• March 29, 2024, 08:01:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29267 times)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »

I thought you could use a single J1772 plug to supply power to two Dignows like. you can with the Elcons. I suppose I'll just get one Diginow when I can afford it. I can sell my J1772 plug from Hollywood Electric along as well. Thanks guys.
The assumption is made that each J1772 power source is 220VAC (two legs i.e. L1 and L2 of 110VAC) totaling no greater than 6.6kW (as most ChargePoint stations have this limitation).

If you have one SCv2 module 3.3kW on L1, and some kind of hookup for the onboard charger on L2, then you are going to be under the 6.6kW presumed limitation.

However if you add an additional SCv2 module to this arrangement, the total power load will exceed 6.6kW and you're likely to trip most stations that are common in the USA.

It is for this scenario where you would be preferred to either:

A) Run two SCv2 modules from L1 and L2 (really in any arrangement 110Vac or 220Vac I think although there is probably some good reason to run each off a different power leg) and a second charge station connection for the onboard hookup
B) Run one SCv2 module from L1 and the onboard hookup from L2, and the second SCv2 module runs on another charging station connection.

The actual connections provided with installation may vary and in my initial installation of one SCv2 module from L1 there was a pigtail for Edison plug on L2 that I make accessible to connect with my onboard charging kettle cord power cable.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »

This makes me sad. I thought I'd be charging at 6.6kW with two, from a single EVSE. But if that pop's the breakers, there's not much that can be done. I suppose 4.6 is all I'll have for now. :(
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »

This makes me sad. I thought I'd be charging at 6.6kW with two, from a single EVSE. But if that pop's the breakers, there's not much that can be done. I suppose 4.6 is all I'll have for now. :(
Correct, there are some less powerful or wrongly installed EVSE out there that will fault with two SCv2 one on each leg. In these situations it has been useful that I connect with the single SCv2 and try adding in the onboard as well, that usually works. At that rate though you might as well go hunt for another station that can handle your two SCv2.

When you have more charging capability you will get motivated to map out which stations can handle your power requirements and forget about the weaker stations. At the worst eventuality you would charge from the onboard so all you are doing is adding the capability to accept power from stations that can give it.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

When you have more charging capability you will get motivated to map out which stations can handle your power requirements and forget about the weaker stations. At the worst eventuality you would charge from the onboard so all you are doing is adding the capability to accept power from stations that can give it.
And of course update that information to Plugshare, right? ;)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2017, 11:05:27 PM »

In a Tesla, it slowly increases the amperage. If the voltage drops, it throttles back before it trips the breaker or starts a fire. Could the controller on the Supercharger do something similar, watch for voltage sag and throttle back as needed?
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

In a Tesla, it slowly increases the amperage. If the voltage drops, it throttles back before it trips the breaker or starts a fire. Could the controller on the Supercharger do something similar, watch for voltage sag and throttle back as needed?
The controller on the SCv2 is capable of many things, for additional parts cost and complexity (read: hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours testing).

In real world use I just move on to a station that's been installed correctly.  In a bit of irony, the most recent stations that would fault on two SCv2 modules was at the Clipper Creek headquarters. I think they're mostly older units that have been installed outside the offices.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »

But, if I have both installed in my tank, how do I disconnect them/reconnect them on the fly depending on the station I'm at?
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:49 PM »

People get mad as it is when you pull up and an ICE vehicle is parked in an EV spot. Can you imagine if you pull up and a motorcycle left an open space but is using both charging stations?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »

But, if I have both installed in my tank, how do I disconnect them/reconnect them on the fly depending on the station I'm at?
The SCv2 system should not care if you used some common household wiring plugs. You would need them to be rated for the Amperage involved but it's no more complicated than that. See how I did mine: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Leave-In_Kettle_Cord
It could just as easily be that your second SCv2 has the plug made available to connect, as it would be like I have it to leave the kettle cord always in and available to leave connected or to disconnect.

I found it useful to have the onboard always connected because it saves me a few minutes here and there. Occasionally though the station will ground fault because of the presence (or lack of) a ground pin. I have a cheater plug that I put between the pigtail coming off one leg of the J1772 and the kettle cord that goes to the onboard charger, depending on the whimsy of however the EVSE I'm at is wired. Nothing at all to do with the SCv2 system it's just how EVSE charging tends to be where I have traveled.

People get mad as it is when you pull up and an ICE vehicle is parked in an EV spot. Can you imagine if you pull up and a motorcycle left an open space but is using both charging stations?
Yes that is curious. I got double-ICE'd at a station recently and still managed to squeeze between the vehicles to do a 10kW charge session.
Also there have been times where I'm hooking up both stations to my system and another EV rolls up in the spot next to me, they look at me and say "Oh hey thanks for getting my station ready" and then take the plug out of my bike. It's kind of hopeless to explain. They're often in a plug-in hybrid. The fully electric owners I find tend to either "get it" and ask that I plug them in when I'm done or they're completely unsure of how to interact with other EV owners.

I have been thinking about making a clearly labelled instruction in writing that says I will only be 1 hour and to leave your EV power inlet door open, I will plug you in when I am done. If you are in an emergency please only unplug one of my inlets (and to be clear which one).

Ideally though you max out your charging capabilities and never leave your charging bike unattended.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:09:52 AM by Shadow »

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2017, 12:34:21 AM »

Both stations and only pulling 3.3kW from one and 4.6kW from the other. "Only".
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »

I made an etiquette section on the unofficial manual just to index some recommendations and some cable tags that I've found helpful:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/EV_Charging#Etiquette

I bought a set of cable tags and will try using them, but ordinarily I have not had problems. Generally, though, having SCv1 or other equipment that makes scary fan sounds or looks like custom hardware probably scares people off. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2017, 04:25:09 AM »

I would stay near the bike if I was using 2 stations, but I also have hang tags that say 'OK to Unplug"

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »

I thought you could use a single J1772 plug to supply power to two Dignows like. you can with the Elcons. I suppose I'll just get one Diginow when I can afford it. I can sell my J1772 plug from Hollywood Electric along as well. Thanks guys.

Yes, I plug my first J-plug into my first two Diginow Elcon bricks.  To charge close to 1C, I plug in the third brick via the second J-Plug.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2017, 05:27:46 AM »

You use two 3.3s together on one J plug without problems?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:22:01 PM by nevetsyad »
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »

Yes, I plug my first J-plug into my first two Diginow Elcon bricks.  To charge close to 1C, I plug in the third brick via the second J-Plug.

Yes, typically a single j-plug works for 6.6 kW public charge station.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21