• March 29, 2024, 03:54:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Absolute Maximum DC input voltage to QuiQ  (Read 756 times)

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
Absolute Maximum DC input voltage to QuiQ
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:12:43 AM »

Hi,

For traveling/remote/emergency charging, it would be very helpful to be able to charge from another vehicle.  In my case, this would be from my Volt, which has a battery voltage between 330 and 390 VDC.  The QuiQ is rated for the normal 85-265VAC; 265VAC may cause a peak of 374VDC internally.  Has anyone already opened theirs up to see if it safe to go any higher, or done this before?  Worst case, it would appear that as long as I verify that the donor vehicle voltage is on the lower end, it should be OK.  Only thinking about the QuiQ's because I want to limit potential damage to them if possible.  Thoughts or better ideas?

Jon

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Absolute Maximum DC input voltage to QuiQ
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »

Seems like this makes sense that it would work, but you'd have to try it.  But the question remains, how often are both you and your bike AND your Volt away from home and at the same location far away.  And if so how did you ride and drive both of them at the same time? 

Wouldn't a much more likely scenario be to find any other vehicle in the world with a 12v battery and just use a 2000w 12v inverter to power the Delta Q for 10-15 min with the car running?  That should be plenty to get you enough to ride at slow speed to get to any nearby power outlet to charge normally.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »

Also, how are you planning on accessing the battery terminals on the car roadside? They are hidden away for a reason.

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

Getting to the HV battery voltage on the Volt isn't too hard, but limited to about 20A; which is plenty.

But, yea, overall probably not worth the effort or warranty risk.  I was considering some riding while remote/camping and a couple track days, which is what made me think about it seriously.  The issue that really triggered the thought though, was my last mountain ride -- I ended up at one point, 45 miles from home, with only ~15% left, when I decided I should cut short and head home.  I didn't think I'd make it.  Luckily, I had 5000ft of elevation advantage, and by also going slowly, made it back with actually quite a bit of headroom.
Pages: [1]