• April 25, 2024, 07:27:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: WTB front wheel 2013 Zero S  (Read 814 times)

pinkyracer

• View Profile
    • I write about electric motorcycles...
WTB front wheel 2013 Zero S
« on: November 06, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »

Sooo a few years ago, I put a massive dent in the S style front wheel of my 2013 FX. And now it's finally high time I put a new tire on that wheel. But as predicted, the dent is big enough to not allow a new tire to seat properly and it's leaking a bit. 2 PSI in the first few hours.

I know bending dents back into shape is a bad idea, so does anyone have an S front wheel for sale? Or recommendations for something lighter (but sturdier, of course, no magnesium!) that will fit? Man, that wheel is heavy for aluminum!

Fred

• View Profile
Re: WTB front wheel 2013 Zero S
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »

Are there companies that can sort the dent out safely?
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

Only way to have light wheels is converting to spokes, if not your rather Well off.

Think the frontwheel of my old beemer r100rs is about twenty some pounds ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »

I have seen ads in City Bike magazine for a company that says they can straighten out bends in motorcycle wheels safely. My recollection is that they are located somewhere in the SF Bay Area. I am sure that if you have the right equipment and experience it can be done and I know there are companies that can do this work.  No doubt there are similar companies located elsewhere in the country. Perhaps a little internet research is warranted before trying to replace the wheel.   ???

About 20 years ago I was with a friend who was riding his 1988 BMW R100RS when he hit a big rock that dented his wheel rim to the point where the front wheel lost air pressure. He was able to find an old piece of wood and a big rock and was able to bash the rim reasonably straight again. After pumping up the front tire it held air and he still has that wheel on his bike, which he rides every week.  So it can be done.  However, it is also true that the wheel rims on BMWs of that period were very soft and apparently didn't mind being bent back into shape at least once without creating any cracks.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »

You might check with Harlan at Hollywood Electrics. If anyone has them in stock, it would be him.
I bought a front wheel from him for mine and it was very reasonable.

pinkyracer

• View Profile
    • I write about electric motorcycles...
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:12:43 AM »

yep, Harlan said he might have one. He'll check on Tuesday.

As for repairing it, well, I did do a cursory search, and strangely enough, there's no amazing new technology that strengthens aluminum once it's been bent. ;-) This thread has great advice from commenter Robert Haas: http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/124977/

So yeah, if you wanna buy my seriously dented front wheel, I'll sell it to you for $50. With a waiver, of course. ;-) Otherwise it's going to the recycling plant.
Pages: [1]