• March 29, 2024, 01:03:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29268 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2017, 07:18:51 AM »

Yeah, it works great. Except at cabrillo college.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »

Cabrillo College has a bunch of solar powered trailers and limits power to 3.3 kW per port on purpose.

And Steven I use 4 Diginow superchargers, on a 2015 with a powertank, to get 13.2 kW from 2 J plugs.  I have yet to overcurrent a station and have been charging everywhere from the Bay to LA and back.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »

Awesome, can't wait for another 3.3kW brick - just as soon as my bike shops having problems.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »

Cabrillo College has a bunch of solar powered trailers and limits power to 3.3 kW per port on purpose.

And Steven I use 4 Diginow superchargers, on a 2015 with a powertank, to get 13.2 kW from 2 J plugs.  I have yet to overcurrent a station and have been charging everywhere from the Bay to LA and back.
Interesting, I would have expected a solar solution to offer DC only to avoid the conversion loss from the station's battery.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2017, 06:37:35 AM »

Does everyone else's charge tank flap not click shut with the SC J inlet? Any idea how to help it stay shut while riding, or did I do something wrong?
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »

Does everyone else's charge tank flap not click shut with the SC J inlet? Any idea how to help it stay shut while riding, or did I do something wrong?

Yep. Compared to the chargetank inlet which sits prouder off the chargetank bracket and through the flip top opening than does the inlet included with the SCv2.  Come to think of it I may try a shirt cardboard spacer and if that works come up with something more solid. Also besides the flip top mashing open at freeway speeds the various J1772 plugs don't click in without some force and shaving back a bit of the cowl.

Good report.

*Update* Used some stiff plastic packaging to make a spacer. I tried unsuccessfully a variety of spacers and washers to get the inlet angled so it would retain the flip top. However I do recommend a 1mm to 2mm shim for a better fit and had I done this before possibly I would not have needed to shave down the chargetank cowl in front of the inlet area where the J1772 clicks into place. Pictures follow.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:19:20 PM by Shadow »

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »

Interesting, I would have expected a solar solution to offer DC only to avoid the conversion loss from the station's battery.

AC is the common denominator here. Since dc<>dc conversion is pretty specific (The charging logic is on the EVSE side so it needs to know cell count, max charging current etc), and most EV's have an AC charger on board anyway, the AC route is way cheaper. This way the ~15% loss in dc > ac > dc again and the inverter hardware is neglectable  compared pricewise to a DC charger.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »

I think with the new 2017 tanks the hard top tank, or the HE carbon top tank might be the best install now. These were not available originally, but now that they are you can get some storage space as well as keep your j inlets in your tank while riding.

Not sure, but killroy is testing the setup now. Looking forward to getting some wear results, and taking photos etc. next time I see him.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2017, 03:13:56 AM »

I think with the new 2017 tanks the hard top tank, or the HE carbon top tank might be the best install now. These were not available originally, but now that they are you can get some storage space as well as keep your j inlets in your tank while riding.

Not sure, but killroy is testing the setup now. Looking forward to getting some wear results, and taking photos etc. next time I see him.

This shows the space in the locking 'tank' with 6.6 kW.  I plan on getting another 3.3 kW and filling up all the space.  I will probably  have to relocate the j-socket.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:44 AM »

This shows the space in the locking 'tank' with 6.6 kW.  I plan on getting another 3.3 kW and filling up all the space.  I will probably  have to relocate the j-socket.

On my TODO list is making a bracket from the passenger foot peg mounting location for J1772 inlet (a clever application of zipties will also work there).  The other good locations are mounted to the top rack bracket underside, or the CHAdeMO cutout (you'll need to remove the left side plastics to expose this location).

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:32 AM »

I'm really excited about the new scv2, but will likely wait a year or so before jumping in. Here are my concerns/considerations
1) I bought two Elcon chargers four months ago; it's difficult for me to justify the expense of the scv2 at this point
2) I'm only interested in scv2 if I can do 1C charging. I think that means four units (2016 SR, no power tank). Though I haven't read all posts in this thread, it seems availability may be limited at this time
3) with any new technology/consumer product there are bugs, revisions, more bugs, more revisions. I prefer to wait a year to see how it all pans out
4) from some that I've read, it sounds like one might need to do some alterations to the bike at accomadate the scv2. I much prefer a "plug-n-play" approach. Alternatively, I'd be willing to pay someone (with a better set of tools and knowledge than I have) to make any needed modifications.
5) If I wait two years ... there may be a better zero with a much better range.

Closing note: today, pulling away from a stoplight, I got scortched by a guy on a smallish ICE. Ouch;
that doesn't happen much. Need ... more ... more ... torque ...
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2017, 08:34:31 AM »

I'm really excited about the new scv2, but will likely wait a year or so before jumping in. Here are my concerns/considerations
1) I bought two Elcon chargers four months ago; it's difficult for me to justify the expense of the scv2 at this point
2) I'm only interested in scv2 if I can do 1C charging. I think that means four units (2016 SR, no power tank). Though I haven't read all posts in this thread, it seems availability may be limited at this time
3) with any new technology/consumer product there are bugs, revisions, more bugs, more revisions. I prefer to wait a year to see how it all pans out
4) from some that I've read, it sounds like one might need to do some alterations to the bike at accomadate the scv2. I much prefer a "plug-n-play" approach. Alternatively, I'd be willing to pay someone (with a better set of tools and knowledge than I have) to make any needed modifications.
5) If I wait two years ... there may be a better zero with a much better range.

Closing note: today, pulling away from a stoplight, I got scortched by a guy on a smallish ICE. Ouch;
that doesn't happen much. Need ... more ... more ... torque ...

Scorched, do you have an SR?

The problem with waiting 2 years, is you can just wait 4 and get even better. Well, 6 years it will be even longer range, charge faster and have many more features. Actually, wait 8 years and it'll be a complete redesign and blow current bikes out of the water...it's the Tesla problem. The best Zero is the one in the dealership right now. The best charging solution is the SC 2. Don't keep waiting and hoping, go get what's out now. You're funding the next generation, and this generation will likely be more than good enough for your needs.

I've never changed a belt or brake pads on a motorcycle, and I did a SC v2 one brick install this week. Takes a little figuring out, but any average person can do it with a little research. Have charge tank plastics installed, or just ordered by your dealer before hand, it will make things pretty much plug and play.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:45:07 AM by nevetsyad »
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »

The problem with waiting 2 years, is you can just wait 4 and get even better. Well, 6 years it will be even longer range, charge faster and have many more features. Actually,y wait 8 years and...it's the Tesla problem. The best Zero is the one in the dealership right now.

Amen. I very well may have the first SR sold to the public (I put my deposit down on my lunch hour the day the 2014 models were announced), and sure, I'd love to have a 2017 with its Bosch brakes and Showa shocks and embedded magnet motor and.....well all that stuff.

But I've been riding mine since January 2014.  :D  None of those lucky bastards with the bright shiny new bikes can say that. 32,000 miles so far and not a single regret. Sure, it's an immature technology and big improvements are made every year...but not really. That was very true five years ago, but we're a lot higher up on the exponential curve by now.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »

For 2016 SR with no power tank you need 3 units to do 1C.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »

He has two 2.5kW Elcons. Get them mounted like saddle bags. Get one SCv2s in your tank, tie it to your onboard 1.3kW. 9.6kW total, just short of 1C.
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21