: traction control :)

I've spun the rear a few times so far on acceleration in a straight line or coming out of a corner, causing mild tail spin. But  this was in decent dry conditions, I was alert for it happening, so not totally unexpected, and I was able to ease off the throttle and the bike fell in line quickly and without much drama. I can imagine on a slick surface I'd be doomed as I probably won't be quick enough to react.
'15 Zero SR

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »

Two words: traction control :)

I've spun the rear a few times so far on acceleration in a straight line or coming out of a corner, causing mild tail spin. But  this was in decent dry conditions, I was alert for it happening, so not totally unexpected, and I was able to ease off the throttle and the bike fell in line quickly and without much drama. I can imagine on a slick surface I'd be doomed as I probably won't be quick enough to react.

It's okay, coming off teaches you throttle control, the repair bill only helps to re-enforce the lesson... ;)
(I'm lucky I only raked up a £100 repair bill)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »

I did a full 180 in a very slick muddy corner off road. It happened so fast I could not react, throttle was twisted more as I went down. The good news, no damage to me or the bike. Hand guards, drop bars, full riding gear, enduro mirror. I think even simple acceleration limiting might have prevented it. It wasn't a case of too much torque, just no traction and insane wheel spin.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 02:00:32 AM »

I did a full 180 in a very slick muddy corner off road. It happened so fast I could not react, throttle was twisted more as I went down. The good news, no damage to me or the bike. Hand guards, drop bars, full riding gear, enduro mirror.

Wow. Glad you're okay.

I think even simple acceleration limiting might have prevented it. It wasn't a case of too much torque, just no traction and insane wheel spin.

The thing about electric motors is, though, they can spin up very quickly when they lose traction. Reducing the torque ramp (Eco mode or otherwise) at least limits the downside and yields a little more feel for when traction is starting to disappear. We say that Eco mode reduces torque, but it just remaps the throttle to have a lower torque for a given throttle position or torque change per throttle adjustment (and as a result limits the top end). The point is that once traction is lost, Eco/reduced-rate modes both soften the spin-up and make it easier to recover.

Regarding traction control, I'm certainly in favor of it, but I've realistically figured out that the development cost for this will be fairly high, requiring very high frequency intervention in the motor controller (or is the throttle signal input enough? but it has to fail-safe to avoid losing throttle input signal entirely) on behalf of both ABS wheel speed sensors and a monitoring chip.

Anyway, it's understood for modern combustion engines but would require re-thinking and new engineering that'd cost a good bit of money and would divert engineers from other projects that we've also clamoured for: https://rideapart.com/articles/motorcycle-traction-control-work

Please use Eco mode or reduce your torque throttle ramp if you suspect your traction will be limited.
Pages: [1] 2